J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
Hello everyone,
I have asked many questions on this forum about my HT system and have always gotten great advice. I do not even know if ipods are discussed on the forums but I will ask my question anyway. I really know nothing about ipods but I want to buy one for when I am at the gym. I want it to be very small and only want it for music. Is there anything in particular I need to know so I do not spend money on a bunch of options I will not utilize? Also, what is the procedure for downloading music onto them? Is it complicated? I really know nothing about them. If these questions sound dumb I apologize. Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
When you say "Ipod",...

..does this mean that your search is limited to the product put out by Apple, or are you using it in the generic fashion to mean all MP3 players?

i.e. Xerox is a trade name but also means "to copy something".

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
There are much more affordable MP3 players than the iPod.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Seth=L said:
There are much more affordable MP3 players than the iPod.
There are...but $79 for the 1GB Shuffle isn't a bad price, either. And for a workout player, do you really need a screen? *shrug*

As for loading music onto the iPods...its incredibly simple.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I've got to give the nod to the new iPod shuffle; hard to beat for $80, 1GB drive, and the iTunes thing is pretty easy to operate. Consider better/different headphones though: the ones that come w/ the iPods are OK, but I can't see them staying place if you're moving around much for lifting...

Bryan...it looks like the Zune is gonna get stomped bythe 80GB iPod this season...

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
I did not know that an ipod and an mp3 player were different (Now I feel really stupid). Which one should I lean towards? My main concern is that it is small and just used for music only. I do want to stay with a reputable brand of course. What is a screen used for anyway and why would it be beneficial to have one? Do you have to pay for music that is downloaded onto the mp3 or ipod? Thanks in advance.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
jayswizz said:
I did not know that an ipod and an mp3 player were different (Now I feel really stupid). Which one should I lean towards? My main concern is that it is small and just used for music only. I do want to stay with a reputable brand of course. What is a screen used for anyway and why would it be beneficial to have one? Do you have to pay for music that is downloaded onto the mp3 or ipod? Thanks in advance.
After some research I am definitely leaning towards an ipod.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
jayswizz said:
I did not know that an ipod and an mp3 player were different (Now I feel really stupid).
All spiders are bugs, but not all bugs are spiders.

jayswizz said:
Which one should I lean towards?
There are many. Many, such as Apple's Ipods use internal rechargable batteries. Othere, such as my pez sized Sandisk Sansa M240 run on quickly and easily replaced AAA batteries. Your choice here.

jayswizz said:
My main concern is that it is small and just used for music only. I do want to stay with a reputable brand of course.
Did you do a search on the web to see what they look like? A picture is worth a thousand words (and takes up more disk space) Go to amazon and search for "MP3 players" to get an idea.

jayswizz said:
What is a screen used for anyway and why would it be beneficial to have one?
Anything that can be displayed. Small screens (like on my tiny Sansa) simply allow music/mode selection and scroll two lines of Song/Artist/Album info. Larger units with larger screens can display album art, videos and what not.

jayswizz said:
Do you have to pay for music that is downloaded onto the mp3 or ipod? Thanks in advance.
If you download music from the biggies (Itunes, Rhapsody, etc) you pay for each song you download. I use WMP and rip my CD's to WMP and then copy it to my Sansa. I could also buy music on the web, store it on my 'puter and transfer it to the player. Not having an "official Apple Ipod" unit, I can only hope they would be able to do the same. Others will confirm or correct.

In the meantime, get searching Amazon (or any other place that sells 'em) to get an idea what you're asking about. Some of your questions are better answered by a little personal investigation, particularly about the physical attributes of these things. Virtually all have pictures and give the approximate physical dimensions

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
jayswizz said:
Hello everyone,
I have asked many questions on this forum about my HT system and have always gotten great advice. I do not even know if ipods are discussed on the forums but I will ask my question anyway. I really know nothing about ipods but I want to buy one for when I am at the gym. I want it to be very small and only want it for music. Is there anything in particular I need to know so I do not spend money on a bunch of options I will not utilize? Also, what is the procedure for downloading music onto them? Is it complicated? I really know nothing about them. If these questions sound dumb I apologize. Thanks
The iPod shuffle is what you're looking for. It's *perfect* for the gym.

I went with an 8GB iPod Nano because I wanted to fit more of my music collection on it. I still use it at the gym. There's really nothing comparable to either of these on the market.

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
I want to Thank the people helping me with this post and I will be checking out Amazon. I have alredy learned a bunch just from this post. Thanks again

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Just received an ipod shuffle in todays mail that I ordered for my grandson.....amazing. This thing looks like an office paper clip...less in size than a book of matches. If you decide to go the Apple route, just order it straight from Apple. Same price everywhere and Apple ships it free...plus they'll engrave it at no charge.... but I had to get a magnifying glass out to see if they spelled the kids name right;)

Mort

J

jayswizz

Junior Audioholic
Mort Corey said:
Just received an ipod shuffle in todays mail that I ordered for my grandson.....amazing. This thing looks like an office paper clip...less in size than a book of matches. If you decide to go the Apple route, just order it straight from Apple. Same price everywhere and Apple ships it free...plus they'll engrave it at no charge.... but I had to get a magnifying glass out to see if they spelled the kids name right;)

Mort
Thanks Mort. I am leaning towards the ipod nano. How long did it take to arrive?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
jayswizz said:
Thanks Mort. I am leaning towards the ipod nano. How long did it take to arrive?
The Nano rules. I picked mine up at my local Apple store.

I've seen the things on display many times, but I was struck by how elegant, small, and lightweight it was the first time I held it. A very impressive piece of engineering and an excellent MP3 player.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
jayswizz said:
I didn't think to mention this for the shuffle (since its so small and light), but the cases on the other iPods have a tendancy to scratch pretty easily. If you're not looking for a full waterproof case, check out http://ifrogz.com/ their cases are pretty durable and let you mix and match colors and screen protectors.

Bryan...got the "hippie" color for mine...:D

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Took four days from clicking "order" to having it in my hand. About the same amount of time as when I ordered one of the full size ipods for my granddaughter earlier this year.

Mort

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The new Nano has an aluminum case like the Shuffle and Mini. It doesn't have a problem with scratches. Only the full-size iPod Video still has a scratching problem.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
jonnythan said:
The new Nano has an aluminum case like the Shuffle and Mini. It doesn't have a problem with scratches. Only the full-size iPod Video still has a scratching problem.
Good to know: I'd been thinking about one or the other as a present for my wife this year, and in all honesty I've seen her scratch concrete.

Bryan...exaggerating a tad, perhaps...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Would you really put your workout second seat to your music? I can't stand bad music all the time, let alone when I'm working out.

Ipod have pretty nasty headphone outs, and Creative models do everything they do, and more, for less.

The new shuffle is one of a kind, but it still sounds like an apple.

SheepStar

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Would you really put your workout second seat to your music? I can't stand bad music all the time, let alone when I'm working out.

Ipod have pretty nasty headphone outs, and Creative models do everything they do, and more, for less.
Uh, what? Everything I've read on the subject says that iPods have *great* headphone out ports. Mine sounds fantastic on my home stereo. The headphones they come with kinda suck, though.

Note: the iPod 5G has improved older iPod audio out quality by quite a bit and it apparently has about the same quality as the Shuffle and Nano.

HiFiVoice:
"I've also performed some quick-and-dirty comparisons with other MP3 playback devices (e.g. iRiver H10, Creative Zen Vision M:3, Sony Ericsson W800, Palm Tungsten T3, Cowon iAudio X5L). In most cases the iPod sounded overall better (more coherent and transparent)"

Stereophile:
"The compressed formats began to show some real promise at 320kbps. Definition, detail, and soundstaging were all impressive, and high-frequency response was almost liquid in its lack of edge effects."

PCMag:
"Apple's new iPod shuffle has stellar audio performance. In the bass registers, it blows away the competition"
"I believe I proved that my ears were right: Several other hard drive players edge out older Apple players, but the iPod shuffle does them all one better"

iLounge:
"All of these fixes make us considerably happier about the 5G iPod’s audio performance than we were before, and we’re thrilled to see that Apple has addressed them."

And BTW, Creative doesn't have a single player that competes with the Nano or Shuffle (or even the Video). All "competing" Creative players are all much larger and heavier.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Sheep,

I find the pre-set EQ settings are what make the headphone jack sound bad. If you don't use the EQ it doesn't sound bad but I do prefer my line out/amp solution though. I wish they had the option for a custom EQ setting.

To the OP,

I use my 1G 4gig Nano solely for the gym and love it for that purpose. Utilizing a flash base drive I don't have to worry about it's durability to take a fall as much. I also love the Nike+ system for tracking my runs and has proven to be accurate at +/- .1 a mile on a 4 mile run.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis