Is diet soda worse for you than regular?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
is diet pepsi or diet coke worse for you?

is diet pepsi or diet coke worse for you?

Matt34

Matt34

They both containvaspartameAFAIK and diet soda usually has a higher sodium content than regular soda which can result in more water retention.

Moderation is the key regardless of your drink of choice.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes it is. Aspertame is also linked to heart issues. Most regular soda uses corn syrup as the primary sweetener, and though it isn't exactly bad for you, it isn't good for you either because your body doesn't process it the same as cane sugar.

Last edited:

Senior Audioholic
The bigger issue is the phosphoric and citric acids leach calcium from your bones.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The bigger issue is the phosphoric and citric acids leach calcium from your bones.
Yep. One of our neighbors worked at a few different major soda bottlers and said that the majority of the chemicals that go into making soda are all considered hazardous materials prior to being combined into what we drink.

Matt34

Matt34

Yep. One of our neighbors worked at a few different major soda bottlers and said that the majority of the chemicals that go into making soda are all considered hazardous materials prior to being combined into what we drink.
I've never been a hardcore soda drinker but completely stopped a couple years ago. We eat and drink way too much processed food these days and I strongly believe it's a major factor in the current obesity epidemic the U.S is experiencing.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
No. Aspartame may be a little bad. Sugar is definitely very very bad.

jinjuku

jinjuku

All things in moderation.

Diet foods with Aspartame will actually give me a headache just 20 minutes after consumption. When I go out I tend to get Half and Half Tea/Sweet Tea if not water.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No. Aspartame may be a little bad. Sugar is definitely very very bad.
HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup, as I mentioned before, is what is not good for you. It is a byproduct, not a naturally occurring sugar, so effectively man-made. And just TRY to find a general product on the shelf at your store that does not have it as an ingredient. Natural sugar - cane or beet, is not bad for you in moderation.

All things in moderation.
Exactly. Practically ANYTHING is bad for you if you overdo it.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
A 20-oz bottle of soda with 50 grams of sugar is not "in moderation."

jinjuku

jinjuku

A 20-oz bottle of soda with 50 grams of sugar is not "in moderation."
It is interesting to speak with my neighbors who are in their 80's. When they were kids Soda was a rare treat. They would get cups, fill them up to the brim with ice, and then split a couple of pint's among them.

Today it is 1 liter bottles sitting in the cooler. People aren't much effing smarter about either. I freaked years ago when my brother and my 5 year old nephew came over and he had given him a 20 oz Mountain Dew:eek: I understand the NY ban consideration. I don't want to be paying the medical establishment for your fat, diabetic, chronic health problem self.

We almost got into a physical altercation when I straight up asked my brother which kind of stupid was he.

But that pales in comparison to my dad showing my other three year old nephew a hand gun during Christmas. That was in each other face, f-bombs flying, my dad probably close to a heart attack or stroke and me threatening to call the sheriff and let dad explain himself.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Too many times I've seen maybe two to five year old kids in the back seat of cars with a bottle of soda. No wonder these kids have behavior issue's.
I have a friend that feeds her two year old Banquet pot pies and Kool Aid. Of course I can't say anything because I don't have children myself.

When I did drink soda, I drank clear soda's. Not that they're any better, but.. When I drank diet soda, it just didn't taste right to me and I ended up wanting/craving sugared soda. I have been off soda, drugs, and religion for about 15 years and I still have cravings for two of the three. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. My name is Adam, and I'm a diet soda drinker.

"Hi, Adam."

I started drinking diet soda in high school after my older brother started. He stopped long ago, but I'm more of a creature of habit I guess. Regular soda coats my teeth and is too sticky to me. If I drink too much diet soda, then I can't think straight...so I try not to drink too much. :)

As a kid, my parents limited my brothers and me to 8 ounces of soda a day. I guess that they were on to something. We'd sneak some extra every now and then, but not often. As I got older, we'd buy our own soda because we had jobs.

Neither is that awesome for you, I suppose, but everything in life leads to the ultimate end.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup, as I mentioned before, is what is not good for you. It is a byproduct, not a naturally occurring sugar, so effectively man-made. And just TRY to find a general product on the shelf at your store that does not have it as an ingredient. Natural sugar - cane or beet, is not bad for you in moderation.
Yes, HFCS is not good for you, but for exactly same reasons as regular sugar.
There is not much difference, except processed food manufacturers replaced regular sugar with CS and use same or higher quantify of it (it's much cheaper), while the CS is 20% sweeter.
Don't blame HFCS, it's the food producers who are guilty of abusing it to death (literally)

Watch the videos I linked before, at least to 47min mark - and skip to last 5mins , unless you understand bio-chemistry.

Exactly. Practically ANYTHING is bad for you if you overdo it.
Very true

jinjuku

jinjuku

Old English Proverb:

Dig not your grave with a fork and knife.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis