integrated amps and cd players

Z

zonomorph

Enthusiast
I'm setting up a two channel system with B&W 600 series bookshelf speakers, and I have a question about how the integrated amp and CD player I use will affect overall sound quality. I know that either the amp or CD player will have to do the D/A converting which leads to the question: If I let the CD player do the D/A converting, would any differences in amp sound quality matter? If only the component doing the D/A converting significantly affected sound quality, then I could save some money by buying a nice CD player and a cheaper amp rather than spending alot on both.

Speaking of amps, does anyone here have experience with NAD integrated amps. Are there any other 2 channel amps in the $400-$500 range that I should be looking at? The CD player I'm planning on getting is the Onix XCD-99 for $400. Is this a good player or should I be looking at others?

Thanks for your time.

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
Onix has a sweet combo deal with their CD player and integrated tube amp if you're interested in tubes. I'd bet its sufficiently powerful to drive those speakers too.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
zonomorph said:
I'm setting up a two channel system with B&W 600 series bookshelf speakers, and I have a question about how the integrated amp and CD player I use will affect overall sound quality. I know that either the amp or CD player will have to do the D/A converting which leads to the question: If I let the CD player do the D/A converting, would any differences in amp sound quality matter? If only the component doing the D/A converting significantly affected sound quality, then I could save some money by buying a nice CD player and a cheaper amp rather than spending alot on both.

Speaking of amps, does anyone here have experience with NAD integrated amps. Are there any other 2 channel amps in the $400-$500 range that I should be looking at? The CD player I'm planning on getting is the Onix XCD-99 for $400. Is this a good player or should I be looking at others?

Thanks for your time.
Do these integrated amps have digital inputs? If not, you are stuck with the DACs in the CD player unless I am missing something here.

Nick

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
treetownal said:
Onix has a sweet combo deal with their CD player and integrated tube amp if you're interested in tubes. I'd bet its sufficiently powerful to drive those speakers too.
.....TreeTownAL, can you give a link to that Onix combo and it's pricing?....is the pre-amp section tubed as well as the amp section?....is the CD tubed?.....

.....edit....Gentlemen, tubes are thought of as bringing third-dimensional presence....

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I was thinking the samething.

Nick250 said:
Do these integrated amps have digital inputs? If not, you are stuck with the DACs in the CD player unless I am missing something here.

Nick
Unlike HT receivers, stereo integrateds traditionally don't have built in DAC's. I think Music Hall makes one but I believe it goes for around $1,200 or so. There may be a few, very few, more but I doubt they are within your price range.

Last edited:
T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
Cambridge Audio have some good inexpensive CD players, like the 640C, which has won several awards:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=30&Title=Azur+640C

It would probably be worth checking some reviews for performance data. The manufacturer specifications are sometimes very vague. Stereophile do these kinds of tests. As long as the signal to noise ratio through the analogue outs is above 80 dB, (preferably closer to 90 dB) then the player should perform satisfactorily.

I think generally NAD have a fairly solid reputation and I saw that one of their recent integrated amps won an award in What Hi-Fi? magazine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd probably stick with that Onyx player based on reviews, but the Cambridge players are pretty good too. I like the 640C and I also like their integrateds; you might give their integrateds a look also - 540A and 640A, and I think they have some new ones coming out soon.

I've been very pleased with my Marantz integrateds so far too. I'd also give the new PM7001 a look.

NAD makes great integrated amps, and if you don't mind used, the C320BEE is an extremely popular amp that can be found used for great prices.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Onix package

How about the package with the Onix SP3 and Reference 1s? The Ref's should perform much better than the B&W's and are a great deal in the package. I belive you can also get a discount or family price on the X-CD.

I am enjoying my reference 1's for 2 channel and will eventually incorporate them into a Onix Ref HT system.

T

treetownal

Audioholic Intern
mulester, here's the link. http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=processors&brand=33

perhaps it is only offered in connection with the speakers, although they seem to have B stock as some pretty sick prices.

I'm not sure whether the amp, preamp or both sections are tubed. good question though. i'm looking to put together a little tube system for 2 channel, that's a bit more powerful than the flea powered amps that need to run single driver speakers or horns and the onix is one of the candidates. Jolida also has some nice offerings.

Z

ZoFo

Audioholic
I second JCPanny's suggestion

I have a pair of the Ref. 1's and two pair of the floor-standing version of this speaker, the Ref 1.5; give them a try as I think you will find that they sound much better that the 600 series. The build quality is better on the Refs, no doubt about that.

I also have the SP3 tube amp from Onix, both its pre/amp & amp stages are tube. It does not have digital inputs and only two sources so I would look elsewhere if you are not shooting for the "tube sound" as there is no remote and a few other features you might want. Don't be fooled by it's 38 watt per channel rating though, it drives my 4 ohm 88 db speakers to levels way to high for me.

I would also take a look at OutlawAudio.com; they have a very nice two channel intergrated.

I have heard that the XCD-99 and Cambridge CD players are very close; I am ordering the XCD-99 tomorow as it is priced better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis