Inexpensive options for crossover of mains to subs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is a bit vague, but I am asking about ways to get a crossover that will relieve the speakers of bass (high pass filter) as well as the corresponding roll-off of the sub (low pass filter).

You are going to ask if this is a PC based system, or a traditional stereo, etc. I am interested in knowing any way you can skin this cat. This is more for future ideas than solving a specific situation in front of me (though I know AfterLife can use a good solution for PC).

Also, I have a vintage amp that has separate pre-out and amp-in connections. Is there a practical way to add a line-level XO and split the signal to the sub? (also, Blues Doctor is in this situation with his Yamaha R-S700)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
There used to be F-mods. Not even sure they are still being made, but many has used them in the past for X-over purposes. Might want to do a search on them and see if there are any out there that fit your needs. Seems like I used some for subsonic purposes in the past. Just can't remember very well exactly how I used them. I do know the F-mods came in High pass and Low pass varieties.

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Behringer CX2310?
This is what I use on my amp vinyl setup works fantastic with my Dayton 1200. TLSguy was the one who told me about it. Wish there was something like that small for a PC audio speaker/sub setup. The issue was the HVL-1 speaker was giving me more bass than I'd like and I wanted the sub to handle it alone. I'm using the EQ on the musicbee, which does a good job thus far and I disabled the PC's HD VDeck eq.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yamaha SP2060 (but even used they often fetch more than an AVR or equivalent miniDSP).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This is what I use on my amp vinyl setup works fantastic with my Dayton 1200. TLSguy was the one who told me about it. Wish there was something like that small for a PC audio speaker/sub setup. The issue was the HVL-1 speaker was giving me more bass than I'd like and I wanted the sub to handle it alone. I'm using the EQ on the musicbee, which does a good job thus far and I disabled the PC's HD VDeck eq.
I have to believe there is a software that allows you to control the transfer from speaker to sub using a classic crossover profile. Obviously, the EQ is not a bad solution if it works, but I like the idea of the transfer being matched so that the sub and the mains have a perfectly smooth transition. I'm not sure how well the roll-off as provided by EQ'ing the mains will match the roll-off using the subs crossover (at least that is how I think you are doing it).

This article is essentially "Expensive options for crossover of mains to sub":
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/three-ways-to-add-a-subwoofer-crossover-to-your-two-channel-system/

They suggest a couple of expensive software programs. I would be surprised if you could not find a simple XO software without all of the bells and whistles for $20 or less (or free). Maybe I am overly optomistic!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for all of the suggestions and keep 'em coming!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There used to be F-mods. Not even sure they are still being made, but many has used them in the past for X-over purposes. Might want to do a search on them and see if there are any out there that fit your needs. Seems like I used some for subsonic purposes in the past. Just can't remember very well exactly how I used them. I do know the F-mods came in High pass and Low pass varieties.

Cheers,

Phil
I would stay away from F-mods, they will change the impedance profile of the line and thus the frequency response. I don't know by how much though. It would be interesting to do a before and after comparison.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I would stay away from F-mods, they will change the impedance profile of the line and thus the frequency response. I don't know by how much though. It would be interesting to do a before and after comparison.
Yeah, I remember them telling me changing impedance also changes X-over frequencies. Not sure why I even bought some, but I did like 12-years ago. They worked for my needs then, but not sure even if they are still being made. But, one has to be aware of that very issue with respect to changing impedance.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis