Invisible Speaker Experiences

M

Monte

Audiophyte
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with invisible speakers that are spackled into drywall. There's various brands Sonos, Stealth Accoutics, etc.... I'm not sure which brand is better than the other but I'm more looking for experience with durability. I'm going to be having a custom home built with extensive automation and audio throughout.

Aesthetics are very important and I like the idea of the speakers being completely hidden but I worry about the surrounding drywall spackle which makes the speakers invisible. I'm sure it's fine at first but I'd bet over time there's likely to be those slight cracks that are more visible and annoying than they are large. It just seems, to me, that with the movement of sound waves it's going to create small cracks around the speakers over time. I've got small cracks on some corner beads in my current home and there's no movement. Once slight cracks happen it's far worse than having visible architectural speakers that are somewhat hidden but well defined vs a slight crack that shouldn't be there.

Does anyone have any experience with any brand of these curious if they've held up on the surrounding surfaces.

Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Dunno about the Sonos, but the Stealth Acoustics aren't "completely" hidden: Their grill cloth, or whatever, is simply decorative and can be changes to suit the décor.

As for cracks around the speakers, these appear to be completely sealed and are probably not that really bass strong. If there's cracking around the speaker it's probably due more to the spackle or whatever drying out over time than the sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis