Internet modem question

Matt34

Matt34

I'm having problems getting anywhere close to the advertised speed of my internet service.

This is what I was getting with the lower tier 12mb upload:

I then upgraded to the 20mb upload but never saw an increase in speed, always around 9 mb. Well after 45 minutes on the phone with some guy from India they think it was a bad modem and sent me a new one. (Actiontec PK 5000)

Got it all hooked up and ran other speed test:

:mad:

I go to the modem configurator IP address and it shows me getting around 18 MB, so somewhere my connection speed is getting knocked in half. I really don't want to talk to another foriegn CSR. Anyone have any thoughts I what might be going on?

Attachments

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Are you wireless or Ethernet? Is CPU older-old Ethernet card?

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
I'm having problems getting anywhere close to the advertised speed of my internet service.

This is what I was getting with the lower tier 12mb upload:

I then upgraded to the 20mb upload but never saw an increase in speed, always around 9 mb. Well after 45 minutes on the phone with some guy from India they think it was a bad modem and sent me a new one. (Actiontec PK 5000)

Got it all hooked up and ran other speed test:

:mad:

I go to the modem configurator IP address and it shows me getting around 18 MB, so somewhere my connection speed is getting knocked in half. I really don't want to talk to another foriegn CSR. Anyone have any thoughts I what might be going on?

I had a working Dlink router(so i thought),I have comcast internet,and it got slower & slower,I tried Everything else I could think of,until i tried buying a new router,and BAM ! speeds were where they should be and better ! yes,routers do deteriorate,

here is what I get now ,and that was the problem for sure !

I bought a Cisco(linksys) E2000 router and I love it !

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Unless you have a business DSL or a Direct Internet connection like offices use most residential service upload speeds will always be a lot lower than your download speeds. It is also usually shared by other subscribers. To get the fastest time you need to try your test at like 3-4 am or whenever you suspect the less traffic would be occuring.

I hate the fact that they sell the service at a fixed advertised rate instead of the actual rate that you use.

I hope you find out what the problem is. Good luck.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks like you have a vdsl (or vdsl2) service, but IMHO unfortunately qwest up-sold you service without testing the lines if you house is not too far from the node.. I'd keep pushing Qwest CS until you get a) speeds you were promised or b) cheaper plan corresponding to lines performance

Chances of Qwest installing closer FTTN node closer to you imo are rather slim, but who knows....

I think one of better places to seek wisdom on the subject and possibly direct contact with Qwest support reps are DSLreports forums... this could be a possible sub-forum:
Other Broadband forum | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Your lag time is pretty weak for being that close to the server.

Matt34

Matt34

Unless you have a business DSL or a Direct Internet connection like offices use most residential service upload speeds will always be a lot lower than your download speeds. It is also usually shared by other subscribers. To get the fastest time you need to try your test at like 3-4 am or whenever you suspect the less traffic would be occuring.

I hate the fact that they sell the service at a fixed advertised rate instead of the actual rate that you use.

I hope you find out what the problem is. Good luck.
They said I should be getting around 15mb with the 20mb service. So they even admit that my speed is low.

Both the routers I've used are brand new from Qwest.

It looks like you have a vdsl (or vdsl2) service, but IMHO unfortunately qwest up-sold you service without testing the lines if you house is not too far from the node.. I'd keep pushing Qwest CS until you get a) speeds you were promised or b) cheaper plan corresponding to lines performance

Chances of Qwest installing closer FTTN node closer to you imo are rather slim, but who knows....

I think one of better places to seek wisdom on the subject and possibly direct contact with Qwest support reps are DSLreports forums... this could be a possible sub-forum:
Other Broadband forum | DSLReports.com, ISP Information
I'll keep on them, I'm not getting what I paid for even by their own admittance.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
They said I should be getting around 15mb with the 20mb service. So they even admit that my speed is low.

Both the routers I've used are brand new from Qwest.

I'll keep on them, I'm not getting what I paid for even by their own admittance.
Connection speed is complicated so be patient and I'm sure you can get it figured out. Something in the chain is not working right. Normally it's on your side of the line. The Router or Modem are the usual suspects, but since you got a new router I suspect something else is going on.

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
Open up your network connection properties and make sure your ethernet is connecting at 100mbs instead of 10mbs, that could explain the speed topping out at 9.5mbs. It would most likely be a setting in the dsl modem configuration set to autosense the ethernet speed, manually set it to 100.

Matt34

Matt34

Open up your network connection properties and make sure your ethernet is connecting at 100mbs instead of 10mbs, that could explain the speed topping out at 9.5mbs. It would most likely be a setting in the dsl modem configuration set to autosense the ethernet speed, manually set it to 100.
That appears to be the issue (set at 10mbs). How do I change it?

IT's a Realteck RTL8168D PCI-E GIGABIT ETHERNET.

Edit: It appears now that after I updated the driver I can't get an internet connection at all on this computer. Did a roll back and still getting nothing.

I suddenly hear my dad saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".:rolleyes:

Matt34

Matt34

Well, it appears my network adapter just crapped out on me.

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I'm not familiar with the router/modem you using, if there is a setting in its configuration or not, but you can try forcing it in windows. Open up the properties for your network card in the device manager, under the advanced tab, select "speed & duplex" and set it to 100mbs full duplex. May have to do a restart, and see if that helps.

Matt34

Matt34

I'm not familiar with the router/modem you using, if there is a setting in its configuration or not, but you can try forcing it in windows. Open up the properties for your network card in the device manager, under the advanced tab, select "speed & duplex" and set it to 100mbs full duplex. May have to do a restart, and see if that helps.
I'll try it on the new network card tomorrow. Thanks!

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
The way it sounds your network adapter was probably on its way out already, and no, you don't have to replace your motherboard. You can get one of these pci cards, should solve your problem.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I reserve my opinion to disagree... I don't think that was ever a problem with local nic - there are reasons why a gig nic would be forced into 10mbps...

Matt- fully uninstall the problematic nic and let windows find it again.
I guess some settings got screwed-up

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Could just be a bad cable. I've seen adapters drop to 10 Mbps because of a poor/dying cable.

Matt34

Matt34

I reserve my opinion to disagree... I don't think that was ever a problem with local nic - there are reasons why a gig nic would be forced into 10mbps...

Matt- fully uninstall the problematic nic and let windows find it again.
I guess some settings got screwed-up
I tried that, it sees the network adapter and says its working correctly but doesn't see a connection to the Internet.

Could just be a bad cable. I've seen adapters drop to 10 Mbps because of a poor/dying cable.
I've tried a different cable and different port on the modem, same results. The cable and port are fine, tried them on my laptop and it works fine.

I'm picking up a new network card after work, they are cheap enough.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I tried that, it sees the network adapter and says its working correctly but doesn't see a connection to the Internet.
I've tried a different cable and different port on the modem, same results. The cable and port are fine, tried them on my laptop and it works fine.

I'm picking up a new network card after work, they are cheap enough.
So we've verified another computer gets the right bandwidth?

Matt34

Matt34

Local best buy only has PCI cards not PCI-E so they wife is picking me up a wireless doggle to hold be over until I order one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis