If you had $1500 to $2000 for a LED TV with 240Hz

B

BEMGOLF

Enthusiast
Which one would you get. This is a family room TV and mainly Sports and some movies will be watched on it? List your top five. I realize LED 240 Hz would be hard to get in that price range so just get close.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Which one would you get. This is a family room TV and mainly Sports and some movies will be watched on it? List your top five. I realize LED 240 Hz would be hard to get in that price range so just get close.
If you had $1500 to $2000 for a LED TV with 240Hz I would get a Panasonic Plasma like TC-P55ST50 or TC-P60ST50

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
+1

I have a panasonic plasma and I love it. Left LED and LCD and never looked back.

B

BEMGOLF

Enthusiast
If you had $1500 to $2000 for a LED TV with 240Hz I would get a Panasonic Plasma like TC-P55ST50 or TC-P60ST50
The room has a double bay window and a playstation 3 will be played on this. Someone told me about the glare that is on plasma and also burn it effect. I was thinking LED to avoid that. Are plasma's getting any better with those two concerns?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
The room has a double bay window and a playstation 3 will be played on this. Someone told me about the glare that is on plasma and also burn it effect. I was thinking LED to avoid that. Are plasma's getting any better with those two concerns?
How a TV handles glare is dependent on if it has a glossy or matte screen. Both technologies offer both types of screen and there are different anti glare filters that different companies use. So you can buy a plasma with a anti glare filter and a LCD/LED with a glossy screen. LCD/LED filters are usually more effective though.

Don't confuse burn in with temporary image retention. Both are not an issue on modern plasma displays. You would have to be negligent to actually achieve either. I have two plasmas (one Panasonic and one Samsung) and have had a PS3, Xbox360 and a Wii connected and have never experienced either. (with an 11yo boy in the house...:))

For sports and gaming I would buy a plasma but if the glare is really bad you may be better off with an LCD/LED with an aggressive anti glare filter. Research LED's for input lag as far as gaming goes.

So my point is you need to look at each individual TV and not a technology as a whole. I haven't looked at TV's in over a year and a half so I'm not up on the current models.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
What's your viewing distance?

Figure out the distance from your eyes to the screen in inches. Multiply that number by 0.615 to get your SMPTE recommended diagonal screen size. For example, if you sit with your eyes 10 feet from the screen, that would be a viewing distance of 120 inches:

120 x 0.615 = 73.8"

So from 10 feet away, the SMPTE would recommend a 73.8" diagonal screen size in order to give you the ideal 30 degree field of view for HD content.

The SMPTE recommended screen size is often significantly larger than people expect. But having that 30 degree field of view is really nice once you get used to it! You get to see all of the detail in HD content without being so close that you start to see individual lines or pixels in a 1080p display ;)

Anywho, at the moment, Panasonic's plasmas are the best consumer displays available - especially at their very reasonable price points.

If you have a lot of sunlight coming into your room while you watch though, plasmas DO wash out a little bit. It's not the end of the world or anything. But those lovely, inky blacks do turn a bit grey under sunlight or bright room lighting.

Glare and reflections are not really a problem. Panny's plasmas have a very good anti-glare/anti-reflective coating on the glass panel. But you do lose a bit of the deep blacks under lighting and you lose a bit of the "pop" and "wow" under lighting as the contrast decreases and the peak brightness of the plasma can look a little bit "dull" when there is sunlight or bright room lighting.

As for playing videogames, genuine "burn in" is pretty much a total non-issue these days. I do still spot a bit of non-permanent image retention from time to time though. During the first few hundred hours of use is when you're most likely to see some image retention and when you'll want to be most careful. With my Pioneer Kuro, I had image retention from playing games. Enough that it scared me away from playing games on that display for a good long while! Now that the Kuro plasma has fully "settled in" after several hundred hours of use though, I've gone back to playing games on it from time to time. I see no traces of image retention on it now. The Panny plasmas are much the same.

I will say though, personally, for a sunlit or brightly lit room, and for videogames still, I do prefer a good LCD with a matte screen surface. I have a 55" LG 55LH90, which is a full-array, local-dimming LED backlit LCD. Under sunlight, its blacks remain blacker than my Kuro and its peak white remains brighter. So the image actually looks better than the Kuro under lighting. It's also great for games and there's zero worry about any image retention.

I have a Sharp 70" LC-70LE735U being shipped to me as we speak. This is also a full-array LED backlit LCD, but with no local-dimming. Both of these LCDs have matte screens, which, IMO, is a MUST! Almost all other LCDs have a stupid glossy screen surface that I personally find unwatchable. While the glossy screens to a great job of retaining inky black levels and high contrast under lighting, they also act like a freaking mirror! They might have an anti-glare coating, but there's nothing to reduce the reflections. I can easily see my own reflection looking back at me with any of the glossy screen LCDs (which is almost all of them, unfortunately :( ). It's also extremely easy to see strong reflections of any light sources - like a lamp or something.

So, to sum up:

If you have sunlight or bright room lighting when you watch, a Panny plasma will look ok under those conditions, but definitely not its best. It isn't the glare or reflections (which are better than a glossy LCD). But the blacks turn a bit grey and the peak white looks a bit dull. Burn in isn't an issue, but you might spot a bit of image retention, especially when the panel is new and still "settling" during the first few hundred hours. Overall though, the Panny plasmas are the best flat panel TVs available.

If sunlight and bright lighting are common for you, I WOULD recommend considering a good, matte screen LCD. Forget all about the "Hz". 120, 240, 480Hz. It's all meaningless. If you want motion to look normal and not all weird like everything is a soap opera, you're going to wind up turning off any 120 or 240Hz processing anyway! So do NOT get caught up in any "Hertz" marketing numbers!

You're right to want LED backlighting, but you have to make sure it is "full-array" LED backlighting, and not the crappy "edge" lighting that you'll mostly find these days. With almost all LCDs, I can easily spot uneven backlighting, backlighting where the corners or edges are lighter than the middle of the screen, lighting that is "cloudy" with "splotches" of lighter or darker areas, or just TERRIBLE off-axis viewing. IMO, full-array LED backlighting is the only thing worth considering with an LCD. Combine that with a matte screen, and you have a good solution for a bright or sunlit room.

Unfortunately, your choices are extremely limited! For the 55" size, you have to look at models that came out a couple or 3 years ago! The Vizio XVT553SV is your best bet. It's still widely available online. Well within your price range. And it's a very nice full-array, local-dimming LED backlit LCD with a matte screen in the 55" size!

Remember the SMPTE size recommendation though. You might easily be sitting far enough away that a 70" screen size would be totally appropriate! At that size, the Sharp LC-70LE732U will be near the top of your budget, but you should still be able to squeeze it under ;)

Sharp is replacing the excellent 70" 73xU series with a crappy edge-lit 74xU series for 2012, so right now is a great time to pick up a 73xU unit on clearance!

The Sharp LC-70LE73xU TVs are excellent. They are full-array LED backlit. No local-dimming, but that's ok. The black levels are still nice and deep and there's no "blooming", so it's actually a plus! Most of all, they have a matte screen!

So take your pick:

Panasonic TC-PxxST30 or ST50 plasma in a 50, 55, 60 or 65 inch screen size

Vizio XVT553SV for a 55" LCD

or Sharp LC-70LE73xU for a 70" LCD

Hope that helps!

D

dc6

Junior Audioholic
I am unfortunately experiencing some image retention in my Panny Plasma g20. I never had seen that before after playing many hours and with a 10 and a 9 year old on it a lot untill the other day.The TV is well broken in as it is a 2010 model and has many hours on it. I love the tv and the quality of the picture is amazing. I am just concerned with this new retention event I am seeing.Happens only with 20 mins of playing online or a game with a permanent pic in the screen...

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
I don't know if your model has it but some panny's have the burn-in removal tool. I've never had a problem with it myself, so I haven't used it.

D

dc6

Junior Audioholic
I don't know if your model has it but some panny's have the burn-in removal tool. I've never had a problem with it myself, so I haven't used it.
Mine has the Scrolling bar which I have used 3 times in the last day to try and remove the image. I am going to move the ps3 to my small tv and see if it goes away over the next few days.It is still noticeable on the screen when the picture is on a bright screen.Don't know how I am going to stand playing on a 20 inch screen.LOL

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
Im curious as to why they don't have plasmas available that are just a little bigger than 65". Why is 65" the biggest they get? You would think that they sell a lot in the 70 to 75" area?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
LG had a 71" plasma. Panasonic has an 85, 103, and 150 inch model as well.

The price jump for the bigger sizes is ridiculous right now, so hopefully we will see Panasonic really step up with some lower prices. But, with Sharp setting the pricing bar so low with their 70 and 80 inch LCD models, it's very hard to compete with I believe.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I know you're in the market for a LED. However, if you don't mind a bit of thickness and not being able to mount a panel on the wall, you can get a 82" RP DLP for less than $2k.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
It looks like the panasonic plasmas larger than 65" are only their professional series with a lot of automation options that consumers would have to pay a lot for and don't need. There any larger sanely priced ones supposed to be coming out any time soon for mainstream consumers?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like Amazon's blowing out the Samsung plasma's for the new models. You can get their top of the line 59" D8000 for just under 2 Grand!

I absolutely LOVE my new Samsung plasma.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I got my Samsung 55" LED and I am very happy with it. The blacks are obviously not as good as a Plasma, but man does it look good otherwise. Set it to a brighter mode and it can be viewed just fine with the windows open during the day.

N

norml4721

Audioholic Intern
LED Vs Plasma

HI :

Just thought that I would add my 2 cents. If I were you I would check out the 65 inch Panny Vt series. You can pick one up for about $2300 now on line. Price keeps going down as thay are coming out with a new line. wait a few months and the price may go down even further.

My opinion only a much better picture than anything mentioned above. If you burn in a plasma properly you should have no problems.

Regardless good luck and be shure to enjoy your new TV.

Best,

Norm L.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis