Infinity kappa blown, need replacement.

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
I built this home theater sub a while back. The other night while watching super 8, I think I over did it. Now I need a replacement, I'm using an Oaudio plate amp 500 rms. I can't find any infinity replacements since they are no longer making. What would be the best replacement for the money?

thanks for the help!

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
Chris (WmAx) used to recommend the Infinity Kappa 120.9 as an economical replacement for the Kappa Perfect 12vq. More details can be found by searching the forum.

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply, now that I have had the 12VQ subwoofer, now I want more. With budget in mine, I'm trying to think of my best option. Since I already have 1 Kappa build, should I build another and run 2 off a berringer amp or build another and buy another 500 watt plate amp? Or should I scrap this Kappa build and make something totally different?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply, now that I have had the 12VQ subwoofer, now I want more. With budget in mine, I'm trying to think of my best option. Since I already have 1 Kappa build, should I build another and run 2 off a berringer amp or build another and buy another 500 watt plate amp? Or should I scrap this Kappa build and make something totally different?
What to do depends solely on the budget. If you have 2k you can build a couple RE Audio XXX subs.

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
2k is too much at the moment. I figured I could make another kappa box build for $100, kappa 120.9 x 2 for $400, ep2500 for $200. Soooo two subs for around $700, so that's my budget. :) Any better ideas?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
2k is too much at the moment. I figured I could make another kappa box build for $100, kappa 120.9 x 2 for $400, ep2500 for $200. Soooo two subs for around $700, so that's my budget. :) Any better ideas?

I realize you already have 2 boxes otherwise I'd direct you to the Dayton Reference 18HO or Stereo Integrity 18" because both are superior drivers.

Last edited:
T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
I currently only have 1 kappa Box, i may consider building something totally new if it is that much better, its hard to imagine being that much better after the kappa though. What amp would you recommend? Have link for the build?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I currently only have 1 kappa Box, i may consider building something totally new if it is that much better, its hard to imagine being that much better after the kappa though. What amp would you recommend? Have link for the build?
Behringer NU3000 iNUKE Power Amplifier (3000 Watts) at zZounds would work for Kappa's, but it only drives 2 of them. You'd need a second one for an additional pair.

If you do end up with 4 subs corner load them in different corners and you'll get insane response.

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
Is the NU3000 much better to use than the EP 2500 because it comes with a subwoofer crossover? I was hoping to pick up a EP 2500 off Craigslist for $200, but for $300 new an a crossover, the NU3000 may be the way to go.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Is the NU3000 much better to use than the EP 2500 because it comes with a subwoofer crossover? I was hoping to pick up a EP 2500 off Craigslist for $200, but for $300 new an a crossover, the NU3000 may be the way to go.
You need the crossover for the High-pass filter.

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
So, I know what amp I need "NU3000", I only have 1 kappa box built at the moment. Would it be better to scrape it and go w/ 2 Dayton Reference 18HO? I'm assuming the 18's would crush the 12's? Any build links?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
So, I know what amp I need "NU3000", I only have 1 kappa box built at the moment. Would it be better to scrape it and go w/ 2 Dayton Reference 18HO? I'm assuming the 18's would crush the 12's? Any build links?
They certainly would, but they do require a box about twice as large if you want to port them. a 26"-27" cube is about what you'd be looking at. I can give you a good dimensional spec. You'd also want to brace the box some.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Dayton 18HO would give tons of output in 4cu sealed box, ported needs to be (very approx) 7-8cu ft
I wont recommend NU3000 unless you already aware of it's loud fans - mood killer for most home setups
Crown XLS2500 is about $400 off ebay and would drive both subs. I would used minidsp ($135) if you need and processing (crossover/filters/PEQ etc...)

T

Tulsajj

Junior Audioholic
I don't think I would want to port, because I don't to much of a bigger box than the kappa - which is pretty freaking huge.
This guy's build seems smaller than the kappa box (21" x 21"): Dayton RSS460HO Reference 18" subwoofer sealed BUILD THREAD
How much louder would it be?
I haven't heard the fan noise and this was pushing what I was wanting to spend already, since what started this whole thing was me smoking the kappa vq. It's like do I just by another sub an throw in my box or do I open this can of worms... The things I get into visiting.. this site... :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis