Inputs on CD players?

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
Do many standalone CD players feature digital inputs?

The reason I ask is, thinking ahead a few months, I may pick up a squeezebox or something similar to transport lossless audio from my computer to my stereo. This is the only affordable way I can think of to accomplish this that wouldn't degrade the sound quality. I'd use my ipod, but it won't hold much in a lossless format, and the output quality is less than stellar.

Basically what I'm asking is if it's possible to provide a CD player with a digital input in order to use its DAC.

Josh

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Basically what I'm asking is if it's possible to provide a CD player with a digital input in order to use its DAC.
A CD player wouldn't have a digital input because there is nothing to input. The bits are read off the disc inserted into the player. There are probably still a few dedicated CD players with digital outputs so you can send the bitstream to a receiver or processor but they are getting rare as most people just use a DVD player. All DVD players can play CDs.

If you get a Squeezebox you could connect it to the receiver using a digital connection and use the receiver's DACS or you could connect it using analog connections and use the Squeezebox's DACS. No CD/DVD player required in either case.

J

Josh784

Junior Audioholic
I understand what you're saying, I just thought some CD player manufacturers may have included the feature so people could use the CD player's DAC for other purposes.

What is the DAC on the squeezebox like?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The Squeezebox 3 uses Burr-Brown DACs which are generally considered to be one of the best, although I'm not convinced there is an easily identifiable difference between any of the well known DACs.

http://www.slimdevices.com

D

Diapason

Audioholic Intern
Some players do indeed have digital inputs so you can use the DACs independently of the transport. Wadia have some examples. It makes sense if you think about it. Several digital sources, all inputted into the one player, Bob's your uncle.

Si

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Some players do indeed have digital inputs so you can use the DACs independently of the transport. Wadia have some examples. It makes sense if you think about it. Several digital sources, all inputted into the one player, Bob's your uncle.

Si
A receiver will accept several digital sources. :D

D

Diapason

Audioholic Intern
Sorry mtrycrafts, I'm a 2-channel man, and I always think in a simple 2-channel world. I forgot about you surround guys with your receivers and other toys!!

:)

Si

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis