In-Wall + In-Ceiling speakers Combination for a multi-purpose room

L

laraz

Audiophyte
Hi folks
I finished wiring my whole house for A/V, and I am now planning to start buying the components at least for the main room, which is where I have a 55 inch 3D Samsung (series 8). This is our living room, and we use it for parties, HT and general listening to music.
I have wired for a 5.1 set up: In-wall speakers for front (L, R, C) and 2 in-ceiling for the rear. This room opens to the dining room, in which I have wiring for 2 in-ceiling.

I am looking for good speakers and a sub (I can either go with an in-wall sub, or have a bit of space in the corner behind a sectional couch (that is more round than a sectional, so at least 1-2 feet of space). I can buy Polk, JBL and Infinity with discounted wholesale prices (I'm a Directbuy member), unless you can recommend something of higher quality and better prices than wholesale Polk, JBL or Infinity.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'd recommend JBL out of those three, followed by Infinity. Straight up no Polk. Can you list any specific speakers from the aforementioned brands?

What is your budget?

L

laraz

Audiophyte
I think Infinity and JBL both have only entry level in-wall/in-ceilings, I tried looking in the websites, and that was my conclusion, unless there's somethign specific you would recommend.
From Polk, I was thinking of going with the following (sorry I still can't post links):
265-LS for front channels
255-LS for center
80-F/X-LS for surrounds
DSW PRO 550wi for subwoofer

I can get these wholesale, and the total was around 2500$ (including taxes).
I would like not to exceed this budget (as it is a beyond what I can actually spend!)
Thanks!

L

laraz

Audiophyte
One addition, this is not a dedicated HT, so we'll be using that room for music listening (we watch operas and concerts on TV too), and might have parties in that room too.

split0101

split0101

Junior Audioholic
I did in-wall speakers for my general media room. The wife wanted something the blend into the room so they had to be flush mount. I ended up going with the Def Tech DI 5.5. I was able to demo Def Tech's at a Best Buy and liked the sound. I ended up installing a 5.1 system using 3x DI 5.5 and 2x DI 5.5 BPS.

The thing you need to note about in wall speakers is that the sound is going to travel pretty well to other adjacent rooms that share a common wall where your speakers are installed. Its good to plan out some sound control in advance to keep it as contained as possible.

Another thing to note is your stud spacing. If you have 16 OC then the center channel can be a bit of a pain to install horizontally depending on how the install hardware attaches to the dry wall. The Def Tech's were a bit of a pain.

After this project I would prefer to use "on wall" instead of "in wall" due to more mounting options when it comes to your stud placement.

Hope this helps.

L

laraz

Audiophyte
Thanks Split101
I actually have built a wood unit just to enclose the TV and the speakers (my wall is an external wall and there are no studs (block wall). So I am assuming the sound will be well contained/controlled

I still haven't bought the speakers that I mentioned (Polk) as I am still waiting for people's take on them!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not to harsh your mellow, but while those speakers might be "adequate" for an occasional TV program, sports event, or even background music for parties, you will most likely not be satisfied with their performance with operas and concerts, or anywhere serious music is called for.

L

laraz

Audiophyte
would you please recommend an alternative then? while i know that free standing speakers would be better, i simply have no space, no shelves, and i completely hate the look of on walls! i would appreciate it if you can recommend some in_wall and in ceilings of good quality for a total not exceeding 2500

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It was just a casual observation based on experience.

You really limit the options when you specify no free-standing, shelf, or wall mounted speakers. I guess you really have other options then. Sorry I bothered you.

L

laraz

Audiophyte
who said I am bothered?
I am looking for good in-wall speakers, and if you happen to know any, sharing would be the constructive thing to do!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis