Installation Help - Hiding Wires...

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I would think that the base board removal option is your best if you do not want to do any dry wall work. I would not take wiring outside, lide adam said it is nearly impossible to seal permanantaly to vinyl siding, not to mention it will look tacky.

Poping all the base boards off with get you right to the fireplace. If you are brave enough it appears that your fireplace mantle and suround is an all in one piece, you could additionally remove it and you could then run the cables behind the mantle and remount the mantle. This is something that you can likely do your self. Or like mentioned before a handy man can likely do it.

One other thing to consider is that you have a new house. Contact your building site manager, it appears they are still building in your neighborhhod and ask their advice and see if they will do it for you.

I just set a HT up for my buddy and he was able to get the site manager to do the rearrance the studs above his fireplace so we could install the inwall center speaker and all the drywall repairs as part of the warranty process. It never hurts to ask very nicely!!!!

Good Luck!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would think that the base board removal option is your best if you do not want to do any dry wall work. I would not take wiring outside, lide adam said it is nearly impossible to seal permanantaly to vinyl siding, not to mention it will look tacky.

Poping all the base boards off with get you right to the fireplace. If you are brave enough it appears that your fireplace mantle and suround is an all in one piece, you could additionally remove it and you could then run the cables behind the mantle and remount the mantle. This is something that you can likely do your self. Or like mentioned before a handy man can likely do it.

One other thing to consider is that you have a new house. Contact your building site manager, it appears they are still building in your neighborhhod and ask their advice and see if they will do it for you.

I just set a HT up for my buddy and he was able to get the site manager to do the rearrance the studs above his fireplace so we could install the inwall center speaker and all the drywall repairs as part of the warranty process. It never hurts to ask very nicely!!!!

Good Luck!
Ask nicely, 6-pack in hand :D

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That will definitely help....I have found that beer is worth roughly 2-3 times it's actual value when trying to get some side work done at a good price. :D:D
I got half price on recessed can lights and an alarm for the house with a case of Negra Modelo, and some custom work on the wiring and wall plates for my home theater with a bottle of Tequila. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I got half price on recessed can lights and an alarm for the house with a case of Negra Modelo, and some custom work on the wiring and wall plates for my home theater with a bottle of Tequila. ;)
Yup, most construction-types are open to some cold ones. Can't say that I'm not persuaded by that either.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Is there already power in place? Extremely rare for power to be in place without any wiring in place. If you said it is there already and I missed it, then I apologize.

In my opinion - cut the drywall, run your wires, repaint.

This is your home, not a quilt. Don't try to find a work around. Don't just do it to get it done, but get it done in a fashion which will give you the absolute best results, with the highest reliability for years and years to come. It may involve some extra work to do it that way, but it certainly will give you the best results and once it is done, you won't need to do it again.

You should run, at a minimum:
ONE HDMI wire (get a receiver which coverts everything to HDMI!)
At least three pieces of CAT-5/6 cabling (network, control, future)
Speaker cables as necessary

Go straight up the wall into the celing cavity, take it over to the soffit, then down the back wall to the equipment location. Should take three holes, maybe four to accomplish this and should take about two hours.

The drywall repair and painting (new home right? paint is an easy match!) work will take far longer than running the wires, but the end result will be extremely clean and good looking.

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
BMX hit everything with a home run. That is your best solution by far. Don't be shy, it is only drywall, spackle and paint. Get a buddy that know what he is doing to help you if you are worried. I did it all myself, and didn't have a clue. I went from the ole 'entertainment stand' from zellers, with HTiB to THIS. I did ALL the work myself and was proud of it in the end. Youtube has lots of 'handyman' videos for tips and proper job techniques.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Wireless Option

There are a few new wireless HDMI options that I really like, if you do not want to open up drywall. I know some hate this idea, but I have used them with great success and reliability. PM me if you want some ideas, I don't want to honk certain brands publically.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis