Should the subwoofers be:

• Directly above listening position.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
H

Hydrazine

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

I have a question about IB subwoofer placement.
There are eight 18" IB subwoofers that will be mounted in a manifold between the ceiling and attic.

They could be placed anywhere in the theater room ceiling. They could be split up and spread out or they could be grouped together directly above the listening position.

The only seat in the theater that matters is this one sweetspot seat. The rest of the room doesn't matter.

Would I be able to get higher output and more consistent response if the IB subwoofer manifold is located directly above the seating position?... I suspect it would because it would put the seat directly below in a fixed standing wave, unmoving and consistent at all the frequencies produced from the IB.
Lowpass @ 80Hz.

Is this correct? What do you think?

Thank you.
Hydrazine

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Placement is imperative with a subwoofer, and IBs are no different. My understanding is to take in-room measurements with a regular subwoofer to determine the best location, or at least the best of your available locations for the IB’s outlet. A center-of-room location is probably going to get the absolute worst response from any subwoofer. What you’re looking for is an absolute minimum of deep nulls - i.e. what you termed "consistent response."

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis