iPad will surpass Xbox 360 graphics in a year

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
You can doubt what I know and have experience with all you want. I can say from personal experience with apple products that they are marginal at best. I owned the original Iphone. After about 7 months of use the battery started to fail. I found out that the battery was built into the phone and could not be replaced. Needless to say, it soon ended up as a tenant of the nearest garbage can.
My room mate bought and Ipad when they were first released. Not more than 4 months later the battery is failing (only holds a charge for 35-40 Min.). I would hardly call either of these a quality product.

The new Iphone is another flop. Not soon after the release, They realized there was a huge problem. The aluminum case is connected to the antenna, and the simple act of holding the phone in your hand shorts the antenna and causes it to loose signal.
While we are on the Iphone, they use obsolete coding for their apps, causing app creators to jave to re learn old coding. Forcing use of apple only apps.

I have used mac computers, and find them to be less capable of easy upgrades. And performance wise you can build a cheaper "PC" with double the performance for the same price. They are more tailored and aimed at people who want a convenient plug and play package that is "cool" looking. These are usually the same people who purchase a bose system because it is just easier or TV told them to.

As for their video editing programs, I cannot speak as to their quality. I have no need for them, so I have no clue. But I very much that any major motion picture company used their software to edit movies. If there are instances I would very much like to hear of them.

I am not just trying to flame apple, I have just seen too many down sides to their products to have any faith in the quality of their future developments. I will say 1 thing in their defense. Apparently they don't have a completely flat learning curve, because they made the battery of the new Iphone removable. But the Droid X is a far superior phone, with a better carrier. So I have to disagree that the Iphone is the best. Just my opinion.

-Greg
A lot of you points are not based on fact and I am not going to get into a Mac vs PC war in this thread. The new iphone is certainly far from a flop and Apple has issued a fix and is making good on the the problem if you have been paying attention. You could build or buy a faster PC, but it would not be twice as fast and not necessarily cheaper. You would find it difficult to buy or build something twice as fast as a Mac Pro with dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons. Alienwares fastest compare but they are not cheap either, and I don't know if you can put on 32 gigs of RAM on one like on Mac Pro. Mac Pro's are due for an upgrade too soon I would expect. However, I realize you are probably just exaggerating. As for no movies being edited with Final Cut you are way, way wrong. Here is a list of some

Major films edited with Final Cut Pro

The Rules of Attraction (2002)[6]
Full Frontal (2002)[6]
The Ring (2002)
Cold Mountain (2003) (Academy Award nominee for Best Editing – Walter Murch)[6]
Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
Open Water (2003)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
The Ladykillers (2004)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
Super Size Me (2004)
Corpse Bride (2005)
Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005)
Happy Endings (2005)
Ellie Parker (2005)
Jarhead (2005)
Little Manhattan (2005)
Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
300 (2007)[6]
Black Snake Moan (2006)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Happy Feet (2006)
Zodiac (2007)
The Simpsons Movie (2007)
No Country for Old Men (2007) (Academy Award nominee for Best Editing – Roderick Jaynes)
Reign Over Me (2007)
Youth Without Youth (2007)
Balls of Fury (2007)
The Tracey Fragments (2008)
Traitor (2008)
Burn After Reading (2008)
The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
(500) Days of Summer (2009)
Where the Wild Things Are (2009)[6]
A Serious Man (2009)
Tetro (2009)
Los XV de Vianey sobrina del padre hector (2010)
Los XV de Evelyn la clon de LOLA BUNNY (2010)
Just for the Record (2010)

Oh and lets not forget Lord of the Rings. Final Cut was used a lot in those films too.

Last edited:
S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
A lot of you points are not based on fact and I am not going to get into a Mac vs PC war in this thread. The new iphone is certainly far from a flop and Apple has issued a fix and is making good on the the problem if you have been paying attention. As for no movies being edited with Final Cut you are way, way wrong. Here is a list of some

Major films edited with Final Cut Pro

The Rules of Attraction (2002)[6]
Full Frontal (2002)[6]
The Ring (2002)
Cold Mountain (2003) (Academy Award nominee for Best Editing – Walter Murch)[6]
Intolerable Cruelty (2003)
Open Water (2003)
Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
The Ladykillers (2004)
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
Super Size Me (2004)
Corpse Bride (2005)
Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005)
Happy Endings (2005)
Ellie Parker (2005)
Jarhead (2005)
Little Manhattan (2005)
Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
300 (2007)[6]
Black Snake Moan (2006)
Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)
Happy Feet (2006)
Zodiac (2007)
The Simpsons Movie (2007)
No Country for Old Men (2007) (Academy Award nominee for Best Editing – Roderick Jaynes)
Reign Over Me (2007)
Youth Without Youth (2007)
Balls of Fury (2007)
The Tracey Fragments (2008)
Traitor (2008)
Burn After Reading (2008)
The X-Files: I Want to Believe (2008)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
(500) Days of Summer (2009)
Where the Wild Things Are (2009)[6]
A Serious Man (2009)
Tetro (2009)
Los XV de Vianey sobrina del padre hector (2010)
Los XV de Evelyn la clon de LOLA BUNNY (2010)
Just for the Record (2010)

Oh and lets not forget Lord of the Rings. Final Cut was used a lot in those films too.
That's like 30 movies out of the 10,000+ since 2002. I would hardly call that a significant amount. And most were very bad movies with low budgets, which explains the use of apple software. I am not trying to start a pc vs. mac war either. I would say judging by your username you are very much partial to macs and apple products, so I would suggest your outlook and opinion is quite biased. But that is your right to your opinion and I have my right to mine. Lets call it that and leave it alone.
-Greg

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
That's like 30 movies out of the 10,000+ since 2002. I would hardly call that a significant amount. And most were very bad movies with low budgets, which explains the use of apple software. I am not trying to start a pc vs. mac war either. I would say judging by your username you are very much partial to macs and apple products, so I would suggest your outlook and opinion is quite biased. But that is your right to your opinion and I have my right to mine. Lets call it that and leave it alone.
-Greg
First of all I said that was some, not all. And I would hardly call Lord of the Rings, 300, Cold Mountain, etc. low budget. Like you said you don't know anything about video editing, sound recording and such and it shows. Final Cut is one of the top video editing programs out there and used a lot in film and televison. As for me, just so you know, I am an ex IT person and have used pretty much just about everything From IBM OS 400, AIX, to Sun stuff. I use Apple computers because I love the OS. Hardware is hardware.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
-Greg
If you think the Iphone sucks I'd be happy to let you try my old razr for a few weeks. Sucks has a definition and it's not the Iphone. I much prefer ATT to Sprint or T-Mobile which both stunk when I had them. Verizon charges twice the cancellation fee too.

As far as Apple vs. PC. I have no doubt Apple OS runs faster than Windows 7. Windows has very loose memory management which leaks out memory as you use the machine. Their computers are very good as are their phones. Now I'm not an Apple enthusiast in the least and much prefer Linux and open source to either MS or Apple, but the fact remains Apple has forced Windows 7 on the world by giving MS a real competitor which is very good for us as Windows users. One only need compare 7 to Vista to pickup on that.

Bad batteries are universal these days.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
First of all I said that was some, not all. And I would hardly call Lord of the Rings, 300, Cold Mountain, etc. low budget. Like you said you don't know anything about video editing, sound recording and such and it shows. Final Cut is one of the top video editing programs out there and used a lot in film and televison. As for me, just so you know, I am an ex IT person and have used pretty much just about everything From IBM OS 400, AIX, to Sun stuff. I use Apple computers because I love the OS. Hardware is hardware.
Apple has many advantages for multimedia applications and many more elegant ways of handling arrays.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Apple has many advantages for multimedia applications and many more elegant ways of handling arrays.
That's also true. I did not even begin to start in on that. Cluster of Xserves or Pro's running Final Cut server and Xsan with raids makes for one hell of a setup. All elegant, powerful and stable.

Last edited:
S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
A lot of you points are not based on fact and I am not going to get into a Mac vs PC war in this thread. The new iphone is certainly far from a flop and Apple has issued a fix and is making good on the the problem if you have been paying attention. You could build or buy a faster PC, but it would not be twice as fast and not necessarily cheaper. You would find it difficult to buy or build something twice as fast as a Mac Pro with dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons. Alienwares fastest compare but they are not cheap either, and I don't know if you can put on 32 gigs of RAM on one like on Mac Pro. Mac Pro's are due for an upgrade too soon I would expect. However, I realize you are probably just exaggerating. As for no movies being edited with Final Cut you are way, way wrong. Here is a list of some

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131389

That is all that needs to be said. You could build a computer that would crap all over any mac starting with this motherboard. And I bet for far less than $3,500. Notice up to 48Gb of memory, dual I7 up to 12 cores.

People who buy Alienware computers are people who have money for a good computer, but cannot build their own.
-Greg

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Many have claimed what you say, but when you start adding everything up the cost ends up being very close and you still don't have the elegant design of the Mac Pro, and that is hard to put a price on.

Here is one example and I have read several others too. I also agree with his overall assessment.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985-2.html
If you look at the specs of this computer, you will see that it is over priced and I will show you.
http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

motherboard $299
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131389&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3515667&SID=

processors $379.99 each (exact same processor)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117185

Memory $99.99 per 4 gigs x3 $300 (more and better memory)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

Blue ray burner $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106346

A kick @$$ graphics card to boot $539 (10x better graphics card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130558

Total $1738.97

Thats with 12 gigs of ram instead of 6
A good blue ray burner
A far better graphics card
And 2 of the exact same processors they use

Throw in a nice power supply and a cool looking case and you are still saving more than $1000, and have a better PC to show for it. You can be a fanboy of apple all you want, the simple matter of fact is that you can build a superior machine for less than price they want for their machines.

The article you cited was written over 2 years ago, a lot has changed in the computer world since then with the troubled economy.

I suggest that you click the select button on the 8 core mac in the link above and see how much those upgrades are really going to cost you.

As for throwing away my old Iphone, who cares. It was a piece of trash and that was where it belonged.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
If you look at the specs of this computer, you will see that it is over priced and I will show you.
http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

motherboard $299
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131389&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3515667&SID=

processors $379.99 each (exact same processor)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117185

Memory $99.99 per 4 gigs x3 $300 (more and better memory)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

Blue ray burner $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106346

A kick @$$ graphics card to boot $539 (10x better graphics card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130558

Total $1738.97

Thats with 12 gigs of ram instead of 6
A good blue ray burner
A far better graphics card
And 2 of the exact same processors they use

Throw in a nice power supply and a cool looking case and you are still saving more than $1000, and have a better PC to show for it. You can be a fanboy of apple all you want, the simple matter of fact is that you can build a superior machine for less than price they want for their machines.

The article you cited was written over 2 years ago, a lot has changed in the computer world since then with the troubled economy.

I suggest that you click the select button on the 8 core mac in the link above and see how much those upgrades are really going to cost you.

As for throwing away my old Iphone, who cares. It was a piece of trash and that was where it belonged.
All you did was prove exactly what I said. Yes you can build one maybe save money maybe not depending on what you do. In the end your still stuck with windows unless you run linux. Or if you get adventurous you could build a Hackintosh.

None of the Macs are turds as you put it. All very fast machines and all can be dual or triple boot, Windows, OS X and or linux. The new iMacs are very good and a good deal depending on which one you get. The people building their own machines are in the minority so when you start pricing things out it gets quite a bit more even brand against brand. In some cases the macs are even cheaper and the better deal. Just so you know I have Ubuntu Linux, OS X, XP and Vista all running on my Macbook just because I can:D

I also just got back from dropping my Fathers Mac Mini off at the Apple store to have a new logic board put in. There is no way that should have gone bad in less than 3 years. I am still miffed about that.:mad:

I don't care what side of the isle you are on there is something geeky cool about running two OS's side by side on one computer :cool:

Last edited:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't care what side of the isle you are on there is something geeky cool about running two OS's side by side on one computer :cool:
Agreed. I wish I had a mac pro though so I could triple boot at once:D

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
All you did was prove exactly what I said. Yes you can build one maybe save money maybe not depending on what you do. In the end your still stuck with windows unless you run linux. Or if you get adventurous you could build a Hackintosh.

None of the Macs are turds as you put it. All very fast machines and all can be dual or triple boot, Windows, OS X and or linux. The new iMacs are very good and a good deal depending on which one you get. The people building their own machines are in the minority so when you start pricing things out it gets quite a bit more even brand against brand. In some cases the macs are even cheaper and the better deal. Just so you know I have Ubuntu Linux, OS X, XP and Vista all running on my Macbook just because I can:D

I would say that I did more than prove what you said. You said that A similar computer can be bought, but you would save very little if anything at all. I would hardly call $1000 or more very little.

Dual booting is nothing new. And virtually all operating systems can perform this task. Read this.
http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbooting_guide_linux_vista_and_xp_stepbystep.htm

I do have to admit that dual booting is very cool.

"In some cases the macs are even cheaper and the better deal"

Please enlighten me as to this "mac" (computer) that is a better deal from them, instead of building yourself...........(crickets churping, pin dropping). That's because there is none. They are a business, selling for big profits. If they sold at the cost of parts, they would not make money. It is simply business. No manufacture, no matter how big, can offer computers at the cost that they can be built for parts. Dell, Gateway, Apple, Alienware, and the likes all included. Apple may make some good machines, but I would hardly call them a value brand. They are not emachines or the likes. You are paying for the name when you buy from them, not the value.

-Greg

T

timmay8612

Audioholic
Doesn't matter what the cost savings is. If you are using a PC, you AREN'T using OS X, and therefore are spending more time and effort fighting with your computer than using it. Windows is just not an easy operating system to use and maintain, so who cares how cheap a system running it is?

dkane360

dkane360

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
Doesn't matter what the cost savings is. If you are using a PC, you AREN'T using OS X, and therefore are spending more time and effort fighting with your computer than using it. Windows is just not an easy operating system to use and maintain, so who cares how cheap a system running it is?
You obviously have your head squarely planted up your hind end. So OS X is the only good operating system out there? Could of fooled me. What about Ubuntu, what about win xp, what about win 7. All solid operating systems, all relatively easy to use and "maintain". And what do you really mean by "maintain". Are you talking installing and updating. Blocking and repairing virus attacks. Unless you are a complete moron, these processes are quite easy and self explanatory. As far as viruses go, safe web browsing is the best combatant to getting viruses. Of course downloading every single thing and opening every attachment you come across is going to compromise your computer, regardless of the operating system you are using. Even idiots can get easy protection with programs like Komodo and Maleware bytes. You are obviously just another oblivious fan boy that when confronted with cold hard facts that macs are overpriced, results to slandering the competition. And if you read my posts you will see that nowhere in my posts sis I say that OS X is a horrible operating system. I am focusing more on the overpriced nature of their computers.

And for that Iphone I threw away, maybe it gave me more than $60 of satisfaction to smash it and toss it in the trash.

-Greg

S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
That hardly seems like a viable solution for the average person. Macs are about simplicity, and that link is a prime example of why I stopped using pcs. The long drawn out processes to do things that should be simple and intuitive were getting on my nerves.
The average person is not going to be dual booting:D

Have you tried win 7, it is very intuitive.
-Greg

dkane360

dkane360

You are obviously just another oblivious fan boy that when confronted with cold hard facts that macs are overpriced, results to slandering the competition.

-Greg
LMAO ARE YOU SERIOUS??? You called all apple products turds! How is that not slandering the competition?

EDIT- And yes, I did try windows 7. It wasnt bad, but I didnt have a use for it. It wasnt worth it for me to install the xp compatibility mode in 7 if I could just run XP.

Last edited:
S

soniceuphoria

Audioholic
LMAO ARE YOU SERIOUS??? You called all apple products turds! How is that not slandering the competition?

EDIT- And yes, I did try windows 7. It wasnt bad, but I didnt have a use for it. It wasnt worth it for me to install the xp compatibility mode in 7 if I could just run XP.
Slandering- communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation. A false and malicious statement or report about someone.

Obviously you needed that definition, because I don't see any slander in my statements at all. I see cold hard truthful facts. And if you can not see them then you are either blind or ignorant.

When I said that all apple products are turds, I was speaking towards their portable media and other devices.

You are obviously just looking to fling some poo in my direction, confirming you are just one of the mindless monkey apple fan boys. If you are happy with your mac, then good for you. If you are happy with OS X, then good for you. If you want to stick your Ipad between you legs when it's that time of the month, then good for you. I will continue to think that and prove that apple is overpriced hype. And all the arguing in the world will never sway my opinion of this.

Assume
Position
Profit
Let's
Earn

Most
Absurd
Cost

:D
-Greg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com