R

roadrat

Audioholic Intern
to a receiver without a sub-out?

Onkyo TX-8522 to be specific

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Yes, if the sub has speaker level inputs you could connect it that way.

You would set the front speakers to large if your receiver has that capability.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
to a receiver without a sub-out?

Onkyo TX-8522 to be specific
You could build a resistive network with a high pass filter- it's not elaborate and it works. Before anyone says it won't work or sound like angels singing, it works fine and it exactly the same kind of circuit on the high level input on a sub amp. Is it absolutely the best way? No, but it works well. I have one and have used it for years. I have measured the system response with it in place and, while it's a 6dB high pass for the mains and a resistive L-pad for the low pass, it has never been a problem.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

This is incorrect, your TX-8522 doesn't have pre-amp line out, only video out, which isn't the same.
Even if you had such pre-out, you still needed to cross-over your main speakers to stop low-freq signal ever reaching them (8522 doesn't have a cross-over)
You have only two options here:
A) Use High level speakers connections and connect them to your high level inputs on your sub (make sure to get one with such inputs) and use high level output on sub to connect your L/R speakers.

B) change to different receiver with bass management (x-over) and sub output

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You could build a resistive network with a high pass filter- it's not elaborate and it works. Before anyone says it won't work or sound like angels singing, it works fine and it exactly the same kind of circuit on the high level input on a sub amp. Is it absolutely the best way? No, but it works well. I have one and have used it for years. I have measured the system response with it in place and, while it's a 6dB high pass for the mains and a resistive L-pad for the low pass, it has never been a problem.
Yes, will absolutely work, however if pass it thru sub - you'll have a variable x-over , which will help you if you ever decide to change your l/r

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, will absolutely work, however if pass it thru sub - you'll have a variable x-over , which will help you if you ever decide to change your l/r
My sub has only line level inputs and X-over frequency, level and variable phase- it's my integrated amp that doesn't have a sub out. With the new receiver, it's not needed but I finally decided that I needed to bite the bullet and use what I sell. I also want to work with using a NAS as a media storage device, so I can make informed comments when customers ask about it.

The only problem with having a bunch of demo equipment is that I have to shell out thousands of dollars for it and that means I have to sell more in order to break even. Not exactly an easily met goal in this economy.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think your receiver has pre-outs/main ins.

Just make sure whatever sub you buy has speaker level inputs. Outputs are nice too but not mandatory unless you want to keep the lows from your mains.

C

cycledelics

Audiophyte
i have gotten by in the past by connecting to the headphone jack. it was the the easiest way to get a variable output. probably not the best but it did work.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic

This is incorrect, your TX-8522 doesn't have pre-amp line out, only video out, which isn't the same.
Even if you had such pre-out, you still needed to cross-over your main speakers to stop low-freq signal ever reaching them (8522 doesn't have a cross-over)
You have only two options here:
A) Use High level speakers connections and connect them to your high level inputs on your sub (make sure to get one with such inputs) and use high level output on sub to connect your L/R speakers.

B) change to different receiver with bass management (x-over) and sub output
Let’s see, I suggest the OP connect his receiver to his sub using the sub’s speaker level inputs and you say that’s incorrect.

Then you suggest “Use High level speakers connections and connect them to your high level inputs on your sub…”

WTF? You’re suggesting the same hook-up scheme that I suggested.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

i have gotten by in the past by connecting to the headphone jack. it was the the easiest way to get a variable output. probably not the best but it did work.
That would be fine- headphone jacks have added resistance and the danger of overdriving the sub's input is less than if you go straight in from the speaker output.

This works great as long as the headphone jack doesn't shut the signal to the speakers off.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Let’s see, I suggest the OP connect his receiver to his sub using the sub’s speaker level inputs and you say that’s incorrect.

Then you suggest “Use High level speakers connections and connect them to your high level inputs on your sub…”

WTF? You’re suggesting the same hook-up scheme that I suggested.
:eek: I guess I was a bit tipsy then I was writing this....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis