Infinity 1260w build

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So is it back in production or is this NOS? I noticed the 1262W via Amazon was over $120 each....

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Let me know when you get it since they say it will take 2 weeks or so. I need another one so I'll be ordering one too.

I think you'll be surprised at how good a drier that cheap will sound.
I used to have infinity gear in one of my cars years ago that was pretty righteous. No subwoofer but the rest of the speakers sounded great. I'd like to try one of the Dayton Reference series as well. Currently I have the Dayton UM12 and it sounds great.

Yes, it said 2-4 weeks for delivery.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't say on Amazon that I noticed.
Wouldn't expect Amazon to provide that much info, maybe the actual seller if contacted. The word was a while back they went out of production so am leaning towards some NOS that's come up, and why the 1262W isn't close in price unless maybe only the 1260 resumed production perhaps....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The ultimax is a DVC and I wired it for 4 ohm. In my application, I don't see why I would need a 2 ohm, or more power.
All depends on combinations of how many drivers per sub, number of subs, what and how many amps available to you. I wire my dvc drivers (all of them 2ohm dvc's so far aside from the 1262) as 4 ohm generally but nice to have options....

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
All depends on combinations of how many drivers per sub, number of subs, what and how many amps available to you. I wire my dvc drivers (all of them 2ohm dvc's so far) as 4 ohm generally but nice to have options....
That's pretty much what I gathered when I was researching this some time back IIRC. I just wasn't sure in this case, if the DVC had a better overall sound quality. When I pulled the trigger on the 1260 last night, it was in reference to the OP on this thread. Then after, I saw the 1262w option, wondering if I jumped too soon. I take for granted that many people building high performance, or competition grade gear, have much larger living spaces than I do. Also, I'm one that won't think twice about buying another amp if I need to.

I can't even use all of the UM12 capability as it is.

Some time back I posted a thread about stealth options for subwoofers. I was glad to see someone here on AH was doing a table build when I happened across this thread.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got two of the DVC 1262 drivers and they aren't as useful due to the RMS power rating. At 8 ohms I'm going to end up giving them about 275w each. Which is fine, but isn't optimal. Finding an amp that operates in that spec is difficult as well. If I was doing a dual driver sub I'd use two 1262w and a 600w 4 ohm amp and be happy all the way. That just isn't in my game plan so I opted for the 1260w for easier amp selection for a single driver.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I've got two of the DVC 1262 drivers and they aren't as useful due to the RMS power rating. At 8 ohms I'm going to end up giving them about 275w each. Which is fine, but isn't optimal. Finding an amp that operates in that spec is difficult as well. If I was doing a dual driver sub I'd use two 1262w and a 600w 4 ohm amp and be happy all the way. That just isn't in my game plan so I opted for the 1260w for easier amp selection for a single driver.
Couldn't you just get an amp with a DSP like the Behringer inuke and just limit it to exactly what you want?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Couldn't you just get an amp with a DSP like the Behringer inuke and just limit it to exactly what you want?
You'd still have to deal with the ohm rating of the sub. The DVC 1262w will operate at either 2 ohms or 8 ohms. You can use a pro amp (I did) that will operate at 300w at either ohm rating, but it is way more cost effective to get the SVC version since subwoofer plate amps and even pro amps that are 300w at 4 ohms are way cheaper.

With my need of a plate amp for this build, I couldn't even find one that operated at 2/8 ohms. All the ones I found were 4 ohm amps.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It shows the ratings on amazon as 4 ohm.

Infinity 1260W Specifications
Power Handling, RMS: 300 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 1200 Watts
Sensitivity: 93dB
Frequency Response: 23Hz - 400Hz
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Mounting Depth: 6-7/16 inches (162 mm)
Cutout Diameter: 11-1/8 inches (282 mm)

ETA: I see now where you said you have 2 of the 1262's. I assumed a DVC would be 2-2ohm coils, and since this is primarily a car subwoofer, you would think it would be 4 ohm.

ETFA: In your OP, it says 1260w so I am just confused.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It shows the ratings on amazon as 4 ohm.

Infinity 1260W Specifications
Power Handling, RMS: 300 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 1200 Watts
Sensitivity: 93dB
Frequency Response: 23Hz - 400Hz
Impedance: 4 Ohms
Mounting Depth: 6-7/16 inches (162 mm)
Cutout Diameter: 11-1/8 inches (282 mm)

ETA: I see now where you said you have 2 of the 1262's. I assumed a DVC would be 2-2ohm coils, and since this is primarily a car subwoofer, you would think it would be 4 ohm.
Yeah, wish that were true, but for some reason they went with two 4 ohm coils. They sounded great getting 300w each, but that left 1200w of unused power available in my amp. Now I'll have 4, but that is another thread.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just got the sad news from amazon that my order can't be fulfilled because the item does not exist, but is available from other sellers for 129+.

Skwew yew, hippies!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just got the sad news from amazon that my order can't be fulfilled because the item does not exist, but is available from other sellers for 129+.

Skwew yew, hippies!
They are nice drivers, but $129 is about 2x too much $.

Heck, you may even be able to find these at a pawn shop in a box for a car for maybe $80 for a pair out the door. They were fairly common about 10 years ago.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Skwew yew, hippies!
Sadly I figured that would happen. I was really hoping you'd get yours.

On another note, I've got the wood for the side table in my garage. Now I just need the time to start cutting and putting this sucker together. I got some red oak so it should be a nice solid table. Once I put the current sub box and amp inside this thing will weigh close to 80 lbs or so.

Now to just get all the moving boxes out of the garage...

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
They are nice drivers, but $129 is about 2x too much $.

Heck, you may even be able to find these at a pawn shop in a box for a car for maybe $80 for a pair out the door. They were fairly common about 10 years ago.
Agreed. Not going to pay that. Have my eye on other drivers that aren't much more than that. I was kind of apprehensive with a driver with a brand logo as part of it's appearance anyway. When I pulled the trigger on that one, I did not notice the wait time and that is something else I typically don't do is buy ahead. So it kind of worked out anyway.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis