Infinity Primus tweeter problems

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
Why do i keep blowing my tweeters, this is the 2nd time now on my mains?

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm no expert, but how loud are you listening to stuff?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
You're probably listening to electronic music content with very high SPL content above 8khz. Since the tweeter is very small and will not be moving very much at those frequencies, it won't adequately vent itself.

...just a guess.

... that or you've blown a capacitor in series with the tweeter.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
Yup, I was listening to some trance music, at very high volume both times the tweeters popped.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, I was listening to some trance music, at very high volume both times the tweeters popped.
Electronic music is a killer for inexpensive direct radiators. You will probably want some compression drivers like the CHT SHO-10 speakers. Not only will it significantly reduce your likelyhood of blowing tweeters, but you will find music to be less "busy-sounding" at high SPLs, because the speakers won't be as stressed.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've listened to all kinds of electronic music at very loud volumes on my p362s and haven't had any problems. You must have had those things really cranked hard, in any normal room that would be hearing damage loudness.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I've listened to all kinds of electronic music at very loud volumes on my p362s and haven't had any problems. You must have had those things really cranked hard, in any normal room that would be hearing damage loudness.
A few factors play into it...

It is ~90db/2.83v/m and ~3.5 ohm above 10khz making it 87db/w/m at VHF + equal loudness curve for most people shows greatly diminished hearing if any at all above ~12khz + as I mentioned earlier the tweeter does not move much to vent itself at these frequencies + a 3/4" tweeter probably has minimal heatsinking

So the right 15khz tone at ~80W input may produce 96db.... and you may not hear it! 80W might be enough to blow.a cheap tweeter

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja

It is ~90db/2.83v/m and ~3.5 ohm above 10khz making it 87db/w/m at VHF +
equal loudness curve for most people shows greatly diminished hearing if any at all above ~12khz
as I mentioned earlier the tweeter does not move much to vent itself at these frequencies
3/4" tweeter probably has minimal natural heatsinking
even a 3/4" dome might be becoming directive in the top octave

So the right 15khz tone at ~80W input may produce 96db.... and you may not hear it especially if your speakers are not toed in.! 80W might be enough to blow a cheapo tweeter...

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Krusty, what are using to power the 363/351/162s?

If it's an AVR, are you running the 363/351/162s as large or small?

If small, what is your crossover set at?

You may be clipping your amplifier, which could cause tweeters to blow.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern
I am running them off the Emotiva XPA-3. The last time the tweeters blew was with the exact same song, and yes its at pretty high SPL levels. The last time I measured it at seating position it was about 102db. I am running the speakers as small, crossed over at 80.

K

Krusty Blade

Audioholic Intern

It is ~90db/2.83v/m and ~3.5 ohm above 10khz making it 87db/w/m at VHF +
equal loudness curve for most people shows greatly diminished hearing if any at all above ~12khz
as I mentioned earlier the tweeter does not move much to vent itself at these frequencies
3/4" tweeter probably has minimal natural heatsinking
even a 3/4" dome might be becoming directive in the top octave

So the right 15khz tone at ~80W input may produce 96db.... and you may not hear it especially if your speakers are not toed in.! 80W might be enough to blow a cheapo tweeter...
Thank you for the explanation. Very much appreciated.

Matt34

Matt34

Might be time to move up to something that has a compression driver!:eek:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm with you. I have a hard time believing that he is blowing the tweeters under normal conditions, even at high levels.

I have pushed the 362 to uncomfortably loud levels with 300wpc and never damaged them yet. I suspect that there is some other problem somewhere in the system and the symptom he is seeing is a blown tweeter.

Did it fry the same channel both times? Just 1 channel or both?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis