Interstellar (2014) Bluray will it be muffled or not?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

Pre-ordered the nominated best sound effects and best sound controversial muffed dialogue Interstellar (2014) yesterday, should be arriving ether a few days before release date March 30th 2015.

I see possible bad LCRS mix I hope not. I hope its not like Inception (2010) as that was the worst sound effects sound mixing LCRS I have listened to in decades. It robbed SALT (2010) that was better LCRS balanced mix with clear easy to understand dialogue that is even at times important to mindless violence.

Well Interstellar, as different sound mixing team over Inception, so hopefully I'll be seeing a well balanced LCRS mix on the Sony SDDS processor on centre channel for different parts of the DME and not some -20db while left/right is -10db drowning out the centre as this would be the last strew for Nolan film, if this is bad as Inception, sound mix I won't trust to buy another film or even watch a trailer as I put my THX home cinema together to listen to well balanced decent mixes. Not one for hard of hearing otherwise I might as well switch the subtitles ON.

I'll give a full fair evaluation of the LCRS mix when it plays here with expansion surround THX sound system.

A clip of Interstellar (2014) wormhole. Now the Dolby Stereo matrix on the Dolby CP500/Sony SDDS, THX, JBL, handles well with the dialogue which is at low level even with LCR discrete the mix can overlap on the centre making some sounds on centre discrete frequency masked.

It has some bass as the mix is LCRS matrix so won't include the LFE.1 and sometimes some scenes might not have LFE.1.

See how it is in discrete dtsHDMA 5.1 in a few weeks?

Spectrum Lab waterfall shows roughly what Dolby Stereo matrix mix is like I should see more less the same with the discrete LCR dtsHDMA 5.1 in a few weeks time.

The room filled with low end and the seats where vibrating.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Interstellar's soundtrack is the most spectacular and petrifying (yet crystal clear) soundtrack I've ever experienced!

This is the holly grail of all soundtracks.

It makes the intro to "Edge of Tomorrow" seem sedated on Haldol & Ativan. :)

I feel as if I am right along side the characters as my entire body shakes like a rag doll. :D

The energy is truly astronomical.

Be afraid, be very afraid if your speakers and subs are not very DYNAMIC. :eek:

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I played the sound track released by the composer. There is huge energy right across the spectrum. Expect a lot of reports of blown speaker here, especially subs and tweeters, after this movie is released.

I'm going to my niece's wedding on Saturday a Temple Church. That is were the organ is that so prominently features in the sound track.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

Frequency waterfall of the typical Dolby Stereo matrix of LCR so I guess lows won't go below 20Hz on the dtsHMDA? I'll have to see when it arrives.

The dialogue stem track could have been raised up 4 or 5db higher as it seems a bit hard to hear at times on some passages, but in real life often that would be the case with finding speech frequency masked by other louder sounds.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I like this track played it 4 times now. :D

First few seconds of this my cinemas seats was vibrating!

Lows in region of 26Hz to 34Hz shimmering the seats with pressure felt on my body, then another low down at 21Hz.

Last edited:
A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I like airy windy rainy ocean like sounds and the mellow harmonicist of the music that slowly ascending with uplifting spiritual heavenly emotional soaring highs.

Oh the cinema seats vibrating all around.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Waterfalls don't always translate into audible issues. Lots of "tweakers" complain about them and say "this track looks weird" but I've yet to really hear them result in bad sound. Master & Commander plays just fine. Pacific Rim plays just fine. Godzilla plays ridiculously well. Interstellar had INCREDIBLE audio in the theater, so I wouldn't worry about it either. Just sit back and enjoy.

*I preordered this about a month ago :D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Waterfalls don't always translate into audible issues. Lots of "tweakers" complain about them and say "this track looks weird" but I've yet to really hear them result in bad sound. Master & Commander plays just fine. Pacific Rim plays just fine. Godzilla plays ridiculously well. Interstellar had INCREDIBLE audio in the theater, so I wouldn't worry about it either. Just sit back and enjoy.

*I preordered this about a month ago :D
I wouldn't touch M&C with a barge pole on bluray after seeing the rest of the low end anchored and dropped down in the sea. I'll stick to lossless DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 with extended low end. Damn when those cannons fire. Sounded fine at the local cinema with JBL five screen (three of course only used) and subs in SR-D.

Waterfalls can at least show in advance if you should push it or just play at calmer level as to not damage the speakers. Well so many out there I have tried and still the system is in shipshape condition. I doubt Interstellar well be bass heavy the frequency response looks to common to most other films. Same with GRAVITY when looking at waterfalls on youtube with many scenes a month or so before it was released I was seeing same frequency response with the bluray dtsHDMA 5.1.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
GRAVITY (2013) youtube re-entry vs bluray dtsHDMA Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System. Frequency spectrum is about the same not splitting hairs over both if it was Maser & Commander chopped off at 30Hz on bluray over DVD extending down below 20Hz then there is a debate issue.

Of course there is the LFE.1 that adds discrete kick when the Soyuz, breaks away form the rest of the space station with life-buoy capsule still dangerously attached and tumbling out of control. The interior scene as Ryan Stone, struggles to reach forwards for jettison release button, wow intense low end and lots of directional alarms sounding across LR with difference on centre and another alarm bleeping on right surround. lots going on during the scene that I find grippingly intensifying. Best film for dialogue that I have listened to in decades and I doubt a film will surpass it before end of this decade.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
GRAVITY (2013) youtube re-entry vs bluray dtsHDMA Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System. Frequency spectrum is about the same not splitting hairs over both if it was Maser & Commander chopped off at 30Hz on bluray over DVD extending down below 20Hz then there is a debate issue.
Master & Commander soundtrack on the DVD is a stellar soundtrack by any measure. The only way I would go bluray is for the highdef picture. I doubt very much that there would be an improvement in sound between DVD and bluray on this flick.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't touch M&C with a barge pole on bluray after seeing the rest of the low end anchored and dropped down in the sea. I'll stick to lossless DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 with extended low end. Damn when those cannons fire. Sounded fine at the local cinema with JBL five screen (three of course only used) and subs in SR-D.
I played the DTS DVD and BD back to back and I still felt the BD had better separation - bass sounded clearer, but about the same to my ears. The "extended" bass shows up in the waterfall but doesn't necessarily translate into better audio. People just like to find things to complain about.

Waterfalls can at least show in advance if you should push it or just play at calmer level as to not damage the speakers. Well so many out there I have tried and still the system is in shipshape condition. I doubt Interstellar well be bass heavy the frequency response looks to common to most other films. Same with GRAVITY when looking at waterfalls on youtube with many scenes a month or so before it was released I was seeing same frequency response with the bluray dtsHDMA 5.1.
Why would I need to know in advance how loud to play a movie? Pretty sure I'll figure that out by watching it.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Master & Commander soundtrack on the DVD is a stellar soundtrack by any measure. The only way I would go bluray is for the highdef picture. I doubt very much that there would be an improvement in sound between DVD and bluray on this flick.
Then again there's the good ole upscale on most AVR.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I played the DTS DVD and BD back to back and I still felt the BD had better separation - bass sounded clearer, but about the same to my ears. The "extended" bass shows up in the waterfall but doesn't necessarily translate into better audio. People just like to find things to complain about.

Why would I need to know in advance how loud to play a movie? Pretty sure I'll figure that out by watching it.
Ether your subs are not translating the reproduction well or you just have lesser understanding its okay.

You're ears might be accepting some of the peaks on LFE.1 as well as the rest of the channels its not just LFE.1. I don't fancy putting the DVD on tonight got GRAVITY showing over and over.

As for separation that sounds like its totally filtered at 200Hz on Dolby Digital and dts is fuller all way down to 10Hz. They are both the same frequency response on DVD. Unless some BS mixer likes to manipulate parts of the mix in places to fool us all. I noticed small minor tweaks on Saving Private Ryan, SE DVD Dolby dts. But I have to switch to main menu and loop the sound I was listening to over and over as well looking at SPL db meter or an RTA so I can have visual display of the sound.

I guess if we all had the same AVR with same problems with dtsHDMA bit bombardments every time we reverse a scene then play again and OH SNAP! the AVR shits down due to volume being so high and the bit bomb spikes the protection circuit to shut down the AVR, Bloody dtsHDMA annoying!

You have turn the volume down every-time you reverse up on scene then play with no spikes or mute audio then un-mute.

Use RCA 8ch pre outputs to AVR 8ch EXT and that seems to get around the problem. My Onkyo TH SR-875 is prone to (Dolby TrueHD dropouts and dtsHDMA bit bombs) and I know what films I have with the snags and select EXT 8ch on Sony BDP-S550 and happily play the film. No need to upgrade AVR.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
GRAVITY (2013) Frequency response of the LCR stage channels (MIX) monitored on Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System (processor monitor) low end rumble of space all-around on all 6 channels. Foley prop handling has extra bump/thumps when the astronauts handle any prop its like hearing inside their space suits which has air and oxygen for sound except for the outside of the space suit.

If you put earplugs in you're ears and walk around all you'll hear is thump, thump, thump of you're own footsteps in-head as each footstep impacts with the floor and vibrations travel though feet/leg/body to your head and ears. Its much the same with sound design for GRAVITY.

Low end space rumble and prop handling on lower end of the RTA and the middle range is the dialogue track.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Stellar soundtrack in "Gravity" but no way in real life would they shoot up a person into space with that much "personal baggage". For that reason alone, I hated the flick :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis