Is a zone-2 subwoofer possible?

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I have 2 outdoor speakers for my patio connected as zone-2 on my Denon AVR-3311. If I want a subwoofer outside too how would I go about connecting it?

I currently use the SW port in the red area of the picture with the black square around it for my inside 5.1 HT system.

Could I use the SW port under the Pre-Out (lower right) for my outside subwoofer for zone-2? If so, are there any other settings I would have to make on my AVR-3311 to turn it on for zone-2 or does it automatically recognize it when I plug a subwoofer into it?

I haven't actually purchased the outdoor subwoofer yet so I'm just wondering if I can do this before spending the money.

[/IMG]

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Do you use a separate amplifier for zone 2 or is it built into your avr?

If it is built in and your avr doesnt have low level outputs for zone 2, than you need a sub woofer with an internal crossover that accept high level inputs...

If you have low level zone 2 rca outputs, simply use an rca splitter and plug an rca into your outdoor subwoofer, again you will need a sub with an intergrated amplifier and cross over, which most have...

PS outdoor subs are awesome my brother has 2 buried subs, by his pool, they sound awesome...

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I just have 2 Klipsch AW-650 speakers connected to my Denon AVR-3311 as the picture shows for zone-2.

I am not using a seperate amplifier or the Pre-Outs on my AVR.

Just wondering if I would be able to connect a subwoofer to work with zone-2 with what I have now or would I need a seperate amp?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Yes you will need a sub with speaker level inputs and its own cross over and amplifier. It looks like your avr has both preout and its own amplifier, so you can power your speakers with the avr's internal zone 2 amplifier, and either run an rca to a subwoofer with its own crssover and amplifier, or runa separate amplifier with a passive sub woofer, but somewhere in there you will need a low pacc crossover, this can be as easy as an fmod 80hz lp, or using an amp like the ava150 which has an auto on function and built in crossver... This is a lot easier than it sounds....

What sub are you thinking about getting?
Whats your budget?
What style sub? Buried, stand, wall mount?
Do you have power plugs where you want the sub to be located?

If I was doing this I would buy this sub http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Control-400-Watt-Outdoor-Subwoofer/dp/B000US9DHI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1352310127&sr=8-11&keywords=outdoor+subwoofer and hook the speaker wires from your avr zone 2 directly to this sub, then run the sat outputs from this sub to your 2 speakers.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Control-SB210-Dual-10-Subwoofer-Indoor-Outdoor-Install-Grade-400W-NIB-/251166652576?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item3a7ab2f8a0 that is a good price for that sub, they have dual 10" woofers and look good outside..

page 13 top picture http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/Sub_Sat_App_Guide_070130.pdf

Last edited:
GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Great info, thanks! This is well detailed for what I want to do.

I only budgeted around $500 for this.

Believe it or not, that JBL SB-210 is the exact same subwoofer I have had in my Amazon Wish List for the last week or so!

I also looked at the buried subs like the SpeakerCraft BoomTomb but decided that with additional electrical wiring it was going to be too much hassle and $....although it would probably sound tons better!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Great info, thanks! This is well detailed for what I want to do.

I only budgeted around $500 for this.

Believe it or not, that JBL SB-210 is the exact same subwoofer I have had in my Amazon Wish List for the last week or so!

I also looked at the buried subs like the SpeakerCraft BoomTomb but decided that with additional electrical wiring it was going to be too much hassle and $....although it would probably sound tons better!
That jbl is plenty of sub to match them speakers you have...

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Yes it's verey simple, I uesd the zone 2 on my amp and ran the cables ffrom the avr to the subwoofer high level inputs then out of that to the speakers this works fine :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis