Internet connection

D

digitalbirds

Audiophyte
I'm getting ready to set up a new home theater and I have 3 components that will accept an internet connection, the TV, receiver and Blu-Ray player. This will be a wired connection from my modem; do I have to connect each component separately or, for example, If I only connect the receiver (and all the other components are connected to this receiver) will they be connected as well? If I do have to connect each one, would I use a 3-way splitter?

Thanks.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. If you're devices support Ethernet over HDMI, then you could use that feature instead of connecting Ethernet to each one. I don't think that there are many devices that support that, yet, though - but you can always check.

An easy and inexpensive way to connect all of them is to use an Ethernet switch. They are called switches, but you can think of them as a splitter. For example, this Netgear switch is only $10 for 100Mbps, or $20 for the Gigabit version. I own the Gigabit version. Set up and operation are extremely easy.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I use a wireless access point and a hardwire ethernet cable. The cable goes to my most critical usage component, the AVR. I listen to Pandora a lot. The wireless access point goes to the Satellite Receiver, Bluray player and TV, and is used mainly for firmware updates. We live in the country, at the very limit of the DSL transformer, so our internet speed is quite often marginal. So not much video streaming here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis