I'm having real problems buying this guy's story.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Come on, your killin me here^:D
He was able to make a cell phone call, and pull on the floor mat..... but couldn't put his car in neutral when asked...:rolleyes:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Easy to say when you're not in that situation. There are any number of books on what happens in panic situations. For example, Into the Kill Zone - A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force by Klinger. Your entire persona changes as well as your reasoning abilities and not in predictable ways when faced with stress and the possibility of imminent life threatening danger. Besides, I'm not killin' you. Toyota is.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I don't doubt that there's a pedal problem. I'm just have trouble adding this one up.

Possible Urban Legend and Junk science of this kind tends to move fast. Real science takes time to catch up with and squash this kind of intellectual cockroach. This similar problem almost bankrupt Audi, before it was deemed "driver error." In America, where we can't attach blame to anyone whose name doesn't end with 'Inc.', it was called "pedal misapplication." And unsurprisingly, it's not just Audi and or Toyota drivers who commit it.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I hear the NTSB will be looking into it and btw, it's not junk science, just science you never heard of.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There's actually been talk about doing just that. Problem is that insurance companies plan on using the information obtained for a basis of paying claims.
The ECM on Mercruiser fuel injected motors stores RPM data and have for years. If they're not doing this with cars, I'd bet that it's an ACLU privacy deal.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I hear the NTSB will be looking into it and btw, it's not junk science, just science you never heard of.
Sounds like were talking about two different things...
I'm having trouble with this 'one' guy, and this 'one' incident; something just doesn't add up for me.
btw, politics and money trumps science of all kinds, always has and always will.:D

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I find the person's story entirely reasonable. In a panic situation, such as this, depending upon an individual's heartrate, adrenaline levels, and respiratory rates, the ability to look at a situation normally, starts to break down. For sure there are optimum zones for these things in people and their ability to function optimally. You'll see it in competition like when a player who just scores an inordinate amount of points is interviewed and tells everyone that the basket just looked really big. That's why people who can be exposed to high stress situations - Secret Service, athletes, law personnel - practice in real life situations. Because once your heart rate goes above a certain level, your cognitive, reasoning, vision, auditory, and motor skills break down.

This man was in a high stress environment. He knew about Toyota's problems. He knew about the fatalities. Now he was in that same scenario on a freeway with his car taking off and what might appear to be reasonable alternatives to you and me here sitting typing with our heart beating at 70 or so, his was probably pounding with elevated adrenaline levels. He was in panic mode and one that he never expected to be in nor had ever practiced for.

If he decides to sue, there will be plenty of medical data to support the decisions he made or didn't make. He's lucky.
Is that John E. Johnson Jr. testifying for the Plaintiff? :p

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Is that John E. Johnson Jr. testifying for the Plaintiff? :p
LOL!!! Not as good as the other one, but pretty funny nonetheless :) Has to do with some reading I did some time back of how people react under unexpected stresses including matters of life or death be it when faced with a gun or with winning/losing. They've done a lot of studies into areas about where we work at our optimum level. Gonna drive a Toyota?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
LOL!!! Not as good as the other one, but pretty funny nonetheless :) Has to do with some reading I did some time back of how people react under unexpected stresses including matters of life or death be it when faced with a gun or with winning/losing. They've done a lot of studies into areas about where we work at our optimum level.
Too bad he couldn't hold it together as well as this seven year old child.:D
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35794401/ns/today-today_people/
When threatened with a gun the 7 year old had the fortitude to bring his 6 year old sister and the phone into the bathroom, and call 911.
That little kid did more in 90 seconds, than that guy could handle in 23 minutes.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Ever since the Toyota story broke you KNOW that there have been/will be two things:

people that get in accidents of their own doing and blame it on the car.

People that stage accidents or near misses in order to try and cash in on a lawsuit.

You just know it, it's the way our society works.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I find the person's story entirely reasonable. In a panic situation, such as this, depending upon an individual's heartrate, adrenaline levels, and respiratory rates, the ability to look at a situation normally, starts to break down. For sure there are optimum zones for these things in people and their ability to function optimally. You'll see it in competition like when a player who just scores an inordinate amount of points is interviewed and tells everyone that the basket just looked really big. That's why people who can be exposed to high stress situations - Secret Service, athletes, law personnel - practice in real life situations. Because once your heart rate goes above a certain level, your cognitive, reasoning, vision, auditory, and motor skills break down.

This man was in a high stress environment. He knew about Toyota's problems. He knew about the fatalities. Now he was in that same scenario on a freeway with his car taking off and what might appear to be reasonable alternatives to you and me here sitting typing with our heart beating at 70 or so, his was probably pounding with elevated adrenaline levels. He was in panic mode and one that he never expected to be in nor had ever practiced for.

If he decides to sue, there will be plenty of medical data to support the decisions he made or didn't make. He's lucky.
You're confusing cause and effect. Perceived danger releases epinephrine/adrenaline which causes an increase in heart rate, energy mobilization, electrical impulse transmission velocity, tidal volume, sensory acuity, and alertness. These effects have nothing to do with the impaired cognition typically displayed during stressful situations other than the fact that they are mediated by the same hormones. Increased heart rate will not impair mental functioning; it's the stress hormones that are responsible for this effect.

The psychological response to stress is extremely variable and cannot be derived from normative changes in physiology. The general trend, however, is towards an impulsive, reflexive reaction. That is the cause of the diminished cognitive and reasoning abilities. You don't act stupid because your heart rate and respiration goes up.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't mean to imply that just an increase in heartrate and respiration was responsible for 'acting stupid'. Under stressful conditions though they're indicators and can be related to the ability to perform optimally and without impaired abilities. I appreciate your response and find that it jive's with my layman's understanding that the person may have been under sufficient stress that his reasoning ability was impaired. BTW, has he sued?

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
It does not seem like it was staged to get rich. You won't win much money suing Toyota for sending you on a joyride that does not end in death or serious injury.

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
From article:
"after the CHP caught up and told him to shift to neutral, but the driver shook his head no. Sikes told reporters he didn't go into neutral because he worried the car would flip"

Do they expect any logical person to believe that a guy with at least 40 years of driving experience, thinks his car will flip over if he puts it in neutral?

This is starting to remind me of the Witch Hunt that they did with Silicone breast implants.
There are a lot of dumb and/or uneducated people out there..I'll give you an example. My grandmother, God rest her soul, was living at my father's house. My father has a HT system and I tried to show her how to use the universal remotes. Her response was, "I don't want to push a button that could break the system." LOL, she was serious...I explained to her manufacturers of HT systems don't design a remote with a button that will break the system.

My grandmother had been watching TV since its commercial release in the 1940's...So, with that being said, it would not suprise me.

Harmon

Audioholic Intern
Good call, OP. I found it a little fishy too from the outset, but props to you for making the call publicly.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Investigators can't replicate runaway Prius:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gc_pIFqke7WxQovY3MnhcyIYiLgwD9EEG9680

"Every time the technician placed the gas pedal to the floor and the brake pedal to the floor the engine shut off and the car immediately started to slow down," the memo said.

"It does not appear to be feasibly possible, both electronically and mechanically that his gas pedal was stuck to the floor and he was slamming on the brake at the same time," according to the memo.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm seeing stories now that the test data doesn't support this guy's story. I always give people the benefit of the doubt till evidence comes out, but I admit I was leaning towards this guy being a fake.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm seeing stories now that the test data doesn't support this guy's story. I always give people the benefit of the doubt till evidence comes out, but I admit I was leaning towards this guy being a fake.
The article I read indicated they could not reproduce the event. Well, my question is how many unintended acceleration events can they reproduce on demand besides the floor mat? I doubt any hence the difficulty of getting to the problem that causes them. Such events have occurred even after the new fixes.So, they have no idea what is causing this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis