Improve system with a computer source

C

cata02

Audiophyte
Hello,

My system is a computer-based system: Vincent sv-121 integrated amplifier and a pair of jamo bookshelves (c803).

I use a creative x-fi as a source.

I want to improve the system.

What do you think?

An external dac? an dedicated cd-player (naim)? changing cables (i now use ordinary cables for computer<->amplif connection)?

I would prefer the dac if it would make a audible difference.

Thanks!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The only way your sound card is affecting the sound is if you have a setting configured incorrectly to produce some sort of sound processing. Any thing you hear 'improved' with a new source is simply the good ol' imagination at work.

Want to improve it? Get better speakers and/or use some acoustical treatments behind/around the speakers.

-Chris

C

cata02

Audiophyte
Interesting ideas.
Maybe diffrent soundcards have relative similar analog outputs, i can't tell because i didnt experiment much.
how about using the digital out (optical/coax) from the sound card feeding an external dac (a rockna one, for example)?

do you think it would make a audible difference?

i recently found out about squeezbox.

what do you think about the receiver? (receiver optical out->external dac->amp)

thanks.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting ideas.
Maybe diffrent soundcards have relative similar analog outputs, i can't tell because i didnt experiment much.
how about using the digital out (optical/coax) from the sound card feeding an external dac (a rockna one, for example)?

thanks.
External DAC. Internal DAC. Same end result = transparent signal.

This is not true only if you a problem with obvious noise injection or accidental processing enabled feature or the device was so poorly designed(or defective) that it has extreme levels of distortion or frequency response deviation.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting ideas.

thanks.
Add a Behringer DCX2496 DSP processor between the sound card's analog output and the Vincent's inputs. The DCX will give you precision control over the speaker response - to a far higher degree than a regular (worthless) equalizer control. You can, with such high precision, control the subjective 'tightness' of your subwoofer, or use subtle shelving filters to control high end sibilance. Just two examples. The DCX also has a superb GUI software that you can use to adjust it directly from your computer. Just hook it up with a serial cable. You can literally 'draw' the response you want using your mouse to push/pull the response curve using a DCX.

Read the following link where I measure a popular normal EQ vs. DCX:
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8930&page=3

In addition, the DCX is noiseless, assuming you set the gains correctly. It is a transparent device except for the manipulations that you intend/program. It is also a precision DSP xover system, should you ever want to add subwoofers(or supertweeters) to your desktop system.

In addition the DCX, place some 4" thick GIK Acoustics or Ready Acoustics panels behind your speakers. This will go a long way towards increasing fidelity. The GIK are cheapest. The Ready Acoustics are very 'high class' looking - but cost more.

Also, if you have the speakers sitting directly on the computer desk, or sitting on solid stands on the computer desk: put some soft cushion foam between the speaker and stand/desk. The speaker will vibrate the desk causing substantial acoustic coloration as the desk is radiating a large surface area.

Considering the price of the speakers and amplifier you are using, these extra pieces are not expensive.

-Chris

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Also, if you have the speakers sitting directly on the computer desk, or sitting on solid stands on the computer desk: put some soft cushion foam between the speaker and stand/desk. The speaker will vibrate the desk causing substantial acoustic coloration as the desk is radiating a large surface area.

-Chris
On that note, I bought some of the Auralex MoPads to angle my center channel speaker upwards a bit. The package comes with two sets so I didn't want to waste the second set and used them under the computer speakers. My computer setup is modest by all means becuse I really no longer care about ultimate fidellity for playing my 192 kbps MP3s using Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers (about $100).

I'm fully aware of the placebo affect and hearing what you want/expect to hear but I swear that simple little change did make a difference. Now granted it is minimal, but the simple act of elevating the computer speakers 2" on these so-called sound isolation pads made a reasonable difference in sound quality. What do you think about that?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
OP, WmAx has it all in his posts. Don't purchase an outboard DAC or cables, it won't make a lick of difference unless you want it to.;)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
On that note, I bought some of the Auralex MoPads to angle my center channel speaker upwards a bit. The package comes with two sets so I didn't want to waste the second set and used them under the computer speakers. My computer setup is modest by all means becuse I really no longer care about ultimate fidellity for playing my 192 kbps MP3s using Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers (about $100).

I'm fully aware of the placebo affect and hearing what you want/expect to hear but I swear that simple little change did make a difference. Now granted it is minimal, but the simple act of elevating the computer speakers 2" on these so-called sound isolation pads made a reasonable difference in sound quality. What do you think about that?
I don't know anything about that product or if it is even a very effective isolator. However, in the normal case of moderate heavy computer speakers(10lbs or greater) sitting on a normal desk with solid mechanical coupling; the desk will act as a radiation surface. This is the very same principle, btw, that those now popular NXT drivers operate upon. You know, the drivers you can attach to virtually any surface(wall, etc.) and get the wall to act like a [very poor quality] speaker. The same drivers are now being used, albeit in miniature form, in those new annoying greetings cards. Instead of a regular speaker, the transducer turns the entire card into a speaker - creating a non-localized sound source, and requiring no holes or vent to allow sound to transfer through the card material.

-Chris

C

cata02

Audiophyte
I keep my speakers on floorstands (60cm tall).

what do you think about a media server (like the azur 640h)?
it would be a interesting option for mi because i'd stop using the main computer.

ps. i've posted this q on other forums and the answers range from changing the cables to buying a naim cdplayer or using and external dac. :)

thanks.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I keep my speakers on floorstands (60cm tall).

what do you think about a media server (like the azur 640h)?
it would be a interesting option for mi because i'd stop using the main computer.
Unless the media server has some kind of defect, it should offer the same sound quality. Go for it, if you want this feature.

ps. i've posted this q on other forums and the answers range from changing the cables to buying a naim cdplayer or using and external dac. :)

thanks.
Well, those all sound like the typical ignorant answers provided by the average audiophile. I don't mean to be harsh - but they are useless answers. I recommended solutions above that can result in substantial, real, audible differences(a way to control/manipulate your response with high precision and acoustic condition treatments).

If you think the recommendation for new DACs/source/cables is on par, then you should not waste your time consulting me, as I offer only practical/proven solutions, not placebo pills.

-Chris

C

cata02

Audiophyte
i tend to believe in numbers and in my own ears. :)
i'll start looking into the media servers -- it looks promising.

do you have any experience using this kind of equipment?

thanks, cata.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
i tend to believe in numbers and in my own ears. :)
i'll start looking into the media servers -- it looks promising.

do you have any experience using this kind of equipment?

thanks, cata.
Do you mean media servers? No, I don't have one.

Do you mean the DSP gear and acoustics control treatments? Yes.

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis