Integra DTR-8.9 Official Thread

O

ouchakov

Enthusiast
Well, let's kick it off...

I did not see much discussion of the new Integras in the forums, I got one a few weeks ago, and would like to post my lay man's impressions... I hope Audioholics will get one of them for review sooner rather than later.

Appearance: 3/5
Let's face it, this receiver will not win any beauty awards :cool: but who cares, right? The important thing that it gets the audio/video right.

The beast is heavy, over 50 pounds, not sure what they stuff in it, but it is much heavier than the competing Yammy RX-Z7 or Denon 3809. It also runs hot, I installed 2 fans to cool it down, but it's still hot to the touch, so ventilation is quite important.

The faceplate is simple and functional, back panel is easy to access to connect any cables. Quality of connectors looks pretty good.

Set up: 4/5
The set up is a breeze. It has good graphics and walks you through the process step by step. You can also view movie at the same time you calibrate your inputs, so you can see the effect of any Reon processing selections, output resolution changes, and audio delay. The Audyssey set up took close to 10 minutes with three measurements. Also, it only output one type of signal, not sure if it matters, but my old Yammy used to do 3 or 4 different types of signals to check speakers distance, calibration, etc. Anyway, the result is very good. I ran the pod race from Star Wars, and the effect was excellent, much better than my previous receiver. Everything was clear, dialog was crisp, front channels were clear, surrounds played loud, but not distracting.

Video processing: 3/5
Well...I don't have any special tools to measure what Reon does. I feed the receiver 1080i, and output at 720p. If I feed it anything less than 1080i, the picture looks nasty, it includes my Dish receiver, and my DVD changer. I can't say that I see a vast improvement in picture quality :( from when I fed my sources directly to TV, especially with Dish HD programming. DVDs look a little better with all Reon processing on High, as well as with noise reduction On. I guess, I hoped for more :p Hopefully, the pros will be able to put it through its paces to get us their opinion.

Audio: 5/5
Audio is excellent. Receiver runs my Paradigms with no problem, I can hear everything very clearly, this is a vast improvement over my previous receiver. The one thing that I miss from my Yammy is selection of audio processing modes. I used to have 10 buttons on my remote and could engage whatever I like with a push of a button. Now, although Integra had no shortage of audio modes, I have to cycle through 10 or so to select whatever I want, for instance 7 channel THX cinema processing. I gotta re-read the manual to make sure I default every input the audio processing that I want, it's a hassle.

Overall satisfaction with the receiver: 4/5.
I like the audio processing and power, video processing is a little improvement, you really need a professional to calibrate all your sources to realize the capabilities of this receiver. I am happy with the purchase, for less than $1600, the receiver is a steal.

Cheers,

- A.

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I bought this unit last night and have been trying to get it to work all morning. The audio works fine, as does component video, but not one of the HDMI inputs work. After having sat on hold with Integra for about an hour, I was finally able to speak with a "technician" whose best advice was to bring it back to where I got it from. Jeez, I could have figured that out without being on hold listening to Faith Hill for an hour.

I don't know a thing about Integra other than what I've read online, which for the most part was all good. I'd like to think that I just got one that got dropped or something, but besides the HDMI issue, I have to say this unit did not impress me too much. Yes, it's heavy, but I found the build quality to be a little flimsy. For instance, the volume control feels extremely light and cheap. The speaker connections are cheesy and the finish on the plastic remote was so rough it almost cut me.

I bought the 8.9 to replace my Denon 4806, which has for all intents and purposes, become functionally obsolete. The Denon had incredible audio, but I needed something to address 1080p with the new JVC projector I bought, and the Denon just was not up to the task. It was a finicky old bugger too and had to be totally reset every time the power flickered. Setting up the Integra was almost too easy in comparison to the Denon. This is something Denon should really work on improving, especially for the prices they're asking for them now.

Thinking I could resolve the HDMI problem later, I went ahead and set up the audio. While it sounded decent, it was absolutely no where near the sound I got from the Denon. It almost seemed as though the Integra was straining to push the 4 ohm Axiom speakers.

I was hoping to spend much less for a new receiver then I spent on the Denon. I got the Integra for $1,499.00 which is substantially less money than the Denon was, but also, substantially less product I'm afraid.

Had I never owned a 4806, I probably would not be returning the Integra today. However, the benchmark has been set and I'll have to keep looking for something else. After all the problems I had with the Denon, I swore I'd never get another.
Besides, I think they're WAY overpriced now.

I think I've decided to go with separates this time. At least if I upgrade again in the future, hopefully the amplifier will not have to be replaced also.

TABCON

TABCON

Audioholic
I had a change of heart after reading more reviews about the Integra 8.9 and decided to exchange the first one I got for another. After hooking everything up I was happy to find that the hdmi and video funtions worked perfectly.

So why am I returning the SECOND Integra for a SECOND time?

This time, there was absolutely no surround sound. The only speakers that worked were the front left & right and the sub. After reading their manual about 10 times and going online for support, nothing I found offered any solutions.

The Audussey set up didn't work, nor would it recognize any speakers other than the front 2 and the sub. I tried a ton of different settings, from all channel stereo, to the plethora of high def audio Dolby like settings and nothing worked. I tried 6ohm and 4ohm, which by the way my speakers are 4ohm Axiom and I just recently found out that the Integra cuts the wattage from 140 to 60 when you select the 4ohm setting. Something about protecting the amp.

I cleared the system not once but several times, I even cycled the system as you would if the amp protection circuit was activated. NOTHING worked.

I'm not a novice at setting AVR's, and compared with the Denon, the Integra was easy enough to set up, so I've ruled out user stupidity, at least for now.

It's a shame because the unit has some great features. If only I could get one that actually worked.

I've now decided to forget about the separates and most likely will either return to Denon and get the 4308Ci (I've heard the 4308 is actually a great receiver with a new gui), or the new Pioneer Elite SC-07. I'm leaning towards the Denon though because of it's WIfi capabilities.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I'd like to offer some moral support but I currently have 10K worth of A/V equipment sitting idle while my DTC-9.8 is on it's way to Integra's service department in God-knows-where. Yeah, I bought Integra so I could listen to my TV's speakers and look at the gaping hole in my rack where my receiver used to sit.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
WOW..... doesn't look like Integra has a very positive run going with this product... I have been holding off for so long on getting a dedicated pre/amp and this was one I was considering, but once again I will hold out for another year or more to see what comes around...

I guess I will stick with my Pioneer receivers for pre-amp duty for now...

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Heh heh, where in the h3ll is that d@mn Denon Pre/pro that Joe Consumer can afford?

mike298

mike298

Audiophyte
Integra 8.9 Great Receiver

Just thought I would let the forum know that I love my Integra 8.9. I have installed it just before Thanksgiving without problem! Everything worked right out of the box the set up went fine Audessey did its job to perfection. I so far have absolutely no complaints. This receiver has exceeded my expectations.

O

ouchakov

Enthusiast
Receiver is still running ;-)

Just wanted to update, given the negative feedback above, that my 8.9 is still running, no problems. It's so weird that 2 units were defective. I knew that Onkyo is generally a POS, but based on numerous reviews I've read, Integra still held its own, will see if that goes in the crapper with current models...Still not enough coverage on various forums of these new units (8.9 / 9.9) to make a determination I am afraid. Hopefully it was an isolated incident. Also, I got my unit from authorized retailer (Barretts), it comes with a 3 year warranty if anything happens, knocking on wood...

Good luck.

- A

mike298

mike298

Audiophyte
Not Much On Integra 8.9

I am amazed that there is not much reported on the Integra 8.9. It blows away the competition.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis