Integrated Network AV Receiver

J

Joe Lyons

Audiophyte
Some receivers state in the description that they are "built for Blu-ray, and some don't specify that I can determine. Since we will be using a blu-ray player, do we need to purchase a receiver that is blu-ray compatible, and if so, how do we determine that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'll want a receiver with an HDMI input so you can enjoy the picture and audio the bluray can offer, maybe make sure the receiver can handle the codecs (like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA). Pretty much every current avr will work with a bluray player. What's your budget?

J

Joe Lyons

Audiophyte
not sure about budget, I see them from $400 up past $2k. Most of them we looked have been in the $400-700 range, and since we are not sound connoisseurs, hopefully we can pick one somewhere in that range. One that is dependable, and won't burn out is a few years is probably most important to us.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
not sure about budget, I see them from $400 up past $2k. Most of them we looked have been in the $400-700 range, and since we are not sound connoisseurs, hopefully we can pick one somewhere in that range. One that is dependable, and won't burn out is a few years is probably most important to us.
What speakers/sub setup do you have? Any particular features you'd like to have such as internet apps/connectivity? Yamaha usually gets the nod on highest reliability but I don't think you'll have an issue with the major brands generally. Think about very good ventilation these days, though, they generally need it. I think the usual thing with electronics applies, in that they'll either fail fairly quickly or they'll have a normal lifetime.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Also important is to know that if you are looking at a setup that includes speakers in the $400-$700 then that's a home theater in a box kit, not a 'receiver'.

Using Denon as an example...
These are receivers:
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers

No speakers, no subwoofer, nothing else. Just an A/V receiver.

Looking at one of their cheaper models, this is certainly in line with what you are asking about:
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs720w

It has half a dozen HDMI connections. They will work with Blu-ray Disc, cable TV, Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, a laptop (or computer), etc. Basically, anything with a current HDMI connection on it should work with the receiver and it will amplify audio to your speakers, and pass video on to your TV.

If that budget includes the need for speakers, then this conversation is going to get a lot longer, because you will need a receiver AND speakers, which will just need to be properly budgeted.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis