Inputs on Pioneer SX-636

J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
So I've replaced the lamps on my Pioneer SX-636. Everything glows as expected. The next step is to resolve an issue with the phono input. The aux input works perfectly, signal is clear as a bell. But when I plug anything into the phono input I get a pile of signal noise. Any suggestions?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know what you mean when you say a "pile of signal noise", but the phono input is different dfrom all the other inputs on that machine.

It's made for use with a very, very low output magnetic phono cartridge which requires an additional stage of amplification and special equaization, which the phono input provides.

All other source devices output a much higher line level signal.

If you plug them into a phono input you are overdriving the bejeezus out of that poor, overloaded phono input.

Now, it's also possible it's broken, but the only to find out for sure is to plug a turntable with a magnetic cartridge into that input and see how it sounds.

J

Jake.

Audioholic Intern
I don't know what you mean when you say a "pile of signal noise", but the phono input is different dfrom all the other inputs on that machine.

It's made for use with a very, very low output magnetic phono cartridge which requires an additional stage of amplification and special equaization, which the phono input provides.

All other source devices output a much higher line level signal.

If you plug them into a phono input you are overdriving the bejeezus out of that poor, overloaded phono input.

Now, it's also possible it's broken, but the only to find out for sure is to plug a turntable with a magnetic cartridge into that input and see how it sounds.
Thanks for the reply. I'll pull my turntable out of storage and hook it up. Then report results.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis