AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would love to have that instead of my DefTechs!:D
Holy Macaroni!

You think the price will go down from $12,000/pr to $4,000/pr in 10 years so I might be able to afford them?:D

So many speakers, so little time...

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
You think the price will go down from $12,000/pr to $4,000/pr in 10 years so I might be able to afford them?:D
You can count on it,sooner or later some super rich nut job will dump a pair on Audiogon so he can make room for his new fangled whatever.

God i love super rich idiots :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can count on it,sooner or later some super rich nut job will dump a pair on Audiogon so he can make room for his new fangled whatever.

God i love super rich idiots :D
Yeah, what did Bruce Willis say in one of his movies?
Damn rich people!

I wish I were a DamnRichGuy!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I would love to have that instead of my DefTechs!:D
Holy Macaroni!

So, you don't really care about fidelity, eh? Just maximum SPL is your thing, I suppose.

A used B&W 801 Matrix Series II can be had for less then $2000 on eBay in superb condition. It will offer far superior fidelity as compared to any DefTech or this monstrosity I see in the pictures above.

-Chris

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So, you don't really care about fidelity, eh? Just maximum SPL is your thing, I suppose.

A used B&W 801 Matrix Series II can be had for less then $2000 on eBay in superb condition. It will offer far superior fidelity as compared to any DefTech or this monstrosity I see in the pictures above.

-Chris
Right on the money again Chris. I think I recognize the drivers, none exotic. There are an unnecessary number of crossovers, and the driver layout will result in a less than optimal lobing pattern. Yes, monstrosity is the correct description.

I

InTheIndustry

Senior Audioholic
Sorry to step in on your bashfest here, gang.....

Induction Dynamics is part of the same speaker group as Phase Technology (MES Audio Group http://www.mseaudio.com/ ) and thus, as a Phase Tech dealer, I can get these or anything else from the company. They are, I assure you, no joke. NOR are they a speaker that focuses on being on the top list of great values in audio. I actually almost bought these for myself for sheer "WTF?" factor instead of the RBH T-30LSE. But, sense caught hold of me as I don't have anywhere near the space to use them properly.... yet!

Simmilarly to Triad, Induction Dynamics custom builds, colors, or designs all of their speaker systems & components "in house" here in the good old USofA (Kansas City, if I remember right). They are truely custom. Meaning: If you have a funky dimension or shape that you need to fit a speaker in, they'll make it. Got a DIY design you want done with a truely pro-grade cabinet? They'll do it with enthusiasm. Dale Ernhardt jr. has a custom colored (Number 8 with flames and all sorts of stuff on them) pair of Induction Dynamics speakers. Personally, I find most of their cabinet designs to be "old" looking for my tastes, but I have heard Induction products and I would take ANYTHING they make over a Triad product anyday. They actually sound very very good and their entire line really isn't THAT expensive.

But, being realistic, in the case of the ID1.18 that you found a picture of I decided that even if Jesus would speak to me personally out of them after I'd hook them up, it wouldn't be worth it. That is, until I can figure out a really sweet paint job to put on them.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I will agree with IntheIndustry... these speakers are no joke !!!

I had a chance to audition the S1T a while back, and surely they are no joke whatsoever, in fact I thought they might have had one of the best, widest soundstages I have ever heard at the time... I was totally sold on them, until I heard the price.. they wanted $4500.00 for floor models.

I was going back and forth between a couple of other speakers, and then the guy switched to these... a warm feeling just washed over me, as my mouth just hung open waiting to catch flies. I was amazed at the clarity of the smooth but warm and detailed highs, mids were clean and clear with just enough punch but the lows just didn't have enough... but that was in 2 channel listening, and I would surely be adding a sub... The finish was like a Birdseye maple if I recall corectly, stunning...

If you ever have a chance to listen to them, don't let it get away...
Truly they have what it takes to engage a listener... They are not a speaker that is talked about very often, so when I saw this thread it brought back good memories...

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Right on the money again Chris. I think I recognize the drivers, none exotic. There are an unnecessary number of crossovers, and the driver layout will result in a less than optimal lobing pattern. Yes, monstrosity is the correct description.
The driver layout is fine. I will assume that dome mid is crossing around 500-600Hz to the lower mids, which makes this a non issue based on the 1/2 wavelength distance from center to center position of those lower mid units. In fact, I would expect a near ideal traditional off axis response based on the driver layer as seen in the picture.

My concern is with resonances. Almost invariably, larger enclosures only cause more panel resonance issues. True, most people don't notice these, because it seems like [speculation mode]they are used to the resonances, and assume this is a signature that is inherent of all speakers.[/speculation mode]

-Chris

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You could have been. If you would have spent more wisely on better speakers.

:D
I just love your cartoons!

You can joke that Def Techs are no good. Doesn't matter after I see those cartoons! I just crack up and forget everything.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But, being realistic, in the case of the ID1.18 that you found a picture of I decided that even if Jesus would speak to me personally out of them after I'd hook them up, it wouldn't be worth it. That is, until I can figure out a really sweet paint job to put on them.
I believe the ID1-18 comes in 80+ COLORS!!!

Like you said, "CUSTOM".

You think they can build a DIY Subwoofer and make it look exactly like a DefTech Subwoofer?:D

EDIT: Oh, sorry, maybe just the grille comes in 80+ colors. My bad.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis