Internet modem question

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
Your computer doesn't have a pci slot..... there really isn't much need for a pci-e slot for a nic unless your using a multiport card.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
His computer almost absolutely has a PCI slot, unless it's an ITX board.

Matt34

Matt34

I'm not familiar with the router/modem you using, if there is a setting in its configuration or not, but you can try forcing it in windows. Open up the properties for your network card in the device manager, under the advanced tab, select "speed & duplex" and set it to 100mbs full duplex. May have to do a restart, and see if that helps.
I tried this and the only option it give me is "Auto Negotiation".

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Before I installed any new hardware, I'd toss in a Linux Live CD [many Linux installation CDs let you boot Linux right off the CD and try it out without altering your computer in any way] and look at the connection speed and run some speed tests.

Linux Live CDs are great ways of removing software or drivers from the equation entirely. If you get the same results, my next step would be to check the BIOS settings and also check Asus' site for a BIOS update.

If you have the latest BIOS and verify the BIOS settings are correct, and you still experience 10 Mbps ethernet, then by all means toss in a PCI network card.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Before I installed any new hardware, I'd toss in a Linux Live CD [many Linux installation CDs let you boot Linux right off the CD and try it out without altering your computer in any way] and look at the connection speed and run some speed tests.

Linux Live CDs are great ways of removing software or drivers from the equation entirely. If you get the same results, my next step would be to check the BIOS settings and also check Asus' site for a BIOS update.

If you have the latest BIOS and verify the BIOS settings are correct, and you still experience 10 Mbps ethernet, then by all means toss in a PCI network card.
+1
That's actually not a bad idea at all. This will eliminate any potential bad related windows networking issues

Matt34

Matt34

I'll look for an update for my motherboard, don't know anything about Linux though? Where would I even find that disk?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
a lot of distros are available that will run from a livecd.

i hear this is good for a beginner (i'm less than a beginner when it comes to linux and stuff):
Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'll look for an update for my motherboard, don't know anything about Linux though? Where would I even find that disk?
As posted above, the standard Ubuntu installation CD gives you the option to simply boot straight into Linux. That should work just fine. Ubuntu doesn't include Flash, though, which might complicate your normal speed testing sites.

Use Linux Mint instead:
Main Page - Linux Mint

Just download the install CD and boot from it. You should be able to find Firefox and run your speed tests.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis