Intermittent channel cut out

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
My Marantz PM8004 started having an issue this weekend. The right channel fades out intermittently. It doesn't totally cut out. Thought it was in the recording of one of the remixes of King Crimson... But changed the CD and it still does this. Not all the time.. Anyone suggest the first step to check... Switch speaker connections etc....
Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh no. Not again, bro! Just your LUCK!

My Denon AVP-A1HDCI first had intermittent fade-out/low-volume issues with the front channels. Then it got worse and worse.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My Marantz PM8004 started having an issue this weekend. The right channel fades out intermittently. It doesn't totally cut out. Thought it was in the recording of one of the remixes of King Crimson... But changed the CD and it still does this. Not all the time.. Anyone suggest the first step to check... Switch speaker connections etc....
Thanks
In this case it will not be the speakers. They could not do this. I had a look at the service manual and note that the volume control is a ganged two channel pot in the feedback loop of an IC opamp. This is a good way of doing it, as it increases S/N as you turn down the volume.

My first suspect would be the pot. When it does this next time see if a slight turn or bump of the volume control corrects it. If it does the pot needs replacing. It might also be the IC, but I would suspect the control the most. From pictures the control looks to be totally sealed, so I doubt you can spray in cleaner, but take a look inside and see. If you can spray in cleaner do it.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
In this case it will not be the speakers. They could not do this. I had a look at the service manual and note that the volume control is a ganged two channel pot in the feedback loop of an IC opamp. This is a good way of doing it, as it increases S/N as you turn down the volume.

My first suspect would be the pot. When it does this next time see if a slight turn or bump of the volume control corrects it. If it does the pot needs replacing. It might also be the IC, but I would suspect the control the most. From pictures the control looks to be totally sealed, so I doubt you can spray in cleaner, but take a look inside and see. If you can spray in cleaner do it.
Great. Thanks for the info.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not a Marantz or Denon owner but I’ve seen threads where soft reset or hard reset help. @lovinthehd might know.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not my Main system thank goodness.
The TLSGuy test is the first step, but a slight bump doesn't work, tried turning the volume back and forth a little more violently wouldn't hurt. Other than that, if you have a power amp, try using the pre-outs and see if it fixes it. If it does than at least you know the preamp is good, and go from there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis