S

sddt

Audioholic
Just picked up this IR sensor the other day and was wondering what type of plug I could get to wire to it. The sensor consists of 3 wires and the port for the jack on the back of my receiver looks like a small A/V jack that you would see on a portable DVD player (sorry, not quite sure what size it is). Below is a link to the sensor:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-868&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=2298348#reviews

I was thinking about cannibalizing an A/V cable that has the jack already on it but wanted to check here first. Thanks for any help!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Just picked up this IR sensor the other day and was wondering what type of plug I could get to wire to it. The sensor consists of 3 wires and the port for the jack on the back of my receiver looks like a small A/V jack that you would see on a portable DVD player (sorry, not quite sure what size it is). Below is a link to the sensor:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-868&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=2298348#reviews

I was thinking about cannibalizing an A/V cable that has the jack already on it but wanted to check here first. Thanks for any help!
sddt: If you would like a male plug for your receiver, it's model number and designation would help in getting a quick reply. Thanks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The IR in jack would be 3.5mm so you'd need a 3.5 mm (1/8") mono plug.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Thanks MDS! So the 3.5mm mono jack can handle 3 connections?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You may also need a IR hub to connect it too and then distribute it to the vaious flashers or IR inputs.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-860

I am not sure how this would go to a mono-plug. The wires should be +,- and IR. According to the pdf http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/182-868m.pdf that went to your product these wires would go to the above hub and then you would run the mono plug from one of the emitter outs to the IR in on the back of your receiver. This is how my Niles functions and the IR receivers cannot go directly into the receiver. These may work different but the instructions do not indicate that.

S

sddt

Audioholic
So you guys are thinking that I won't be able to wire the sensor directly into the back of the receiver?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
So you guys are thinking that I won't be able to wire the sensor directly into the back of the receiver?
Correct. I have not seen any literature that states this can be done. Both the Niles that bandfan linked and the one from parts express that I linked are the control units that will take the signal and feed it to multiple flashers. It also will give the ability to read the "status" of the unit you are controling so the controller will "know" if the unit is on or off.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Yes with certian components there is ir out/in, thats what the ir control is for, for that compononent only unless your are sr ir like in pioneer, example

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, that is correct. It needs a power supply that the hub provides.

S

sddt

Audioholic
Kewl, thank guys. Last question, I noticed that I have to buy the power supply seperately. What about the jack that goes into the back of the receiver? I did not see anything like it available at parts express.

Also, my Onkyo does have an IR in and out on the back. What concerns me is the diagrams from the pdf's for the IR/HUB from parts Express show the use of IR emitters to talk with the IR sensor on the front of the receiver. Do you guys think I will stilll be able to hard wire this sensor to the receiver even with that hub?

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Kewl, thank guys. Last question, I noticed that I have to buy the power supply seperately. What about the jack that goes into the back of the receiver? I did not see anything like it available at parts express.

Also, my Onkyo does have an IR in and out on the back. What concerns me is the diagrams from the pdf's for the IR/HUB from parts Express show the use of IR emitters to talk with the IR sensor on the front of the receiver. Do you guys think I will stilll be able to hard wire this sensor to the receiver even with that hub?
I bought the power supplies from rat shack for my status power supply but I am sure you could use the same one for the controller supply.

You will need a 3.5mm mono plug from the controller to the IR input on your receiver. You will probably need to configure the IR settings in your receiver. I have only used these for zone 2 & 3 so I cannot attest to using this for your main zone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis