I'm going to go with a new LCR.

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
Man that looks fantastic!

I recommend you get an Auralex Subdude or Gramma for that SVS. I used one before and it really helped reduce bass transmission to the floor.
Thanks!

The gramma dimensions are 23 x 2.8 x 15, my sub is 25" H x 18" W x 25, will it matter if the sub hangs over the edges?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
Maybe I will make one out of 3/4 plywood and some type of foam blocks, I already have the plywood.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
You can certainly give it a shot. The effect may not be as good as an Auralex, but, it will certainly be better than nothing.

The thing about the foam is that it needs to be firm enough to take the weight but spring enough to effectively decouple the sub from the floor by spreading the weight evenly across the contact patch.

Before you go building one and since the SVS already has a bass plate, you could just slip a foam pad under it and see how much it decouples. If you have a Guitar Center near by, they might have a Subdude in stock. You can switch the raw foam pad to the Subdude and see if the improvement is worth the money.

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
You can certainly give it a shot. The effect may not be as good as an Auralex, but, it will certainly be better than nothing.

The thing about the foam is that it needs to be firm enough to take the weight but spring enough to effectively decouple the sub from the floor by spreading the weight evenly across the contact patch.

Before you go building one and since the SVS already has a bass plate, you could just slip a foam pad under it and see how much it decouples. If you have a Guitar Center near by, they might have a Subdude in stock. You can switch the raw foam pad to the Subdude and see if the improvement is worth the money.
How thick of a foam pad would be best? I have 4 of monitor isolation wedges from foam factor, would they work? Improve speaker sound, Acoustical Foam Monitor Isolation Wedges

What about for my walls?

Last edited:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
How thick of a foam pad would be best? I have 4 of monitor isolation wedges from foam factor, would they work? Improve speaker sound, Acoustical Foam Monitor Isolation Wedges

What about for my walls?
The monitor wedges might be too soft and collapse under the SVS. If they can take the load, give it a shot. The decoupling will not be as good since you have 4 relatively small contact patch.

The floor bounce probably requires a thicker carpet and the ceiling bounce a diffraction panel.

The walls are a bit tricky. Start with the first reflection points. The gap between the yellow wall decoration and the poster on the floor.

Gik Acoustics and Real Traps have excellent educative content related to correctly treating a room.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If your sub-flooring is concrete, then a Subdude won't do much.
If it was naked concrete or tile, I agree. But, the hardwood panels (with underlayment over solid concrete) will still act as sounding boards for bass frequencies.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
If it was naked concrete or tile, I agree. But, the hardwood panels (with underlayment over solid concrete) will still act as sounding boards for bass frequencies.
On the wood floors I have seen that have concrete sub-flooring, I have only seen a plastic film between the two.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis