Is Harman/Kardon duping unsuspecting customers????

C

cozneffect

Enthusiast
1. Recently I purchased a H/K AVR335 Receiver. Although it was properly packed, I did not get any warranty card with the it. Otherwise I got all the accessories. On enquiring, the dealer told me that the H/K does not provide any separate warranty cards with its receivers and the product is replaced/repaired if it is found to be faulty i.e. warranty is by the word of mouth. Is this correct? Can the users tell me if they got any warranty card along with the operation manual and setup code booklet.

2. The receiver that I got did not have the sticker of the distributor on the carton. The other products that I purchased (JBL Northridge E Series speakers) had the stickers intact. The stickers have the price, date of manufacturing, date of import, country of origin etc. written on them. On
enquiring from my dealer, I was told that the receivers are not tagged individually and they are imported in a master carton (each containing a number of receivers) and it is the master carton on which distributor's sticker can be found. I don't know whether this is correct or not. Anyone who
has any idea about this, please elaborate. Can anyone also tell me as to how to distinguish an original H/K receiver from a fake look-alike?

3. I am also not able to program the Remote Controller of AVR 335 for my Sony DVD player. Is it normal to have such compatability issues or is there something wrong with the receiver? Here I would like to mention that I have been able to program the remote controller of AVR335 for my Sony
T.V. quite easily.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Every receiver will have a serial number. Simply go to harmon kardon's website and register the product online. I'm sure they can answer any questions you have about your warranty and how to program the remote.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As long as this place is an authorized dealer, you have nothing to worry about. I usually do not send in the warranty cards, and I have not had a problem getting warranty work on anything. If they are not an authorized dealer, it wouldn't matter if you had the little card, because your warranty would be void already.

3) It probably says this in the manual, but for some reason, some remotes just can't learn certain codes. I've only had it happen once or twice, but it isn't totally unusual, especially with an OEM remote.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
look on the back, it will have a sticker that stated the product number, and the month and year it was built.

you can register it, and as long as you have the receipt from an authorized dealer it will be under warranty.. if not then usually youre out of luck, no matter who the manufacturer is.. in my case, i bought it from an unauthorized dealer so the warranty was void, however since i emailed the customer service they were very kind and said they would allow the warranty anyway.

as for the remote, its not the best in the world, but it does program to the sony dvd players. i have one, and it works fine. buttons are a little confusing, and youll have to mess around with it to figure it out. the manual is also a little confusing but all the information is there. you dont seem to have any real problems with this reciever yet. if you need a better remote then you can buy a logitech harmony. those are supposedly the best ones out right now.

the 335 remote programs to my sony tv, sony dvd player, and sony ps2 just fine.

although some of the buttons arent there, most of them are, and onc eyou get used to it, it will work fine.

C

cozneffect

Enthusiast
Did you get any warranty card separately???

Anyone who is owning a h/k receiver, can you tell me whether or not you received any warranty card in the carton My authorized dealer has also given me the receipt but what I want to know is that whether a warranty card comes from the side of the company or not. Also, if any one can give me the e-mail of the customer care of h/k or tell me how to post my questions on their website. thanks

My receiver carries a serial no. on its back and the date of mfg. Is this the test of whether or not the receiver is genuine??

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
You should PM a member named buckeyefan or mrlambfries. Buckeye has the direct line to HK support that mrlambfries, formerly coops, used to get a situation resolved quickly and to his satisfaction. Here is a link to where you would register your receiver hk registration , and here's a link to customer support online contact form , and finally here is the number you are supposed to call 516-255-HKHK. I think the one Buckeye has is different though. Also you may want to go to harmankardon.com and go to the where to purchase section and see if your dealer is in fact authorized. I'm pretty sure that HK gives a warranty card out with new receivers. If anyone is pulling a fast one it is your dealer, not Harman International.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
alandamp said:
Every receiver will have a serial number. Simply go to harmon kardon's website and register the product online. I'm sure they can answer any questions you have about your warranty and how to program the remote.

I got the HK ARV 7200 from Harmon Direct, their e-bay store. When I received it, the receiver had a bad processor. I emailed them and got a number to call from Buckeyefan. In about 5 minutes of going through all the troubleshooting I had done, they e-mailed me a pre paid UPS stamp to send it back for a replacement. The customer service was great...They mentioned that they would even honor expired warranties just to keep the customer service standards top notch. I dont know what their policy is about buying from an unathorized dealer but I am sure they will do whats necessary to keep HK owners happy (at least thats the impression I got). Here is the link to the HK website.
http://www.harmanaudio.com
It can anser most questions you have. there is also a contact number you can call if need to speak with someone.
Customer service #-800-422-8027
Harmon Direct #-516-682-6438
(a guy by the name of Scott is who I delt with. he was very helpfull)
All I can say is my experience with their customer service was better than I expected.
About the warranty card...They said the receipt is all they need to honor the warranty. Even if this is misplaced they have all the information about the specific product tied to the serial # of the unit.
My only critique is their website and links seem to load very slow.
You shouldnt have any problems!
Good luck!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis