frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
I have a Infocus 7205 projector and I am interested in Blu Ray. I thought in reading the manual that the projector would be capable of blu-ray 1080p by running a HDMI cable from my processor to the M1 port on the 7205. I would have to buy an M1 to HDMI adapter for the projector and I would be set.

However I called Infocus support to make sure what adapter I would have to buy and they told me that a Blu-Ray player would not work with HDMI on the 7205. The only way I could get a picture is thru component.
Now I am really scracthing my head. Why have these adapters and ports on the 7205 and they are of no use?

Does anyone have a straight answer....in laymans terms...please.
Infocus support center is out of this country and it was very hard to understand them as to why blu-ray would not work with the 7205....at least with HDMI.

Qusetions: Can I use HDMI on the 7205. Straight from the processor to the 7205.
If this is possible what adapter do I need for the projector to accept HDMI
If I cannot, and have to use component, can I use HDMI from the processor to the Blu-Ray player then component to the projector?

In conclusion I have had the 7205 for six years now and have not had a problem. The picture is clean and sharp. A little noisey at start up but not annoying to the point of not enjoying the show.
The only complaint I have is the support at Infocus. I would like to speak to someone who speaks clearly. I understand that Infocus wants to have a good bottom line but for me if I had to buy another projector I would look elseware because of Infocus lack of support.

Thanks in advance for any supportive answers.

frank

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
The projector has a DVI input. Simply get a DVI to HDMI cable and attach.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not to mention, Its only a 720p Proiector. I have the same projector and its a great machine, but if you want to have 1080p you'll need something newer. Frankly, I think 720 sets look better with most sources than 1080 sets. if your using bluray then yeah its a different story but most people dont only watch blurays.

If you use component you need to use component from the player to your processor to your projector. You cannot go from HDMI to component.

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic

Haoleb....Thank you.:)
I have received different opinions.:confused:
On another forum one said that I could use HDMI cable and would not have a problem with a blu-ray player.:confused:

"I have the same projector and its a great machine"
Your quote and I must agree. ;)
Therefore with you having the same projector I am more incline to listen to you.
Forget about HDMI. Continue useing component....from the blu-ray to processor then to the 7205,

Compared to excellent transferred standard DVDS such as Cars and Masters and Commander how does the 7205 transfer video thru a blu ray?
Is there a big enough difference to warrent a purchase of a blu-ray based on the 7205?

Haoleb

Haoleb

I have received different opinions.:confused:
On another forum one said that I could use HDMI cable and would not have a problem with a blu-ray player.:confused:

"I have the same projector and its a great machine"
Your quote and I must agree. ;)
Therefore with you having the same projector I am more incline to listen to you.
Forget about HDMI. Continue useing component....from the blu-ray to processor then to the 7205,

Compared to excellent transferred standard DVDS such as Cars and Masters and Commander how does the 7205 transfer video thru a blu ray?
Is there a big enough difference to warrent a purchase of a blu-ray based on the 7205?
I havent got a HD player so I coulnt tell you, You probably will have a better picture due to a higher resolution source but if its good enough to warranty buying a player isint something i can tell you.

frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
7205/1080p

I finally was able to get in contact with a dealer for Infocus who was willing to spend some time with me on the phone without feeling like I should be obligated.:D
Since you have the same projector(7205) I thought that this may be of interest to you.:)
I WILL be able to use HDMI cable from my processor to the 7205.:) I will need an adapter...M1 to HDMI. Sold by Infocus but not exclusively.
I also WILL get a picture from a blu-ray player.:) A damn good one according to the person that I was talking too.
Since the 7205 is 1080i I will have to change the menu of the blu-ray (in this case Sony's BP550) to 1080i.
This little adjust is not being addressed by Infocus. There support is lacking.
I called twice and both people told me that I would not get a picture. The last person I spoke to told me that it "might work", if it does work it would only last a few days. WHAT?????:confused:
That being said, she started dicussing selling me a new projector.:mad:
I like how the 7205 performs, except to being noisy at first startup but the picture is clear and sharp.:) Many of my SD look excellent. I have had many many people at my house watching movies looking at baseball and football games and the HD picture is beautiful (as you probably know).

Sadly, if the 7205 would break down and it would not be worth the repair cost I do not know if I would buy another Infocus due to threre LACK of support.

Rubbersoul

Haoleb

Haoleb

The projector will accept a 1080i or p signal but its native resolution is still 720p. Glad to hear it worked out though, I'm sure you'll be pleased with BD performance even if the projector isint 1080p resolution. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I don't know why you heard otherwise, but the 7205 is a 1280x720 projector (720p) native, and is capable of receiving resolutions of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i via component or digital video. It is HDCP compliant which means that you can hook up an upconverting DVD player or Blu-ray player via HDMI/DVI using an M1 adapter.

The 7205, for whatever reason, does not use a DVI port, as it looks like, but an M1 port... which is nowhere else basically. So, you do need an adapter for this, but they are easy to get. M1 to HDMI would be my recommendation then use a HDMI->HDMI cable since your next projector will likely have HDMI inputs.

No 1080p acceptance on this projector, but definitely you get HD video. Whether it is better to send 1080i or 720p is going to depend on the projector's ability to scale and process the image. I would try it both ways then make a decision on which is better later on.

Is it worth it to go Blu-ray vs. DVD?

On front projection - I would say absolutely! I have been running my PS3 to a 540p projector and the difference between the two is extremely significant. Not only does Blu-ray start with higher resolution. It has higher data transfer rates, and can use newer codecs to make the most of what is there. Even with lower resolution projectors you get a far crisper and more detailed image than DVD is capable of delivering, and is well worth the money. In my case, I rent 90%+ of my movies, so it doesn't cost me anymore this year to enjoy Blu-ray than it did a couple of years ago to enjoy DVD. So, definitely a smart decision.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis