In-ceiling Speaker Cable

D

deweyking

Audiophyte
I have a new home that is equipped with two (2) in-ceiling speakers. The speaker cable is terminated in a wall socket inside a built-in cabinet next to the fireplace. On the other side of the fireplace is another cabinet that houses my television, DVR, and AV receiver. There is a pass through hole behind the fireplace from one cabinet to the other. I have the exact same configuration downstairs except there are four (4) in-ceiling speakers. The cable from the speakers is marked as CL3 Audio cable. There is no connector attached to the end of the cable. My research shows that the CL3 cable is HDMI rated.

My questions:
1 - What kind of connector do I need to buy so I can connect to my AV receiver?
2 - Is it difficult to attach the connector?
3 - Is it possible to attach a longer HDMI cable to this connector to reach the receiver?
4 - Is it odd that there is only one CL3 cable for all speakers?
5 - What else should I be concerned/aware of?
6 - Am I in over my head?

deweyking

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You are going to want to take some photos, pad your post count, then post the photos of what you have.

CL3 means that it is rated for installation behind the wall (fire code).

If you have a cable, it will be terminated with a HDMI connection on it, it will not be a 'bare wire'. So, my feeling is that it is not a HDMI cable, but is more likely some sort of speaker wire.

1. If you need to connect speaker wire to your A/V receiver, then you connect it as described in the owner's manual for your A/V receiver.
2. You shouldn't need a connector, but if you DO want an easier connection to your A/V receiver, then pick up banana plugs which are very easy to connect. You will also need something to strip the wires. You can use household scissors or a sharp knife (carefully!).
3. You don't power speakers with an HDMI cable. You can extend speaker cables with wire nuts or in-line splices easily.
4. Yes, it is odd that if there are four speakers there is only one cable. If there are TWO speakers, then there may be a four conductor cable (red/black/white/green). That's when photos help.
5. You will want to ask questions and learn more and use Google a great deal if you want to follow up and get more specific answers to your questions.
6. Maybe, but it depends on your technical ability and willingness to learn.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis