Integra DTR 5.5 went silent :(

C

cnovoselsky

Audiophyte
My perfectly working DTR 5.5 suddenly went silent about a week ago.

All speakers, including zone2, even headphone out is silent.
Tested multiple inputs, built-in FM tuner, audessey calibration procedure (normally should make white noise through all speakers) - no sound at all, not even hum on max volume. Read troubleshooting part from the manual...

Everything else (all lights/menus) work OK.

I did factory reset (Video1+Power button), made sure unit is not on mute, checked 4 internal fuses (all are OK).

I cannot understand at what point would be a failure - preamp section?

Is there anything else I can try fixing or just sell it for parts?

Appreciate any input!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My perfectly working DTR 5.5 suddenly went silent about a week ago.

All speakers, including zone2, even headphone out is silent.
Tested multiple inputs, built-in FM tuner, audessey calibration procedure (normally should make white noise through all speakers) - no sound at all, not even hum on max volume. Read troubleshooting part from the manual...

Everything else (all lights/menus) work OK.

I did factory reset (Video1+Power button), made sure unit is not on mute, checked 4 internal fuses (all are OK).

I cannot understand at what point would be a failure - preamp section?

Is there anything else I can try fixing or just sell it for parts?

Appreciate any input!
My guess is there is no power to the power amp board. Check the DC voltages to the power amp board from the power supply.

Likely the DC rail voltage will be 0 instead of around 90 Volts. Then check the regulator supply that voltage. That is the most likely culprit.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I find it interesting the number of Onkyo Corporation products that fail for one reason or the other that I read about on this site and others. I have owned Denon and Yamaha products since the mid 80's and have yet to have one of these products fail...maybe I'm lucky but I think it has to do with quality control more than anything,.

Last edited by a moderator:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I find it interesting the number of Onkyo Corporation products that fail for one reason or the other that I read about on this site and others. I have owned Denon and Yamaha products since the mid 80's and have yet to have one of these products fail...maybe I'm lucky but I think it has to do with quality control more than anything,.
I think it has more to do with design. If you look at the Onkyo notorious HDMI board problem, the root cause was a bunch, yes a bunch of capacitors, with inadequate heat and voltage tolerance.

That sort of thing is shaving dollars to the point where it is a waste of resources building it.

In my view they have never been a solid brand going way back. I referred to them as Onkyblow years ago.

They are now owned by the Gibson guitar people. It remains to be seen whether they will elevate the brand. I personally doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
In my view they have never been a solid brand going way back. I referred to them as Onkyblow years ago.
I had a real good impression of them in the 80's, which is when my brother and I both bought gear from them. I still have mine. Starting in the mid to late 90's, I really didn't like their design choices, and the reliability discussions of late sure haven't swayed me back. I have the opportunity to try out a TX-NR626 in about a week, and hopefully it'll have a good showing. That model seems to handily trump Denon's 2013 offerings in that price class.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Seems like most if not all of Onkyo's reliability problems are with HT receivers. I don't seem to ever hear about any issues with the 2 channel gear. My TX-SR506 HT receiver failed one month passed warranty. Knock on wood my TX-8050 doesn't fail this summer when the warranty runs out. It would be just my luck after the comment I just made about the 2 channel gear.

C

cnovoselsky

Audiophyte
I must say that the 5.5 lasted for 8 years without slightest problem, and I was a second owner.

M

MachineMonkey

Audiophyte
We had this exact problem with a DTR 5.5.

It was mounted in a conference room media enclosure. At the beginning of summer, when the mercury climbed and the temp in the media closet did the same, a pico fuse on one of the DTR board would fail open. One of the first problems given to me when I started working here was to keep that equipment alive.

In the end, piping some cold air into the media cabinet solved all issues. Getting the fuse found and repaired was pretty pricey, as I recall.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
In our AV install biz we have been using Onkyo/Integra AVRs for several years, as well as Yamaha, Denon and Harman/Kardon. Regarding failures we have actually had more Denon failures than any of the other brands, for the Onkyo/Integra AVRs since their amplifiers are biased high to minmize X-over distortion they run hot so one needs to provide additional free-air clearance @ least 4-5" for the L/R sides and stop cover.

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis