Is HD DVD Trying to WIN?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Over? Nothing is over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Perl Harbor? Ok seriously now, these guys are fighting it out to see who will be the last physical format dinosaur. Huge win for HD-DVD that I didnt see comming but still im specing out server hardware and OS apps I moved on from physical formats awhile ago. See you in the future :)
But where's the fun of collecting? At least the physical dinosaur is yours to do with as you please. Once the studios don't release physical formats only "rights" to, we as consumers are SCREWED! Rights can be taken away.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
We're the losers not the big corporations, this crap-war will now continue (if these stories are true; when it comes to CE I take all rumours and supposed stories with a huge grain of salt, more akin to a block of salt) and we as consumers will still be stuck with two formats and spending double the money on hardware, it's not fair. :mad:

I disagree. We are already huge winners from is "crap-war." HD was going to be 720p w/o BD to compete with. BD was going to use MPEG2 encoding until they had to compete with HD's encodes. HDM player prices were a ~$1K last year and and can be found for >$250 for one format and >$500 for the other. I believe DVD hardware only dropped 20% the first year. Right now you can own both formats in year 2 for the same or less than you could a single dvd player in year 2 without even adjusting for inflation.

M

McED

Enthusiast
Format war is good

Did anyone read David Carnoy from Cnet's thoughts on the format war? He brought up some really interesting points as to why the format is a good thing. Everyone's so focused on choosing a side, but I definitely recommend reading this article. It gave me a lot to think about!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I disagree. We are already huge winners from is "crap-war." HD was going to be 720p w/o BD to compete with. BD was going to use MPEG2 encoding until they had to compete with HD's encodes. HDM player prices were a ~$1K last year and and can be found for >$250 for one format and >$500 for the other. I believe DVD hardware only dropped 20% the first year. Right now you can own both formats in year 2 for the same or less than you could a single dvd player in year 2 without even adjusting for inflation.
Nonetheless, consumers will be stuck with a useless format. You're forced to become an early adopter buy 2 formats right now, 2 players (dualys are questionable when it comes to performance and reliability and cost) all with the risk that one segment of your collection will be "useless" someday. The laws of diminishing return wasn't what I was alluding to, neither performance specs.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Stratman - I agree, as whatever the dollar figure is, and the additional caveats that are in that contract with Paramount, the consumer loses that money not the studios.

Mark

A

ace55

Audiophyte
This whole format war has stifled what could have been a fast rise for HD quality on discs. Consumers are for the most part ...waiting.

K

kfalls

Audiophyte
I keep seeing "Paramount and Dreamworks going strictly HD-DVD". If you read the articles it's only Dreamworks animation. Spielberg wanted to be and was excluded. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" is scheduled to come out on Blu-ray. Also, you should read Michael Bay's comments about Paramount's decision. Apparently many other directors are upset about the decision. Worse-case, on the remote chance Blu-ray loses, they have the capacity to manufacturer HD-DVD discs, faster, cheaper and with better quality than they are now.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Stratman - I agree, as whatever the dollar figure is, and the additional caveats that are in that contract with Paramount, the consumer loses that money not the studios.

Mark
Right Mark, one other point that I didn't mention is software costs, you pay more for blu-ray/HD DVD, so from that point view a person is spending more money on a product that just might be obsolete in less than a year. There could be some unfortunate early adopters sitting with relatively new hardware that's useless (and expensive.)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Right Mark, one other point that I didn't mention is software costs, you pay more for blu-ray/HD DVD, so from that point view a person is spending more money on a product that just might be obsolete in less than a year. There could be some unfortunate early adopters sitting with relatively new hardware that's useless (and expensive.)
Some people are just looking for an excuse to buy new electronics anyway.
If they come out with Super Purple-Ray next year, those people will be the first waiting in line. And I'll be second:)

It's not about investing for the future. It's enjoyment now. It's just that not everyone enjoys the same thing. My preamps/amps/speakers will still be the same, but the media players will change with technology and time.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I still say when Criterion picks one, that's the time to buy.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I still say when Criterion picks one, that's the time to buy.

Just my $0.02.

Jim
Is Criterion that great?
I've owned Criterion movies before, and I have never noticed anything substantial about them.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Mostly it's because a lot of their titles are hard to find anywhere else. They have a good library of Kurosawa films and some others like Bergman and Goddard.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a Criterion disc of a movie I already own without a compelling reason. E.g. they either have or will shortly put out a disc of House of Games. I already have it on DVD and, while I like the film, I don't like it enough to buy it twice regardless of what else may be on the disc.

Jim

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Mostly it's because a lot of their titles are hard to find anywhere else. They have a good library of Kurosawa films and some others like Bergman and Goddard.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a Criterion disc of a movie I already own without a compelling reason. E.g. they either have or will shortly put out a disc of House of Games. I already have it on DVD and, while I like the film, I don't like it enough to buy it twice regardless of what else may be on the disc.

Jim
The best version of Blade Runner was the Criterion LD. :cool:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Some people are just looking for an excuse to buy new electronics anyway.
If they come out with Super Purple-Ray next year, those people will be the first waiting in line. And I'll be second:)

It's not about investing for the future. It's enjoyment now. It's just that not everyone enjoys the same thing. My preamps/amps/speakers will still be the same, but the media players will change with technology and time.
I use to be that way (8 track, LD, Minidisc), but I learned my lesson, early adopters always get burnt, there's no other way, either the technology goes south (like one HD format will) or the natural curve of diminishing returns will make your early purchase lose its value within a short period of time, either way one loses. I have other things (a 4 year old) that keep my money tied up, now when I was younger, single and freeeee...........:D:D:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I use to be that way (8 track, LD, Minidisc), but I learned my lesson, early adopters always get burnt, there's no other way, either the technology goes south (like one HD format will) or the natural curve of diminishing returns will make your early purchase lose its value within a short period of time, either way one loses. I have other things (a 4 year old) that keep my money tied up, now when I was younger, single and freeeee...........:D:D:D
Oh, I hear you. I have a 3 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old daughter! But the way I see, we spend easily $4,000 every year for 2 weeks of vacation. It only lasts 2 weeks, but we enjoy the heck out of it. Same with blu-ray or HD DVD. It costs $240 for an HD DVD player or $500 for a blu-ray. If you enjoy it enough, it's worth the money even if it only lasts 1 year. I have a friend who spends $200 per week on lotery tickets. He probably spends $10,000 per year gambling, mostly losing, of course. But he enjoys it for the time being.
So $240 or $500 for even 1 year of enjoyment is worth it----if you enjoy it.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, I hear you. I have a 3 yr old daughter and a 4 yr old daughter! But the way I see, we spend easily $4,000 every year for 2 weeks of vacation. It only lasts 2 weeks, but we enjoy the heck out of it. Same with blu-ray or HD DVD. It costs $240 for an HD DVD player or $500 for a blu-ray. If you enjoy it enough, it's worth the money even if it only lasts 1 year. I have a friend who spends $200 per week on lotery tickets. He probably spends $10,000 per year gambling, mostly losing, of course. But he enjoys it for the time being.
So $240 or $500 for even 1 year of enjoyment is worth it----if you enjoy it.
I guess that's one way of looking at it...if one has extra disposable income.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis