if you were spending my money.....

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
I'm down to the Denon 3808 vs. Marantz 8002. I am about 80% video/20% audio, so I'm leaning towards the Denon as it hs 4hdmi vs. 3hdmi for Marantz. Currently, I'd use 2 hdmi inputs (PS3 for gaming/blu-ray and DVR), leaving 2 open on the Denon and 1 open on the Marantz with everything running to the Pioneer Plasma through 1 hdmi. I can't think of what else I would hook up via hdmi (because I wouldn't get a 2nd gaming system or a dedicated Blu-Ray) which is why the Marantz is still in contention, but something makes me more comfy about having 2 free vs. 1. I suppose I could get the DVR back to compenent if pressed way in the future as that is how I have it connected now and it looks more than fine. Also, I like the volume leveler to keep commercials from being so loud (even though 50% of viewing is from the DVR and I fast-forward through commercials).

My biggest concern would be reliablity (although I know both are champs) in case I don't buy from an authroized dealer. I guess it's like deciding between a Honda and a Toyota :)

For main/centers, its Energy Veritas 2.2i/2.0 vs. NHT Classic Three/matching center. Cost is no object (Energy=$1,325 vs. NHT $1,250).

Had Klipsch before and don't like anything overly bright though I doubt either of these would be on that level since they don't have horns. I have a 12" Velodyne sub that I use sometimes so I'd want the monitors to have decent low-end.

Interested to see what your choice would be.

J

jamie2112

Banned
By horn are you meaning Tweeter? If so BOTH have tweeters, as almost all speakers have. The energy speakers are very nice but I have not heard them. The NHT I have heard and liked alot. I would add SVS to the list as they have a great 5.1 system available now.http://www.svsound.com/products-sys.cfm

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the input. I know what a tweeter is :) I suppose I should have specified "horn-loaded" tweeter. Anyhow, I'll take a look at SVS, but their first love/specialty is subs, so I'd be inclined to stick to Engergy or NHT.....same premise for the Denon vs. Marantz as opposed to looking at Sony or something.

Anyone else chime in?

Brian_the_King

Brian_the_King

Full Audioholic
If it was my money between your two options I'd get the Denon.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
I really love my Marantz 8001. Are you sure the 8002 has only 3 hdmi? My 8001 has 4 in, 2 outs, and I would think it would be the same. As far as I remember, the 8002 only added hi-def decoding and hd radio. All these specs seem to blur; I think I've read too many manuals.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one. I've heard some glittering generalities that Denon has more bells and whistles and Marantz has better sound quality, but I recommend you take that for what it is worth.

Both have very good authorized online dealers too, if you are into the refurb market.

dakmart.com is one place for denon
accessories4less.com is for Marantz (that's who I bought mine from, and they were great).

Good luck, I think you are going to be quite pleased.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Same two AVRs that made it to my final cut. They are both very good AVRs and you can't go wrong with either. The 3808 won out in my case because I could haggle the price lower on it vs. what I could get the Marantz down to.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Without introducing new options, I would take Marantz over Denon, but both are good choices. I'd also take NHT over Energy myself.

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
Without introducing new options, I would take Marantz over Denon, but both are good choices. I'd also take NHT over Energy myself.

Are you going off of specs, brand loyalty, the look, or that you heard both and prefer NHT? Or some other or combination of reasons? Just looking for insight.

OHHHHH, and I found a hifi shop that actually carries Energy AND NHT that is about 3.5 hours away in Houston! I could not believe that I could find them both under one roof. I think I'll head that way tomorrow since I'll be off.

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
I really love my Marantz 8001. Are you sure the 8002 has only 3 hdmi? My 8001 has 4 in, 2 outs, and I would think it would be the same. As far as I remember, the 8002 only added hi-def decoding and hd radio. All these specs seem to blur; I think I've read too many manuals.

I don't think you would go wrong with either one. I've heard some glittering generalities that Denon has more bells and whistles and Marantz has better sound quality, but I recommend you take that for what it is worth.

Both have very good authorized online dealers too, if you are into the refurb market.

dakmart.com is one place for denon
accessories4less.com is for Marantz (that's who I bought mine from, and they were great).

Good luck, I think you are going to be quite pleased.

That is generally what I've read/heard as well.....bells & whistles vs. musicality (while also noting Denon is NO slouch musically). I hope you're right and I'm wrong on the hdmi count. It seems counterintuitive to subtract one on a newer model. If that's the case, I'd rather just get the 8001 and save some money. I will check the specs again.

Regarding your purchase, you got yours refurbed? How long have you had it since your purchase? Still running well? Cosmetically, did it look new? I've never bought refurb, even from an authorized dealer, and am a little nervous about it. Share your experience w/me if you don't mind.

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
Same two AVRs that made it to my final cut. They are both very good AVRs and you can't go wrong with either. The 3808 won out in my case because I could haggle the price lower on it vs. what I could get the Marantz down to.

Did you end up getting it online or locally? Also if it was from the same place (denon and marantz) I'm guessing the "cost" was lower on the Denon or it was marked up more?

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
mperfct, you're right on the hdmi....looked at so many models my head is spinning apparently.

Ok, so now that hdmi is a non-issue, all things being equal, the only thing that is a plus for me to give the edge to Denon is the volume-leveler for commercials. But like I mentioned earlier, I watch at least 50 % dvr. I was getting that feature mostly for my wife, but since the lower model denons have that feature as well, maybe i could get her a 1909 or 2309 for our "non-dvr" tv and get a marantz for the living room.....now there's an idea!

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Regarding your purchase, you got yours refurbed? How long have you had it since your purchase? Still running well? Cosmetically, did it look new? I've never bought refurb, even from an authorized dealer, and am a little nervous about it. Share your experience w/me if you don't mind.
I did get mine refurbed, and if it wasn't marked as such on the outside of the box, I would have guessed it brand new. An authorized dealer will give you a full warranty, and I bought a 3 year extension for minimal dollars, I don't remember, but I think it was less than a hundred. Acc4less should have it on their website.

I would totally buy another receiver or any piece of HT gear that way. Perfect experience!

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
Has anyone experienced positive refurb results w/Denon as mperfct has with Marantz?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Yes my 3802 was a refurb. It has been a great unit for the last 2 years for me. No problems whatsoever and gobs of juice. I would go for Denon myself....:D

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
To continue the trend of what has been said thus far---both of these AVRs are great units. And Audioholics gave a very favorable review of the 7002---the Marantz definitely seems like more of a purists type of AVR but very strong nonetheless. That being said, I love my 3808 and would happily cast another vote for it....

T

typehxr1

Audioholic Intern
Yes my 3802 was a refurb. It has been a great unit for the last 2 years for me. No problems whatsoever and gobs of juice. I would go for Denon myself....:D
Where did you pick one up? Dakmart?

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
Dakmart is the most reliable place to purchase the Denon's refurbished as they are fully backed and come with warranty....I have been told to be weary of alot of the 'refurbs' that you see on Ebay and such---aside those from Dakmart. The Denon site tells you who the certified refurbished sellers are...

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
Dakmart is the most reliable place to purchase the Denon's refurbished as they are fully backed and come with warranty....I have been told to be weary of alot of the 'refurbs' that you see on Ebay and such---aside those from Dakmart. The Denon site tells you who the certified refurbished sellers are...
Very important to go to the manufacturer's website and verify who is authorized and who is not. You don't want to drop 1g on a receiver and have it smoke 5 months later and you be left without a leg to stand on.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I'm down to the Denon 3808 vs. Marantz 8002. I am about 80% video/20% audio, so I'm leaning towards the Denon as it hs 4hdmi vs. 3hdmi for Marantz. Currently, I'd use 2 hdmi inputs (PS3 for gaming/blu-ray and DVR), leaving 2 open on the Denon and 1 open on the Marantz with everything running to the Pioneer Plasma through 1 hdmi. I can't think of what else I would hook up via hdmi (because I wouldn't get a 2nd gaming system or a dedicated Blu-Ray) which is why the Marantz is still in contention, but something makes me more comfy about having 2 free vs. 1. I suppose I could get the DVR back to compenent if pressed way in the future as that is how I have it connected now and it looks more than fine. Also, I like the volume leveler to keep commercials from being so loud (even though 50% of viewing is from the DVR and I fast-forward through commercials).

My biggest concern would be reliablity (although I know both are champs) in case I don't buy from an authroized dealer. I guess it's like deciding between a Honda and a Toyota :)

For main/centers, its Energy Veritas 2.2i/2.0 vs. NHT Classic Three/matching center. Cost is no object (Energy=$1,325 vs. NHT $1,250).

Had Klipsch before and don't like anything overly bright though I doubt either of these would be on that level since they don't have horns. I have a 12" Velodyne sub that I use sometimes so I'd want the monitors to have decent low-end.

Interested to see what your choice would be.
IMO the Veritas 2.2i are better speakers than the Classic 3.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
This is driving me nuts! If I were spending your money I would buy me a plane ticket to Hawaii. There, I feel much better now... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis