Importance of matching?

O

opinion8d

Audiophyte
I'm a newbie but I've been trying to read up a lot recently...

Had an opportunity to pick up a non-matching set of Energy speakers and was wondering what is the consensus of having a non-matched set on sound quality?

Center: Energy CC3
Fronts: Energy C-7
Rears: Energy XL-250

I know the XL-250 as tower rears is unconventional but the price was comparable to picking up 2 C-3 speakers and the stands for them. I was even considering the RC-30s but the wife didn't like the looks of them. :(

I just picked up a Panny XR-55 as well and am wondering since it is a 7.1, is it possible/advisable to bi-amp, bi-wire the fronts?

For what it's worth, I'm probably 90% ht, 5% audio, 5% gaming.

Thanks!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What are you saying here....:confused:

Is the XL speaker the one that doesn't match?

Need some more explaining.

SheepStar

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
opinion8d said:
I'm a newbie but I've been trying to read up a lot recently...

Had an opportunity to pick up a non-matching set of Energy speakers and was wondering what is the consensus of having a non-matched set on sound quality?

Thanks!
Your front speakers should all be the same (left, right, and center). Some people like the same speaker used for the mains, to be used as the center channel. Some like to use a reg. center channel. The rears can be different speakers then the mains, but you should really try to keep them the same as the fronts. (Ex--Paradigm Studio 20's for the front 3, and Mini-Monitor's for the rears.)

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
What you are trying to achieve with matched speakers is a "seamless" soundfield. In my experience with a hodgepodge of different speakers (fronts, center, surrounds) I could always tell when the surrounds were firing, because they had slightly different timbre than the rest. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but with my new timbre-matched set, I get a much more "immersive" experience. The speakers blend perfectly with no glaring differences.

O

opinion8d

Audiophyte
I guess I'm just torn between getting a standard setup or is it worthwhile to mix-and-match for slightly better individuals.

Standard Energy "Connoisseur" product line:
C-C3
C-7
C-R3 rears

"Connoisseur" product line option:
(Q1) C-3 bookshelf speakers are highly rated it seems but are they an improvement over C-R3 as rears?

"Reference Connoisseur" product line option:
(Q2) RC-30 (if my wife allows it) is in the newer product line, so is it better to replace the C-7s with this?

"XL" product line:
(Q3) Older product line model "XL-250" is a floor-standing tower that was designed as multifunctional l/r/rears and is comparable in price to the C-3 from above question #1. So is it even better to pickup a pair of XL-250s?

Thanks for the input so far. Much appreciated!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Even across their lines, they will still sound somewhat similar, so I don't see a problem with going with a nicer front three and surrounds from a line below them. That's how my previous setup was and it works fine. Go with the best front stage you can afford and if that means stepping down on the surrounds, I still say it's a good plan because the front stage is more important. It is obviously best to go with the same line all around, but it doesn't have to be that way, and you can always upgrade the surrounds down the road.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The RC line is very expensive, Atleast here. I would stick within the C line. Being an energy fanboy myself, It would just look better (WAF). It would also not sound any worse.

Personally, I would go all Veritas i :rolleyes:

SheepStar

P

pedy100

Audiophyte
e.XL and RC Mix

How serendipitous…I called/talked to Energy today about the very same issue. Energy’s bottom line was “front stage sonic matching should not be a problem with the e:XL/RC products due to tweet design/manufacturing…”

Ergo, I ran out and picked up a RC-LCR to compliment my e:XL-26 front speakers. I use e:XL-25 for SACD surround and/or e:XL-R for HT. Got rid of 7.1 and I’m sticking with 5.1 for personal reasons (50% SACD / 50% HT). Also, I bi-wired the 25’s and LCR and bi-amped the 26’s using Kimber cable. Speakers are being driven by a Denon 3806. Sub is Velodyne DD-12.

My personal opinion (and again we all have opinions) – smooth as silk. Listened to Tony Bennett and Bob Dylan this evening and have the movie “Stealth” playing as I type this post (the kids like the jets…). Superb transitions from channel to channel with Dolby Digital and everything blended so well (at least to my ear) with SACD. I understand I’m leaving out several technical details/terms; however, considering all seven speakers were purchased new within the last two months (I found an Energy dealer going out of business) and the total cost was under $1300.00 I could not be happier – with the cost and sound…

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis