Interested in Yamaha 663

T

Tommy H

Audiophyte
I know this isn't in the correct section, but I didn't have the necessary posts for the classified section. I'm looking for an inexpensive, yet powerful receiver to drive my Emptek towers, center, and bookshelves and thought this may be a great receiver to do so. I currently have an HK 154 which looks nice, but doesn't have HDMI switching or the power I would prefer. Wonder if anyone has a 663 laying around they wouldn't mind selling? Thanks.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
I'm not sure if the 663 is actually that powerful...I think it's only a 26lb receiver. I think you can find it for around $350+shipping online. I sold mine a ways back for around $250 locally, and I've seen ~$300 on Audiogon.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'd probably look at a refurb Onkyo TX-SR607 or TX-SR707 on accessories4less.com.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I know this isn't in the correct section, but I didn't have the necessary posts for the classified section. I'm looking for an inexpensive, yet powerful receiver to drive my Emptek towers, center, and bookshelves and thought this may be a great receiver to do so. I currently have an HK 154 which looks nice, but doesn't have HDMI switching or the power I would prefer. Wonder if anyone has a 663 laying around they wouldn't mind selling? Thanks.

Whats your budget like?

T

Tommy H

Audiophyte
I'm hoping to stay under $200. I only use a PS3 and cable box via HDMI with no need for 3D support so I'm looking at a previous year model with a solid amp section to power my EMPs. I had an Onkyo in the past that I had some trouble with, but may be interested in taking another shot with them.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
For $200 you will have to wait for somebody to get pretty desperate on craigslist to get rid of their 663, or a garage firesale.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Depending on your listening habits I would stay away from the 663. That is unless you are willing to run an external amp down the road.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The RX-V663 may be ok for you, but it depends on how big your room is, how loud you like to listen, and the efficiency of your speakers.

T

Tommy H

Audiophyte
My living room is relatively small and my HK is getting me by for the moment. Really just considering the upgrade to get a little more juice behind my EMP speakers I recently purchased and get the benefit of the HD audio from my new PS3. Glocks, I'm actually in Charlotte as well so if you decide to upgrade anytime soon I may be interested.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If I had a few hundred extra lying around I'd sell you mine so I could upgrade, but I think I'm going to hold onto it for a while. Unless you make me an offer I can't refuse.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
If I had a few hundred extra lying around I'd sell you mine so I could upgrade, but I think I'm going to hold onto it for a while. Unless you make me an offer I can't refuse.
I see where you are going with this....Shift the RX-V1800 to the bedroom and get that nice shiny new Marantz SR7005. :p

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
lol, I would probably just upgrade the bedroorm receiver to a AVR-3310ci but I'd rather move the RX-V1800 to the bedroom and replace it with a AVR-4311ci, but I definitely don't have the funds for that. I'd be happy with a lower end Denon, but they don't start adding preamp outputs until the 3xxx line.

T

Tommy H

Audiophyte
Oddly enough, I found a listing for a 663 in my price range today. I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up this weekend. Thanks for the advice/recommendations.

T

Tommy H

Audiophyte
I'm in the process of setting up my 663 and was wondering if there was any online information that was especially helpful to 663 owners? I've had 3 HK receivers in the past so the switch to Yamaha is taking some time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis