Inaugural Florida Audio Expo coming to Tampa Feb 2019

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
FYI, some members of the Suncoast and Sarasota Audiophile Societies have joined forces to bring a new high-end audio show to Tampa in Feb 2019... https://floridaaudioexpo.com

Although not (yet) on the scale of Axpona or RMAF, they already have a large number of major exhibitors lined up. Given the ongoing demise of brick and mortar audio stores, this should be a great resource for both beginner and devoted audiophiles throughout the Southeast.

Looking forward to it!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Strange location imo. I assume they're expecting a regional draw.

Having lived in Tampa (albeit many yrs ago), I wouldn't think Tampa/Ste Pete metro area alone to be able to support such an event....obviously plenty of well heeled homeowners in FL, but I think they will have to draw from So. FL, SW FL and the Atlantic coast for this to be a success.

Hope it goes well, because you're right...high end brick and mortar is still retreating even with the rise in the economy.

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
For any of you heading to Tampa for the show, here's the extended weather forecast for the Expo weekend! No polar vortex here!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For any of you heading to Tampa for the show, here's the extended weather forecast for the Expo weekend! No polar vortex here!

73f? I guess you ought to put on a down coat /s

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Strange location imo. I assume they're expecting a regional draw.

Having lived in Tampa (albeit many yrs ago),I wouldn't think Tampa/Ste Pete metro area alone to be able to support such an event....obviously plenty of well heeled homeowners in FL, but I think they will have to draw from So. FL, SW FL and the Atlantic coast for this to be a success.

Hope it goes well, because you're right...high end brick and mortar is still retreating even with the rise in the economy.
Lots of AH founders are from Tampa area, including Gene afaik. Judging purely from me being at AH-GTG 2012 - there were plenty of visitors... and Economy is mostly up from that time...

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
There has been growing interest in high-end audio in the Tampa Bay area. In addition to our Suncoast Audiophile Society, there is also a Sarasota Audiophile Society. Most importantly, the organizers of this new regional show hope to attract local college students and millennials, who represent the next generation of audio hobbyists.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Lots of AH founders are from Tampa area, including Gene afaik. Judging purely from me being at AH-GTG 2012 - there were plenty of visitors... and Economy is mostly up from that time...
Duly noted...the old sleepy town by the bay is waking up. Love the golf there...good to hear hi end audio is thriving. Tampa is where I bought my very 1st hi end system.

Hopefully the show goes over very well.

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
FYI, the show was a resounding success! There were well over 2500+ attendees during the 3 day show, with a diverse demographic mix, including a number of millennials, and women. I've been told the vendors were already asking when they can reserve rooms for next year, so it's definitely going to be an annual show.

There were lots of audio journalists in attendance (who wouldn't want an assignment in Tampa in Feb <g>), and some online reports are already getting posted.

Gene was there too, so I'm sure he'll be posting his perspectives.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I was, on the whole, disappointed.

The good:
I got to listen to some speakers I'd wanted to hear play for some time, including Wilson Audio, Harbeth, and MBL.
There were a lot of vendors overall .
Some of the big names were there, like Paradigm and ML.
There were some unexpected gems
I've likely found my next computer speakers.
Some of the turntables were creatively cool

The bad:
There was not enough space to do listening in the small rooms with more than 2-5 people.
Across 8 floors was a bit annoying (trying to remember who was where was frustrating because not everyone was labeled completely)
The snake-oil was oozing out the windows. Most of the vendors were amp/cable/etc, and I got to hear someone describe the benefits of the case material for his amp.
The prices on most items.

The ugly
I can barely tolerate the logic of records... what is with the reel-to-reels?
Some of the speaker designers had lost their HF hearing and were trying their best to break mine.

Note: >80% of all demo rooms had a turntable spinning and maybe half had reel-to-reels.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
^ Ewww, this is precisely why I don't attend these audiophile shows. I don't know what's worse, the lies or the prices.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis