Independent measurements for SVS PC12-NSD?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Based on endless testimonials and assurances that SVS cylinder subs and box subs are nearly interchangeable in performance (at least in current models), and on the independent measurements I've seen of the PB12-NSD (box), and on SVS's published specs and measurements, I feel pretty confident going with PC12-NSD (cylinder) in my new HT.

Having said that...I would still love to find some decent objective measurements for this model if I could before taking the plunge. The only ones I know of are the minimalist measurements from Sound & Vision:
22 to 235 Hz, ±3 dB
Low bass (40-63 Hz) average: 118.1 dB
Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz) average: 115.6 dB

Which has a bit less extension than SVS states (18Hz), and less extension than the SB12-NSD measures. Still impressive numbers, but a little richer detail would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I find S+V's measurements to be inconsistent.

Ricci's review of the PB12-NSD would be good enough for me. The performance between the two units should be virtually identical. There's no reason for SVS to say they're the same when they aren't :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First SVS I ever heard was the 25-31PC and it was impressive...and that was way back when. I don't think you have anything to worry about and if you are REALLY concerned, get the PB.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
if you are REALLY concerned, get the PB.

J_Garcia: I don't think I'm so much being " REALLY concerned" as I am being " REALLY anal retentive". :eek: I think the lighter weight and lower price will eventually outweigh that.

its phillip: I'm a little wary of S&V's measurements myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you can look for the old ground plane tests of the bash models (cylinder and box).
but i don't think there's one for the latest pc12nsd.

they're really the same sub: same driver, amp and volume. the shape is what's different, and that's why there's a difference in the ground plane measurements.

there's no way to 100% equalize the front facing port and woofer of the box version versus the extreme orientation of the cylinder port and woofer vis a vis the measurement microphone.

that said, once you bring either sub to your room, the orientation wouldn't matter as much as the subwoofer location.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I had seen some older tests, and there did seem to be a tendency towards a little less linearity, but that makes total sense with the ground plane measurements, now that I think about it.

E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Mike is correct. The quasi-anechoic FR for both units is virtually the same. There is a slight difference in CEA-2010 measurements due to the proximity of the woofer and port relative to the mic (we test the PC laying sideways and standing up), as compared to the front-firing/ported PB12. In-room though, those differences are negligible and they are considered performance equals, sharing the same amp, driver, port and similar enclosure volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis