Installing connectors

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I got my Monster Z1R cable in the mail today. &nbsp;It is two 11 foot lengths, and it looks like someone just cut the connectors off, but I received two pair of bannana plugs and two pair of spades from parts express in the mail several days ago. &nbsp;Now, what is the correct way to install the connectors? &nbsp;Is there an article somewhere?

Also, the guauge of this wire seems pretty high, maybe 14-16 guage. &nbsp;Will this be a problem, as I am only doing &lt;11 foot runs?

Thanks,
Josh</font>

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I read the Audioholics article on installing bannana plugs, and followed their proceedure, except I lightly tinned the ends of the wire with 60/40 rosin core solder to stop the wire from fraying. &nbsp;I'm betting a small amount of solder crept up through the wire, but this shouldn't cause a problem should it?</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Josh784 : <font color='#000000'>I read the Audioholics article on installing bannana plugs, and followed their proceedure, except I lightly tinned the ends of the wire with 60/40 rosin core solder to stop the wire from fraying.  I'm betting a small amount of solder crept up through the wire, but this shouldn't cause a problem should it?</font>
<font color='#000000'>It sounds like you did a good job so you should be fine (If you can, post some pics). &nbsp;As far as the gauge of the wire goes, most people will recommend 12 gauge but your runs are relatively short so it should be ok too. &nbsp;What amp/receiver and speakers are you using?</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Josh784 : <font color='#000000'>, except I lightly tinned the ends of the wire with 60/40 rosin core solder to stop the wire from fraying.  I'm betting a small amount of solder crept up through the wire, but this shouldn't cause a problem should it?</font>
<font color='#000000'>I talked to one of the 'guru's at Von Schweikert the other day, and he indicated that solder between a wire and connector will act as a high frequency filter. &nbsp;He struck me as very knowledgable. &nbsp;One of his points is that you're adding an additional interface of dissimilar material, and higher frequencies will tend have trouble crossing those boundaries.

He convinced me.</font>

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
EdR : <font color='#000000'>&quot;I talked to one of the 'guru's at Von Schweikert the other day, and he indicated that solder between a wire and connector will act as a high frequency filter.  He struck me as very knowledgable.  One of his points is that you're adding an additional interface of dissimilar material, and higher frequencies will tend have trouble crossing those boundaries.

He convinced me.&quot;</font>
<font color='#000000'>I am not sure it would be a big deal. &nbsp;It would seem like the simple facts you are putting on a connector would cause the same interference if this were true. &nbsp;I'm guessing that gold plated banana plugs, spades or whatever would also be a dissimiliar material and I have never heard any decrease in sound quality from connectors. &nbsp;(assuming there is a good connection) &nbsp;Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong, but I don't think it would be an issue to tin your wire ends. &nbsp;

Josh, Give us some pics if you can. &nbsp;It's always fun to see someone's handy work.

Shinerman</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well; let's think about this for a minute. Solder is a mixture of lead, tin, and flux. PC boards etches are copper, and the component leads are either copper or copper clad steel. Your cell phone manages to recieve microwave transmissions and that's on a PC board.
So much for dissimilar metals and high frequency transmission. This does not appear to be an issue especially at audio band. I should note however that in some cases disimilar metals will tend to corrode at a faster rate.
I should also mention that solder in combination with either nickel plate or gold plate or even nickel plate in combination with gold plate will typically give one incredibly slow corrosion rate that you might consider cleaning your connectors once every 5 years.
Hope this helps.
              d.b.</font>

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have a pair of Axiom M2i speakers, and a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver.

I ordered two pair of Dayton bannana plugs, and two pair of spades from Parts Express. &nbsp;Unfortunately, the spades don't fit the Axiom binding posts, so I went to Radio Shack, and being stupid, only bought one pair of bannana plugs. &nbsp;So one speaker is hooked up with bare wire until I make it back there, but I didn't notice any drop in high frequencies, but it could be one would need better equipment to notice anything. &nbsp;Like I said, I only tinned the tip, which protrudes out the other side of the plug, so only a very small amount of solder is probably inside the wire.

Unfortunately my Dad took our digital camera to SA on a business trip, but once he comes back I'll take some pictures.

One question about the Radio Shack plugs I bought - the wire isn't installed perpendicular to the plug as in the Dayton connectors, it is installed straight through the back. &nbsp;There is a piece that screws out, and I assume you bend the tip of the wire around the edge of this piece and screw it back in. &nbsp;Is there any disadvantage to this system? &nbsp;My solder is probably touching the connector in these plugs, however bare wire would be touching also. &nbsp;Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Josh</font>

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Josh: Take it easy, you're doing just fine.
                d.b.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis