Is Emotiva losing some of it's luster?

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Just go to the beginning of the thread for a brief explanation. They are working on getting manufacturing operations back to the US.

DJ
I did see some comments at the beginning of the thread but no actual documentation. Garcia said they are doing all of their manufacturing in the US now, which is flat wrong, but no one had any facts on the matter. Which is why I'm asking now.

It appears from the responses that no one has any info which backs up that claim?

J

josko

Audioholic
I can only add that I'm really sick and tired of my UMC-1 and all its bugs and quirks. Sometimes i wonder why I just don't rip the thing out and ditch it. There's NO excuse for such a poor user interface.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I hear ya Josko. I loved the sound quality of my UMC but all of the quirks eventually pushed me to ditch it. I replaced it with a Marantz AV7005 and was never happy with it. It had a ground loop hum I couldn't get rid of and I don't think it sounded as good as the UMC.

So far I'm loving the XMC. Doesn't have the quirks that the UMC did and sounds great. Seems like people either love or hate Emotiva. I had smoke come out of my UMC once. Sent it back and got it fixed. I also had to send my XPA-5 back for service when a local calibrator played some test tones so loud that it blew up one of the channels along with the tweeters in 2 of my speakers. Emotiva fixed the amp for free when they would have been perfectly within their rights to say I had abused the amp. I've never been treated anything other than fair by Emotiva and I will forever be one of their biggest supporters. But you do hear stories of people getting lemons from them so perhaps they need to improve their QC.

itschris

itschris

I'm going to go back to 2008 when I joined up here and waited ... an waited... and waited for the original processor which was promised to be "next month" which I think they did for 2 years.

I've never been fond of a company that uses it's customer base as unwitting beta testers. I did buy cables from them... they looked nice but like others here have experienced... they not the best quality. The barrels on the plugs don't stay tight and the plugs themselves seem cheap. Whatever... you get what you pay for.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going to go back to 2008 when I joined up here and waited ... an waited... and waited for the original processor which was promised to be "next month" which I think they did for 2 years.

I've never been fond of a company that uses it's customer base as unwitting beta testers. I did buy cables from them... they looked nice but like others here have experienced... they not the best quality. The barrels on the plugs don't stay tight and the plugs themselves seem cheap. Whatever... you get what you pay for.
I didn't know that about the cables. They certainly look nice on the website.

Yeah, they pulled that same trick of "releasing any day now" for the XSP-1 and the XMC-1 too!

If they would have gotten their act together quicker, I would have bought an XSP-1. I got tired of waiting so got the USP-1 instead, and now I see no need to upgrade.

itschris

itschris

Regarding the cables... they're also kind of flat... like the two conductors are side by side so coiling excess cable is odd as well. It seems they're alway close but not quite with everything.

I like cables by the way so when I get around to it I'll be getting new speaker cables ... again. I made my own the first time and they came out okay... I think I'm going to go with Kimber next time around... not because they'll make things sound better but because they look cool and they have great quality.

Teaman

Teaman

Audiophyte
I own a ton of Emotiva and Sherbourn products and not one has given me an issue. I have amps, preamps, receivers and CD players. Never owned their speakers though. I have to say both the Stealth 8's and the Airmotive 4's have got great reviews in the past year though so...

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I'm glad to hear that. They replaced the bunk speaker, so I'm good now.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I own a ton of Emotiva and Sherbourn products and not one has given me an issue. I have amps, preamps, receivers and CD players. Never owned their speakers though. I have to say both the Stealth 8's and the Airmotive 4's have got great reviews in the past year though so...
You are lucky. I ha issues with all my Emotive gear except the XDA-1 which I still own... I have moved up to Parasound and ATI after all the issues. The ATI Has been solid but is expensive too... Love ATI amps..

Schurkey

Schurkey

Audioholic Intern
Is Emotiva Losing some of it's luster?

This presumes Emotiva had luster to begin with.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I've had my XPA-2 GEN 2 for about a year and half now. No issues. Yeah I wish I could afford ATI or some other higher end amps, but for the money, Emo provides the power I need. I plan to finish my rig with Emo amps.

A

Archimago

Enthusiast
Emo XSP-1 and 2 XPA-1L amps. Gen 1 for all 3.

Functioning very well, no issues in about 2 years now.

One issue I have had has been the XLR connectors being very tight for some of my cables. Has anyone had any issues with this?

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am still happy that I sold my EMO amp to Rick. I do however miss the ability to turn the right channel on or off by slightly lifting the left/front corner of the amp up a 1/16th of an inch....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am still happy that I sold my EMO amp to Rick. I do however miss the ability to turn the right channel on or off by slightly lifting the left/front corner of the amp up a 1/16th of an inch....
Oh, that's just mean, Dawg! Just plan mean. :D

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Well, if that happens they're going to really have to amp up their QC. Salon owners aren't going to put up with a high number of defects.

DJ

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, if that happens they're going to really have to amp up their QC. Salon owners aren't going to put up with a high number of defects.

DJ
Yup, I was thinking the same thing.

You know the XMC-1 is manufactured in the USA, and they claim to be moving other products over here too. Hopefully that will help them out on the QC end.

I wonder if the B&M sells will keep the 30 day return/no questions asked policy. Seems unlikely.

B

Big Jake

Junior Audioholic
Sad to hear that EMO has it's quality problems, but can it be any worse than Onkyo?

I've come very close a time or two to buying an XPA-100 to use for biamping my center channel speaker. Won't be needing it now though because the Denon AVR-X7200WA has totally assignable speaker outputs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis