Integrating weak and powerful subwoofers

raidercrazy88

raidercrazy88

Audiophyte
I just started getting into home theater a few months ago and I wasn't sure at first what I wanted to do for subwoofers but I still needed something to get me by so I purchased a Dayton Sub-1200. It's of course very cheap and weak. So now I decided I wanted to try my hand at some basic DIY so I ordered a Dayton Ultimax 15 and flat pack from Parts Express.

If this first one goes well I will be adding more in the future but in the meantime is it possible to use both these subs at the same time? Or will the weak sub cause issues? I am specifically looking at using the Sub-1200 right behind the couch for near field use, kind of acting like a transducer or bass shaker. I'm on concrete so I'm just looking for a little tactile feel. Thanks.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
If you use a high pass filter on the sub 1200 above say 30hz you can make it work.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most people recommend using the same or very similar multiple subs and output the same SPL.

But ultimately, if your very different subs sound subjectively good together, that's what counts.

It's kind of like getting double bass from towers + subwoofers.

raidercrazy88

raidercrazy88

Audiophyte
The 1200 only has a low pass filter and I don't have any other external EQ yet, but I guess if I want to play around I can try one of those FMOD 30hz filters.
If you use a high pass filter on the sub 1200 above say 30hz you can make it work.

raidercrazy88

raidercrazy88

Audiophyte
Yeah I'm not expecting it to be that great and I'll probably end up moving the 1200 into my office. Just wasn't sure if spending the time and effort trying to set them up is even worth it.

Most people recommend using the same or very similar multiple subs and output the same SPL.

But ultimately, if your very different subs sound subjectively good together, that's what counts.

It's kind of like getting double bass from towers + subwoofers.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Yep using an external will work. I've used non like subs in this manner to cover mid bass.

The 1200 only has a low pass filter and I don't have any other external EQ yet, but I guess if I want to play around I can try one of those FMOD 30hz filters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I'm not expecting it to be that great and I'll probably end up moving the 1200 into my office. Just wasn't sure if spending the time and effort trying to set them up is even worth it.
It could still sound very good. You will just have to try and see. If it could save you money and still sound good, then it is worth the time and effort for sure.

raidercrazy88

raidercrazy88

Audiophyte
True, and I do have to wait a bit before I purchase anymore, the wife has been very understanding so far but I don't want to push her too hard :). Saving money right now is definitely a good thing.

It could still sound very good. You will just have to try and see. If it could save you money and still sound good, then it is worth the time and effort for sure.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would just skip trying to integrate those. The performance will be so very different. The Dayton will add a lot of overhang and distortion to an Ultimax setup. It won't be able to contribute anything loudness wise, all it will do is lower the fidelity.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I did what you're talking about w/ no problem. Had 1 cheap sub, added a little better one. Then got a really good sub and used it w/ the better of the first 2. Then got a second really good sub. Each step got better, but there was no problem w/ any of the mis-matches. No problem, but I'm not sure of the benefit either. The better sub would always dominate because I tended to run it at a higher level. I used the weaker sub simply to smooth the room nulls a bit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I did what you're talking about w/ no problem. Had 1 cheap sub, added a little better one. Then got a really good sub and used it w/ the better of the first 2. Then got a second really good sub. Each step got better, but there was no problem w/ any of the mis-matches. No problem, but I'm not sure of the benefit either. The better sub would always dominate because I tended to run it at a higher level. I used the weaker sub simply to smooth the room nulls a bit.
Hypotheses are great. But it doesn't cost any money to try. And if it ends up sounding great, then that's great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis