In the market for an A/V receiver, please HELP!!!

D

derek44

Enthusiast
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am very excited to build a home theater system, but I am so confused after reading all of the reviews out there as to what to buy. Which of these 4 receivers below would give me the best audio for both home theater and music and the best picture quality given my set up below. Or is there another receiver in this price range (up to $3,000) that i should be considering? I was leaning towards the Pioneer, but now I'm not sure after reading this review. Here is my set up, I have everything hooked up via HDMI.

62" 1080pm DLP Mitsubishi
panasonic blu ray
kilpsh L/R speaker/center/surround
martin logan descent i sub
HD cable/DVR box

Pioneer SC 07

Denon 4308

Integra DTR 9.9

Marantz AV 8003

thanks for your help!

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
I'd go with the Denon if you are willing to spend that much

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am very excited to build a home theater system, but I am so confused after reading all of the reviews out there as to what to buy. Which of these 4 receivers below would give me the best audio for both home theater and music and the best picture quality given my set up below. Or is there another receiver in this price range (up to $3,000) that i should be considering? I was leaning towards the Pioneer, but now I'm not sure after reading this review. Here is my set up, I have everything hooked up via HDMI.

panasonic blu ray
HD cable/DVR box

Pioneer SC 07

Denon 4308

Integra DTR 9.9

Marantz AV 8003

thanks for your help!
If I were you, I would do the following:

a) prepare a spreadsheet and list all the features that each AVR has.
b) identify which of these features are essential for you and which ones you can live without. Things to consider are 1. speakers with 6-8 ohm nominal and mid to high sensitivity which don't require a stout amp section or speakers that have low impedance lower than 6 ohms nominal and low sensitivty speakers that require a beast of an amp if its the latter case, choose the receiver that delivers the most dynamic power given the AVR are within teh same general power output capbility, +/- 10 or so watts per channel 2. latest surround sound codecs, 3. number of HDMI in and out including audio, not just an HDMI switcher, 4. video upconversion
c) if the receiver doesn't have what you absolute must have or want, eliminate it from your list.
d) For the remaining AVRs on your list, go down to the audio retailers and ask to play/use with each AVR to see ease of use. Choose the one thats easiest for you to use.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Do you need a $3k receiver?

For $3k, I'd forget about receivers and get separates.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

panasonic blu ray
HD cable/DVR box

Pioneer SC 07

Denon 4308

Integra DTR 9.9

Marantz AV 8003

thanks for your help!
Which Klipsh speakers do you have? They are rather sensitive and don't need much power for very loud output levels, so it may be an easy speaker to drive and have no need for separates.

Is this a 5.1 or a 7.1 setup? Are you considering a sub upgrade?
I would think with that BluRay you'd want a receiver that can process both Dolby and DTS hi def audio formats.
Music reproduction will depend on the music source, your speakers and your room, least of all the receiver.
You should be able to find a good receiver for those speakers and still have funds left over from that $3k to buy a good sub? May also want to consider Onkyo?

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
derek, how large is your room? Is it a dedicated HT room? Which Klipsch speakers? 3db makes a good point about the features needed. You seem to be starting from scratch and don’t need a lot of bells & whistles. You look like you’re providing HD content and up-scaled video via the BD player so scaling through the receiver isn’t necessary. My preference would be toward the Denon 3808/4308, Marantz SR8002, Onkyo 806.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis