iPad as universal remote

C

cjschrot

Audioholic Intern
any have comments on whether or not this is a good idea? Don't have an iPad but was thinking of getting one for wife. Figured I could also use it as the universal remote for movie room. Have used logitech in the past and liked them but considering something different. Going to run cable box (Xfinity), Denon receiver, and Panasonic blu-ray player.

Thanks for the help.
CJ

A

Actran

Audioholic
I like the idea, but you'll need to do some significant searching to ensure it will work with your equipment. Additionally, to do so, you may have to use a variety of apps for each vendor / piece of equipment. The iPad doesn't have a native IR transmitter either, so you'll likely have to buy one to run your TV (unless it is networked and has an app to control it).

I use my iPad to run my denon receiver, but that's all I can really do with it. My TV isn't networked and my PS3 (used as my DVD player) can't be operated through it - that I'm aware of.

Granted, I have some old equipment, but make sure you work out the details as i doubt this will be a straightforward solution.

A

avengineer

Banned
Here's what you need:

iRule

I install these systems, think they're great. The limitations are a learning curve for setup, and you'll need at least a little understanding of your network. I love the customization, and you can create a really great and simple to use system. Their examples shown on their site are not sterling, but you can get the idea, and actually whip something up quickly.

Actran's concerns about controlling equipment are taken care of by iRule's extensive command library, and the ability to build custom commands. You pick your device, import the command set, and go nuts. The concern for controlling IR only devices is covered because the system works with Global Cache devices that bridge to IR, RS233 and contact closure. Devices that are IP controlled are handled directly without an interface device.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have not used iRule, but it is certainly one of the DiY solutions which is getting a lot of high praise.

Now, the real issues I have with all of this:

1. iPads aren't remotes - they work, but aren't at all convenient. Commercial comes on, you want to mute the volume, you grab the iPad (two hands, it's heavy!) and you push the volume mute button... Wait, it went to sleep... You push the power button, unlock it (what was that code again?), unless it is still running, you start the app up again. Now, you can mute the audio. If that doesn't sound convenient, then you start to understand why this type of device is not ideal.

2. Touchpanels don't work as nicely as remotes. This isn't iPad specific, but is true of all non-tactile remotes. Up/Down/Left/Right/Select... Channel up/Channel down... These are functions which you use in the dark entirely by touch. With a touchpanel every time you want to change a channel you have to look down at the panel to make the change, then look up at the TV to see if the change is taking place as expected. It is not at all the same experience as a tactile remote control. The EXCEPTION to this is in larger complex systems where you want to be able to run multiple rooms and/or setup thermostats or other complex systems.

I run Crestron in my home, which is very different, but gives me (overall) similar functionality. I have handheld remotes (URC MX-850) in each room with a television, 12-button keypads in each room that is audio only, and I have an iPad for whole house control and setup to include shades, fireplace, all A/V zones, lighting, and more.

But, when I just want to watch TV, I pick up the remote and press the FIOS button and that's all I have to do. My wife and kids have no issues at all with that simplicity - because it works.

J

jcunwired

Audioholic
I've gone through this with Android, even attempted to write my own solution. While there are very good remote control apps (via network) for most of my HT gear, where it lacks is in the overall system. "Watch DVD", "Roku", etc. - turning everything on in order, selecting appropriate input/outputs. So I hold on to my Logitech Harmony remotes. It's still the most economical solution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis