Ipod to Home Theater

irishmcmorgan

irishmcmorgan

Audioholic Intern
I was wondering what you guys suggest to run between the ipod and my stereo? I was just thinking a simple rca to phono? DO you guys suggest any brands or certain types? thanks

J

johsti

Audioholic
Just go get a cheap one from Radioshack. I think they're like $5 for 3' rca to 1/8" mini stereo. It will work just as well as the monster or belkin etc.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
irishmcmorgan said:
I was wondering what you guys suggest to run between the ipod and my stereo? I was just thinking a simple rca to phono? DO you guys suggest any brands or certain types? thanks
I presume that you are not going to use your iPod for critical listening and the purpose of this connection is to have your music library available through the stereo. If your stereo has an FM tuner, the iPod FM Transmitter attachment will do the trick without wires.

If you want to go with wires, the headphone to rca L-R cable can be used to connect the iPod to the stereo's input. Something like this,
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4894oiv1tMq/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=043183190

G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
I was just thinking a simple rca to phono?
For some reason, I was not able to get satisfactory sound through the phono connection. I would recommend trying the other open inputs on your receiver as well to determine which one sounds the best. In my case, there was a significant improvement after moving away from phono.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
irishmcmorgan said:
Use AUX or TAPE or CD or other RCA inputs, but do not use the PHONO inputs. The phono inputs expect a very low voltage and apply an equalization curve to account for RIAA curve standards.

For cable, I recommend a high quality and durable one, such as the Belkin one that costs about $15 at big box retailers. The reason for this is that the IPOD is a device that will often be moved with the cable still attached. The very low cost grade cable(like at Radio Shack) will most probably fail within a short time period, unless they now carry a more expensive better made version. But I have several of their plastic molded end variants and they all eventually failed due to poor internal connection with the wire(they were crimped -- and poorly at that -- instead of soldered internally). The Belkin cable has high durability cable, metal plugs and soldered internal connections. It should last a very long time.

-Chris

irishmcmorgan

irishmcmorgan

Audioholic Intern
thanks i think i am going to go with the Belkin, and oh yeah sorry about the confusion I am going to run ir through the CD input.

Jacob:D

droeses58

droeses58

Audioholic
irishmcmorgan said:
Is there no digital output on the Ipod?:confused:

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
droeses58 said:
Is there no digital output on the Ipod?:confused:
Nope. You're going to use the analog output for the headphones into stereo RCA. You can also use the front analog inputs available on most modern receivers. I use the best quality RS cables, they thick ones with gold plating, and they work fine for half the price of the Belkin. If, and I mean if, they fail in a few years you can always buy another set and still be money ahead. ;)

G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
I also found that the sound quality is far superior if you use the iPod's line out rather than the headphone jack.

I use an iPod dock or a Sendstation PocketDock or TURBO II. These devices will allow you to output the signal through the bottom port of the iPod---the direct line out.

J

johsti

Audioholic
rca to phono is what radioshack calls them. It has nothing to do with a turntable input on a receiver. I don't think the OP was trying to connect his ipod to a phono input on his receiver(I hope not).

$5 or $15 is not a lot of money. I would get the RS cable and buy a sandwich or something. It has gold connectors, and I've never had a problem with any of their cables. I use one in my car to connect my iriver. It has taken plenty of abuse.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
gnagel said:
I also found that the sound quality is far superior if you use the iPod's line out rather than the headphone jack.
How can the sound be "far superior", when the verified [1]measured headphone output quality is nothing less than excellent? Better than many home cd players, even? The measurements suggested nothing less than transparency.

-Chris

[1] http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/934/index5.html

Last edited:
G

gnagel

Junior Audioholic
WmAx said:
How can the sound be "far superior", when the verified measured headphone output quality is nothing less than excellent? Better than many home cd players, even? The measurements suggested nothing less than transparency. Stereophile did extensive measurements on an Ipod's headphone out a while back.

-Chris
Maybe it's just my iPod(s)...

I have a 5th generation 60 GB video iPod. I find the quality of the sound to be far superior when connecting the iPod to the stereo via the iPod's line out rather than the headphone jack.

The difference in sound quality is so apparent that I now listen to the iPod via the line out nearly all the time. My portable set up is to play the iPod via the line out to a Supermacro amplifier and then to the earphones.

This morning I accidentally connected my iPod to the amp using the headphone jack. I immediately noticed the difference in sound quality and moved the connection to the iPod's line out.

The same is true with my 3rd generation iPod.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
gnagel said:
Maybe it's just my iPod(s)...
The difference in sound quality is so apparent that I now listen to the iPod via the line out nearly all the time. My portable set up is to play the iPod via the line out to a Supermacro amplifier and then to the earphones.
Keyword: apparent. In lack of supporting meausurements correlated with known human thresholds, or a propler level-matched blind comparison, it won't be known if the difference you percieved is one due to output quality problems or due only to perception.

-Chris

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Digital.

Analog.

I find it hard to believe that the digital line level output would sound "far superior" over using the headphone output. Every article I've read where someone has connected an iPod to a high end audio system has always used the headphone output with great results.

Chris, let me know which docking station you rush out and buy tomorrow. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis