In the market for a receiver or pre-amp

P

practal

Audiophyte
I am nearly done building my first good audio system and I am now looking for a pre-amp or receiver.

Currently Using:
Emotiva XPA-2 For Mains
Emotiva XPA-3 For Surrounds And Center
PSB GT-1 3 Speakers For Mains And Center Channel
Rythmik F15HP
Marantz SR5600

I plan on adding a second subwoofer plus adding the surrounds in the next few months. I want to swap out the Marantz before the others are added. I am open to a pre-amp or AVR however I have no need for the amp in an AVR. I only intend on using 5.2 currently.

My main reason for upgrading is to get the 5.2 set-up and I would like to try an Audyssey type program. My Marantz sounds good but it also seems light on settings. I had an old Outlaw Pre-amp that allowed for greater customization and that is not present on the SR-5600.

I use an HTPC for all my media playback (Music,Blu-Ray,Streaming,Video from media server). I have the HTPC hooked up to my tv through HDMI and the HTPC connected directly to the Marantz through a toslink. This is the only thing I have hooked up for a source.

I have no need for video processing features and I'm not worried about HDMI.
I do not need networking or internet features since I use my HTPC. I do not need multiple zone features.

I would prefer to get the best sound quality I can afford opposed to bells and whistles. My main concern is music but this set-up will also be for home theater.

My budget is up to $1500 however I wouldn't mind spending less. I have been looking around but would like some help finding a quality unit.

Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure you looked at this but you didn't say you ruled it out. Love the SQ of my UMC-1 and have no issues with it. It was a big step up from the Denon AVR I was using before it. You could add a USP-1 for stereo with money left over and only 4ru's of rack space.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My main reason for upgrading is to get the 5.2 set-up and I would like to try an Audyssey type program.
For 5.2 dual subs, all you need is a $5 Y-cable (Y-splitter). Then you will have 2 sub outputs.

For Audyssey, you could just get a Denon AVR like 3310, 3311, 3312, 4310, 4311, 4312, etc., and use as a pre-pro. Any of these AVRs will sound great for both Music and Movie. The newer models will have slightly fancier Audyssey to play with.

The 3310 & 4310 models are highly discounted right now. You could get the 3310 "Like New" for $460 and 4310 brand new for $900 on amazon.

V

Vracer111

Audioholic
If you are concerned mainly about audio quality and not about 'bells and whistles' I'd recommend at least looking into the NAD T747 receiver... especially since it just became available for 1/2 it's normal price - $600 is a steal for this Receiver. No Audyssey (does have a speaker auto-calibration function though) but customization is great - you can assign any input to any device - with adjustable options for each audio format and plenty of speaker custom calibration options as well. Audio is spectacular too...it does nuances of sound very well... SACD's and Blu-Ray concerts are a joy to listen to.

Would also recommend the DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Automatic Subwoofer Equalizer for getting the most out of your subwoofers with the touch of a button calibration...It's a room correction device that works wonders for subwoofers. Allows you to put the subs in the corners and get better quality bass than before. I can't wait to upgrade from my pair of 'barely subwoofers' to real subwoofers (two 15" Rythmik's - custom install series with custom cabinets) ... the DSPeaker is probably the best system upgrade I've done besides the NAD P2200 Power Envelope Amp to drive the mains - it is very much worth the purchase price!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am nearly done building my first good audio system and I am now looking for a pre-amp or receiver.

Currently Using:
Emotiva XPA-2 For Mains
Rythmik F15HP
Marantz SR5600

I plan on adding a second subwoofer plus adding the surrounds in the next few months. I want to swap out the Marantz before the others are added. I am open to a pre-amp or AVR however I have no need for the amp in an AVR. I only intend on using 5.2 currently.

My main reason for upgrading is to get the 5.2 set-up and I would like to try an Audyssey type program. My Marantz sounds good but it also seems light on settings. I had an old Outlaw Pre-amp that allowed for greater customization and that is not present on the SR-5600.

I use an HTPC for all my media playback (Music,Blu-Ray,Streaming,Video from media server). I have the HTPC hooked up to my tv through HDMI and the HTPC connected directly to the Marantz through a toslink. This is the only thing I have hooked up for a source.

I do not need networking or internet features since I use my HTPC. I do not need multiple zone features.

I would prefer to get the best sound quality I can afford opposed to bells and whistles. My main concern is music but this set-up will also be for home theater.

My budget is up to $1500 however I wouldn't mind spending less. I have been looking around but would like some help finding a quality unit.
If you want to have the latest Audyssey and poplular brand name DACs, your choice will be either the Onkyo/Integra prepro, or the Denon 4311 and waste 7 of the 9 internal amps. Other choices could be the very affordable 4310. If you are okay with the older Audyssey version, the Marantz AV8003 could be your ticket.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I plan on adding a second subwoofer plus adding the surrounds in the next few months.
My main reason for upgrading is to get the 5.2 set-up and I would like to try an Audyssey type program.
You want XT32 with Sub EQ HT. Might as well get the most value, IMO. (If you decided to get Audyssey bass mgmt for TWO subs afterward*, then get ready to throw down at least $750, or more.) You have four choices:

Onkyo TX-NR3008
Onkyo PR-SC5508
Integra DTR-70.2
Denon AVR-4311CI

My budget is up to $1500 however I wouldn't mind spending less.
You can afford the first, cannot afford the second, probably cannot the third, and can perhaps swing the last if you throw down just about $100 more.

95prelude

Audioholic Intern

Currently Using:
Emotiva XPA-2 For Mains
Rythmik F15HP
Marantz SR5600

Would u be interested in a Marantz AV7005 processor? It's about $1500 and its great.

K

k_lewis

Junior Audioholic

Currently Using:
Emotiva XPA-2 For Mains
Rythmik F15HP
Marantz SR5600

The Integra 80.2 warrants strong consideration- At $2300 list it is a heck of a steal for what it gives you. It has full XLR outs for all channels and two independent subwoofer outputs (also XLR), and is 9.2 capable. The two sub out levels are independently configurable, which you will need when arranging two subs properly in a room. Just using a Y splitter or daisy-chaining off a single output will not yield optimal level settings. The Integra has full video upscaling to 1080P with built in ISF video calibration controls (for each video source input, independently), plus the latest Audessy sound calibration and setup mic. It is the only pre-pro under $6k that I have witnessed going head to head with a $13k Theta CBIII and doing equally well on theater sound playback. Musically, of course a Theta CBIII will sound better but IMO the Integra was very darn close- Certainly more so than it's paltry price tag should warrant. The comparison test setup had all Theta amps, Genesis 5.3 speakers for the source direct 2ch music test, and for the theater test a full 10.4 setup of BG Radia line array speakers and matching subs. During the test, the processor was switched back and forth between the Theta and the Integra, so you could get a clear distinction and comparison.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Z

ZeGhostbear

Junior Audioholic
You want XT32 with Sub EQ HT. Might as well get the most value, IMO. (If you decided to get Audyssey bass mgmt for TWO subs afterward*, then get ready to throw down at least $750, or more.) You have four choices:

Onkyo TX-NR3008
Onkyo PR-SC5508
Integra DTR-70.2
Denon AVR-4311CI

You can afford the first, cannot afford the second, probably cannot the third, and can perhaps swing the last if you throw down just about $100 more.
Actually you can find the second pretty close to $1500. I am glad that most Onkyo products can be found for less than the MSRP, although it was a little harder with the PR-SC5508.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis