Incompatible audio signal

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
I just installed an Onkyo TXSR507 home theater receiver and hooked it up to a sharp tv using a HDMI cable. Everything seems to work ok on the TV and sound system, but every time I turn the TV on I get the following message on the screen: "An incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings."

I do not have clue as to what settings to check. AS you may guess by now, I am not a techie.

Any advice, please??? :confused:
Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Bill!

The Onkyo allows you to send an audio stream over HDMI to the TV, but it won't play audio out of the speakers connected to the Onkyo if you set it up that way. I'm assuming that you want to listen to the audio through the speakers connected to the Onkyo and don't want to listen through your TV speakers. So, I'm focused at the moment at fixing this at the TV instead of doing that.

To help troubleshoot the TV, what is the model number of your Sharp TV?

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
The Sharp model is LC-52sb57un. The sound from the TV comes out of the speakers now. Thanks for the help.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd like to get some more details so that I understand how you have things connected and how you want things to work.
  • When you say that the sound from the TV comes out of the speakers, do you mean that you are running the audio from the TV through the speakers connected to the Onkyo? Or do you mean that you are using the speakers on the TV to listen to things?
  • How do you have the receiver connected to the TV?
  • What other components are connected (e.g. cable box, DVD player, blu-ray player)?
Thanks.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I just installed an Onkyo TXSR507 home theater receiver and hooked it up to a sharp tv using a HDMI cable. Everything seems to work ok on the TV and sound system, but every time I turn the TV on I get the following message on the screen: "An incompatible audio signal has been received. Check the output device settings."

I do not have clue as to what settings to check. AS you may guess by now, I am not a techie.

Any advice, please??? :confused:
Thanks
I checked you TV and Onkyo and both are HDMI 1.3 compliant. It might be just a sequencing problem. Which do you turn on first - the TV or The Onkyo ? You might try reversing the power-on order. Especially since everything works okay.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
I checked you TV and Onkyo and both are HDMI 1.3 compliant. It might be just a sequencing problem. Which do you turn on first - the TV or The Onkyo ? You might try reversing the power-on order. Especially since everything works okay.

Good Luck!

Forest Man
I tried turning one on first then the other but I still got the message.

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
I'd like to get some more details so that I understand how you have things connected and how you want things to work.
  • When you say that the sound from the TV comes out of the speakers, do you mean that you are running the audio from the TV through the speakers connected to the Onkyo? Or do you mean that you are using the speakers on the TV to listen to things?
  • How do you have the receiver connected to the TV?
  • What other components are connected (e.g. cable box, DVD player, blu-ray player)?
Thanks.
The sound from the TV only comes out of the surround sound speakers. The only connection between the Onkyo and the TV is the HDMI cable.

My wiring/components are:
Directv dish to satellite DVR (HR22-700) via coax, DVR to Onkyo receiver via HDMI, Onkyo receiver to TV Via HDMI. No other components or connections at this time.

I use my DVR remote to control the DVR, TV and Onkyo receiver. When I press the remote button to change the sound volume I do not see the volume slide bar that would be displayed on the TV screen if I connect the TV straight to the DVR.

Thanks

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I may be missing something here, but shouldn't you just turn HDMI audio out -- off? That would eliminate any audio signal being sent out from the Onkyo to your TV. I would think that's what you want...everything running to Onkyo, then send video to TV and keep audio to source - receiver - speakers hooked up to Onkyo?

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
I may be missing something here, but shouldn't you just turn HDMI audio out -- off? That would eliminate any audio signal being sent out from the Onkyo to your TV. I would think that's what you want...everything running to Onkyo, then send video to TV and keep audio to source - receiver - speakers hooked up to Onkyo?
Sounds like it is worth a try. How do I turn the HDMI audio out off? Thanks

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The default on the 507 is to not send audio out the HDMI output connections. If that had been set so that audio was being sent to the Sharp, then no sound would be coming out from the speakers connected to the receiver. My guess since last night is that the Sharp is giving an error message because it isn't receiving any audio signal - hence my questions. If that were the case, then you would set the 507 up to send audio to the TV, but you do NOT want to do that because you won't be able to listen through the Onkyo if you do that.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
The default on the 507 is to not send audio out the HDMI output connections. If that had been set so that audio was being sent to the Sharp, then no sound would be coming out from the speakers connected to the receiver. My guess since last night is that the Sharp is giving an error message because it isn't receiving any audio signal - hence my questions. If that were the case, then you would set the 507 up to send audio to the TV, but you do NOT want to do that because you won't be able to listen through the Onkyo if you do that.
I believe with the 805 at least that if HDMI audio out was ON, then stereo sound was all that was output, through HDMI and connected speakers. Perhaps anyway...but now I follow your questions, sorry for the interruption! :)

Regarding turning it on or off for the heck of it, I can't find much info, except maybe "menu item #7" has something to do with it. Just look through the set up options and see if it's off.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If the audio is going to the speakers connected to the receiver, then the HDMI out setting is correct.

Because the receiver is sending only video to the TV, there is no audio signal for the TV and hence it complains 'incompatible audio signal'. I'd bet turning the internal speakers of the TV OFF will solve the problem.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
I figured iut how to check to see the status of the audion on/off to the TV. The audio is off to the TV...
That's good. Try MDS' suggestion, look in the menu on your tv for an option to turn the speakers off and see what happens.

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
If the audio is going to the speakers connected to the receiver, then the HDMI out setting is correct.

Because the receiver is sending only video to the TV, there is no audio signal for the TV and hence it complains 'incompatible audio signal'. I'd bet turning the internal speakers of the TV OFF will solve the problem.
I cannot turn the internal speakers off on the TV.

K

Kentucky Bill

Audiophyte
I cannot turn the internal speakers off on the TV.
After a lot of digging through the TV manual and trying different options I found a way to disengage the TV speakers. And you guys were right, the message went away. Many thanks to all of you who contributed!!!

This issue is resolved....

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Possible Solutions

Kentucky_Bill,

Sorry for your frustration. Let's try again. Here is your manual:
[URL="http://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=SN29344940A_TX-SR507_577_En_web.pdf] TX-SR507 [/URL]

Here is where to download your Sharp TV manual: http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/ProductDownloads.aspx

Your LC-52SB57UN manual specifically: http://www.sharpusa.com/~/media/633E83A5A6C14560A9ED94628C3AA08A.ashx

I have reread the thread several times and I am confused as to what you actually want to do (Sorry my fault) so I amgoing to give you two solutions.

(1) You don't have any speakers connected to the Onkyo 507 and want the sound to come from the TV speakers.

On page 76 of your manual you need to set AudioTVOut = "ON" the default is "OFF"

You will connect an HDMI source/s to Onkyo 507 then connect the Onkyo to TV via HDMI via one of the three input HDMI connections ( Input 6,7, or 8) This will work the same as if you had connected the input
source directly to the TV.

(2) You have speakers connected to the Onkyo 507 and you want the sound to come out of the Onkyo connected speakers and not the TV. Set the AudioTVOut to "OFF" The TV speakers will not receive an audio signal and will be quiet.

If you are connecting via either (1) or (2) and you get the error message and then the audio and video work as you expect, then it might be a Sharp TV firmware error. You can either contact Sharp or simply ignore the message.

Good Luck!

Forest Man

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Forest, look up one post from yours. :)
LOL Adam, Kentucky_Bill posted that while I was researching and developing a solution !

But great the problem is resolved.

Peace,

Forest Man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis