Installing a Television Over a Fireplace

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
My Thought Also

Not so sure this is a good idea due to the heat from the fireplace, unless it is totally enclosed and ALL heat goes up the chimney.

This is about as bad an idea as it is to put a wine rack above the fridge in a kitchen, duh heat kills wine and TVs too.
That is the thing that concerns me also. External heat and electronics don't always play nice together. Depending on how hot that chimney wall gets, I don't think that the TV would survive in all that heat for very long.

J

Jman9999

Audiophyte
i found a 55" mount on ebay for 40 bucks been using it for 2 years works great

E

eheart144

Banned
Some of the posts admittedly get just about as silly as what follows. Maybe new posters can use the following as an example of what to search for before posting a redundant thread.

I could really use some help

I'm looking for the best hamburger I can buy for under $2.00. I really like the Burger King Whopper and the McDonald's Big Mac but am hearing good things about the Wendy's single also. Can anyone help me determine what the best burger is? I'm kind of a newbie and need help being pointed in the right direction. I think that Big Mac is not grilled, so doesn't it keep that nice beefy, fatty appeal? Also, it comes with its own proprietary sauce, or is it just thousand island dressing? I like the idea that Whopper can be custom built, but I'm not much of DIY kinda guy, so maybe I can get some expertise in that area. I think the Wendy's Single has more of solid build to it, and it seems to come with the widest array of condiments in its stock configuration. Then of course I guess I should consider the quality of the the condiments that going into making these fine pieces of goodness. I mean if you don't use name brand condiments how good can the end result really be. I think that the Heinz vs. Hunt's arguments holds some weight. And what of the lettuce, is it plain vanilla iceburg, or do any of them use a finer quality leaf? Hellman's mayonaise seems to be a front runner, but maybe their is another brand that is capable of producing a better flavor. For my money I think right now the Whopper with its special 99 cents sale is the value leader, but maybe spending twice as much might be worth it for all the extra bells and whisltes you get with the other burgers on the menu. The hot Wheels cars in the value meals or the monopoly piece at certain times of the year during promotions are quite a nice feature. This is all so much to think about that it has become quite overwhelming. Any help would be greatly appeciated.

P

Phrank

Enthusiast
Here is my opinion, if you don't like it I will refund your money.

TV above a fireplace is ugly- whether it's a $50,000 setup (seen that in a pro athlete friend of ours) or not. Heat is bad for it, dust and ash and everything else is bad for it, heck even taxidermy above fireplaces gets ruined fast. running wires around the area is even worse.

hang a white towel there a week while you have occasionally have a fire going and then smell and look at the towel afterwards before deciding whether to hang an expensive piece of electronics there.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
My tv has been up for two years with fires all winter long. No residue or heat issues whatsoever, but you read that in the thread, right? If you are getting heat and smoke above your fireplace, you need to have your flue checked as it is not drafting properly.

I live in a tiny townhouse and the only place for the tv is above the fireplace. Period. Not ideal, but IF YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND CHECK FOR HEAT BEFORE YOU HANG THE TV, IT SHOULD BE FINE IF THE HEAT IS NOT AN ISSUE.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Here is my opinion, if you don't like it I will refund your money.

TV above a fireplace is ugly- whether it's a $50,000 setup (seen that in a pro athlete friend of ours) or not. Heat is bad for it, dust and ash and everything else is bad for it, heck even taxidermy above fireplaces gets ruined fast. running wires around the area is even worse.

hang a white towel there a week while you have occasionally have a fire going and then smell and look at the towel afterwards before deciding whether to hang an expensive piece of electronics there.
My projection screen hangs in front of the fire place. :D

J

jhzarch

Enthusiast
I need help wiring up my home theater

I just installed a TV above my fireplace and left a raceway for the wires (wires need to be roughly 10-12ft long). Now I need to order the right wires and hook everything up, but I am not sure how to wire everything. Can you take a look at the diagram that I drew and let me now if this is right? Or can you give me a better diagram.

My only problem is the receiver (Yamaha HTR-5830) does not have an HDMI connection.

Please help.

how to i upload a photo of the diagram???

J

jhzarch

Enthusiast
You need at least a 12-14" deep mantel above the fireplace to deflect the heat or you will destroy the tv.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
The plasma or lcd over the fireplace is one of the dumbest yet most-copied ideas. The TV is too high for comfortable viewing. The heat, if you dare to use the fireplace, may damage the electronics and melt the plastic. If you must absolutely mount your TV in that unfortunate position, I would suggest at least a mantle between the FP and the TV, with reflective material on the bottom to deflect the heat.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Depends on the fireplace type, the amount of heat generated by said fireplace, with mantle or without , exactly how much higher than the fireplace, is it the only option in the room for placement. The height depends on the viewer and their seating arrangement in respect to comfort some ht enthusiasts actually love the view angle like that, it is all a matter of preference but it can be done without incident as many here have chimed in on the subject.
Now if your fireplace is the 55 gallon sotz kit that will melt pennies in 2 to 3 minutes I would say don't do it but if your talking about the ever so popular decorator gas conversation pieces as I call them it is done all the time.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Sigh. The melting television above the fireplace is a myth. Sawzalot is correct. If you place a thermometer above your fireplace when you have a fire going, you will find out quickly if it is too hot to place a tv above it. I have a standard, wood burning fireplace. When I checked my temperature with a roaring oak fire with a nice bed of coals, it was 78 degrees. The wall on the opposite side was 74 degrees. So, for the two hours a week that I run my tv with a fire going, it is just fine.
Now, as for neck pain from looking up at it, that is a defenite truth. The only way I can watch a movie (comfortably) is to watch straight on with my feet up (reclining). We don't really watch television in my house, so after the once a week movie, my plasma is mostly a monitor for the music server and pandora.
Weigh the pros and cons. For us, it was the only place that made sense in the tiny room.

B

Boru

Audiophyte
I noticed the black soot build up at the ceiling level, I am curious as to this soot and it's relevance to your panel is it collecting on the flat panel as well, and is your fireplace drafting properly, be careful krzywica, remember the thread with the candle burning the panel ?? sawz..
Good call.

N

norml4721

Audioholic Intern
TV over fireplace

Hi :

I mounted a Pioneer Elite Plasma over my fire place and have had no issues. I first put a thermocouple on the fire place to measure the temperature to insure that I would have no problems as the Elite was quite expensive.

The viewing angle is a little high but you get used to it. Make sure that you use good cement anchors. I have had the set on my fireplace for about 6 years now with no problems.

Good Luck

Norm L

J

JoshB

Audiophyte
We just moved into a new house we had built and one of the optional upgrades we paid for was to have the builder reinforce the wall above our gas fireplace and run conduit from there to the basement and there’s an electrical outlet for the TV up there too. I finally got around to mounting our 50” plasma and with reclining loveseat about 5 meters away we’ve never had neck strain. Our mount can also tilt the TV towards us so it’s not completely vertical against the wall so that helps too.

Obviously not everyone is building new homes but if you are or you’re renovating it’s definitely worth doing this as you build.

J

jim1961f

Audiophyte
I have done dozens of these types of installs, over the years, and none of the displays have failed as a result of excessive heat. You simply have to plan the install correctly.

The first thing you do is run the fireplace for awhile and see what happens, put your hand on the wall where the TV will go, do you feel any excessive heat on your hand? Does the wall get very warm? What you typically discover is that fireplaces are extremely inefficient, most of the heat goes up the chimney, further there is always a certain amount of draft because the fireplace is pulling air out of the room, and so whatever radiates up towards the TV generally drafts back down.

Some fireplaces get very hot externally, however, if you have a six inch or greater mantel depth below the panel the radiant heat will deflect away. The bigger issue is the cabling going to the TV.

If it is a gas fireplace, there will usually be a stud frame cavity with drywall surrounding the self contained gas unit inside. Even though the unit has a hot fire within it the cavity will not get all that hot as the design of the fire place transfers the majority of the heat of the double walled pipe and of course out the front of the display side.

However, some of these fireplaces were designed to have a blower; problem is that cheep builders don’t always want to pay for that, so you will either see the wiring for a blower, or an empty outlet, but no fan. This can be bad as this will present a very hot problem, wherein I usually require the customer purchase the specified fan, which is a good thing since they will now be able to take advantage of all that lost heat in the wintertime.

The wiring can be run inside this cavity, just so long as it is safely clear of the fireplace housing, check specific codes in your area for the distance.

AC appliance power & extension cords can never be run through walls !!! This is a big code no no. You must install a legitimate power plug at the TV location. Which if you are on a crawl is a lot simpler than you might think, wherefore it should not cost all that much to have an electrician do this for you.

If you look inside the gas fireplace cavity you will probably see romex nailed along the studs inside this tells you that the electrician was not very concerned with the space getting to hot for his wiring. However if there is a thermal concern, you can run your video cabling for the sake of safety and future upgrades through flexible metallic conduit, making sure that it is safely secured to the inside of the cavity away form the heat source.

Brick fire places require that you chisel out a line of mortar one half brick deep from the center out to the side where the cabling will be fished in from a wall or a cabinet, completely removing one single brick in the center behind the TV. Some people bury Romex but we use flexible MC Cable 14/2 or 12/2 + ground where applicable coupled to a single gang mortar outlet box. It is really a benefit if your receiver up-converts to HDMI so that you only have to run the one cable plus a control system wire along with the MC electrical cable through the mortar channel.

Using a small roto hammer with a small bit and some patience is the best method to make the channel, mortar drills out pretty easy, however it is a very messy process so a good shop vac masking and drops is required. We usually have one guy hold the shop vac hose right next to the roto hammer bit to suck up the dust as we go. Make sure you press all the cabling as far back into the channel as possible without gouging it. Re-mortar over the cabling with the correct mortar color, yes there are different colors of sand, some are greyer some are whiter, take some of the mortar you removed to wherever you are buying your mortar from and show the expert.

I use tapcon concrete anchors with fender washers to hold the TV mounting plate to the wall; these screws are very strong if installed properly. I map out the bracket placement screw holes with blue tape first just to make double sure I am not going to make a mistakes.

There are a lot of variables, but installing a TV over a fireplace is not really all that big a deal.

Be safe!

David
David,
Been all over the internet looking for how to do this. Your explanation is extremely helpful! I do have a question though....are you using MC Cable vs Romex for any particular reason? Will the mortar deteriorate the Romex PVC jacket?
Thanks again,
Jim

sagarpawar

Audiophyte
problem with LCD tv

I have a TOSHIBA 32' LCD tv. I'm using it from 1 & a half year now. suddenly before some days. the 3 wire connector of set top box to tv burnt!!
while tv was not on!
and after that TV wasn't working at all. the power on led was also not glowing after switching it on.
what will be possible faults?
and what should i do to protect my tv in future??
plz help..

B

breakinyoankelz

Audiophyte
This is a really basic and beginner question, so i apologize in advance to those experts whose time I waste. I'm planning to mount a TV on top of my fireplace, and want to double check that using a WHDI (wireless HDMI) system (probably the Phillips one suggested) will work with my A/V Receiver and subsequent Xbox 360, Blu-Ray, and Home Theater Speakers. The plan is to have the xbox 360, blu-ray, and speakers connect to my HK 247 Receiver. From HDMI Out of the HK 247 receiver, I will then plug that into then HDMI In of the Phillips Transmitter. Then I just connect the HDMI Out of the Phillips Receiver into the TV's HDMI In. Is that just about right? Will there be any audio/video syncing issues or frame rate issues due to this setup? WILL MY HOUSE EXPLODE?!?!? :p Thanks a lot in advance for the advice/help guys!

A

!aabbaannaa!

Audiophyte
I'm thinking of having one at home too. But a little hesitant on how safe it would be.

D

DiamondbackAV

Audiophyte
Fireplace TV Mounting

I have personally mounted over 300 TV's over fireplaces of all kinds. Fortunately I have been able to conceal the wires on about 95% of those. Here in Arizona, most fireplaces are surrounded by drywall and have the fireplace unit sealed in insulation. I have many asking me if it is safe and if the cables will melt. The answer is, no, unless the cables come into contact with the chimney pipe. Generally, you would make a hole after installing the mount and try to fish to the side of the fireplace down to the area of other wall boxes like electric, cable outlet, etc. Sometimes you will have to drill horizontally through a stud or two to accomplish this depending on how the fireplace is built. Sometimes you get lucky and it is all hollow and the fireplace extends out and it is an easy fish. Sometimes it takes an hour or more to fish, but I am determined and have rarely not found a way unless of course it is a brick, stone, block, or other similar material.

If you are in Phoenix area and need installation please see our site.

dbackht.com

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have my 55" led over our gas fireplace and no issues I did take my front upper vent off and turn all the fins around so they point down instead of up because the bottom of my center ch used to get warm. But this made the fireplace work better since it blows the heat along th fLoor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis