If the price was the exact same which of these setups?

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
System 1 - Emotiva Speakers

Emotiva XPA-5 - Amp
ERT-8.3 - Front Mains
ERM-6.3 - Center
XRS-4.1 - Surrounds
2x Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subs

System 2 - Emp Tek Speakers
Emotiva XPA-5 - Amp
Emp Tek E55Ti - Mains
E56Ci - Center
E55Wi - Surrounds
2x Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subs

Since I haven't hear either setup and both allow returns, which setup would most likely provide the best Home Theater immersion for movies?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The one that sounds best to your ears. :) Order both and return the "loser;" it'll be more than worth the return shipping knowing you chose the best product.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If this were an exam back in the school days, I would pick EMP.

Could be a toss up, though.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't heard either of these, but on paper it does sound like a toss up to me. I do feel that auditioning is really what is going to be the way to decide. A pair of the mains from each will definitely tell you.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
System 1 - Emotiva Speakers

Emotiva XPA-5 - Amp
ERT-8.3 - Front Mains
ERM-6.3 - Center

Since I haven't hear either setup and both allow returns, which setup would most likely provide the best Home Theater immersion for movies?
I have that setup, plus more (pair of 6.2, 6 ERD-1's, UPA-7) and I love 'em. I had Klipsch before and these were a huge step up. I like the clarity of the 8.3 compared to the Klipsch, and they aren't nearly as harsh. The build quality and finish are excellent. Also they are very heavy, (good thing?). Plus, they handle a ton of power if you push them. Oh yeah, Emotiva has awesome customer service and warranty.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
You won't go wrong with either, but agree on ordering both and returning the set you like least.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The EMPs offers more voice coils in the bass range so it might have better headroom.

The Emotiva uses 2 8" drivers so you will likely have better bass performance from them. I actually lean toward the emotiva because it allows you to better tailor the response to your room.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Made up my mind

Enough sitting on the fence for me, I have been back and forth for weeks on my HT system and finally pulled the trigger today, I am excited to say the least.

My last HT:
Mitsubishi 65" DLP - $1300
Onkyo HTIB - $600
Couch & Love Seat with recliners

Just bought:
Epson 6010 Projector
VAPEX 120" Tab-Tension Electric screen
Denon 3312 AVR
Panamax M5300-PM
EMP E55Ti Mains
EMP E56Ci Center
EMP E55Wi Surrounds
EMP E5Bi Satellites
2x Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subs
Emotiva XPA-5 Amp
PS3 for Blu-Ray
6x Power Recliner HT Seats

Total: $12,000

When we rebuilt our home after the fire, I let my wife pick out most everything(hardwood floors, granite, furniture) with the one caveat. I get to make a dedicated HT room. I think I did a good bit of damage and will enjoy the 16'x24' room I bribed my way into. haha

Plan is to power all the speakers with the XPA-5 except for the satellites which I will let the AVR handle.

I learned a lot of things on these forums and realize that it is impossible to ask a bunch of random people to tell you what is best for you when it comes to a theater setup. I had to get off the fence and make a decision. Worse case, the speakers can go back and I start over from there. :eek:

Thank all of you who has helped me along the way, even if you don't realize you did help in some way.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Um, hello!? This is the internet, what the heck is this mature sense of responsibility you are trying to convey to us?

You know the routine, post pretty pics for us to drool over!

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Ya done good, son! :D

Yeah, every product you've bought is super high in value - the kind where you've got to spend at least double - often more than double - for any kind of real improvement. Everything you've got there is a top pick in its price class, IMO. Your friends and relatives are going to be super impressed. And while it's not exactly cheap, you're still going to be grinning when you think of how little you actually paid for the level of quality you're going to experience.

Your excitement is WELL deserved. Well done, I must say :D

From this excellent set of gear, I'd add a few more items that we've talked about via PM:

- I'd add a battery backup UPS to protect your projector, your DVR (if you add one) and anything else with a cooling fan or hard drive. APC is easily the way to go for battery UPS protection. The J35B would probably be the best fit since you don't need to plug everything into the UPS and it's a nice, thin unit that still has substantial battery life to keep a DVR recording during a power outage ;) Alternatives would be the J25B (similar, but no voltage regulation) or the J15BLK (larger, more battery outlets)

- With the dual LFM-1 EX subs (SUCH a great deal with that sale that just ended...so glad you jumped on that :) ) and their downward firing configuration and spike "feet", I'd highly, highly recommend getting a pair of Auralex GRAMMA isolation risers. They are the perfect platform to give the drivers downward clearance (if you have carpet, it might get in the way if the sub sinks down into the carpet pad). I'm also a huge proponent of decoupling subwoofers and speakers. With the spike "feet" of the subs, you are almost certain to couple the subs to the floor without a decoupling device. Having your subs decoupled will decrease the structure-borne transmission of vibrations into other rooms - meaning you will bother people in other rooms less...always a big plus ;) Within the theater, decoupling can sometimes have audible benefits, though not always. Reduction of the physical vibrations of the floor, walls and ceiling can decrease secondary resonances though (sounds created by the vibrating walls), and that can have audible benefits sometimes, depending on the construction of your house. Regardless, a pair of GRAMMA risers is a very worthwhile purchase IMO as they will allow your Outlaw subs to perform to their maximum capabilities.

- Speaker of maximum capabilities, no system is defined by the gear alone. The room itself is 50% of the system. So first up, it's very important to be able to measure your audio system and be able to get a good idea of the frequency response at your various seats. A good measurement mic - like the Dayton EMM-6 or Behringer ECM8000 -, a USB interface that provides phantom power for the mic - like the ART USB Dual Pre -, a microphone stand (with a boom) and a nice long microphone cable are all you need to get some great measurements with your laptop and the free Room EQ Wizard (REW) software :D

- Once you measure, you can set to work on resolving any issues with dips or peaks in your response. First line of defence is simply proper placement and finding spots for your twin subs that produce no major dips in the bass.

- In order to reduce the severity of your dips and peaks, and in order to reduce your early reflection points from your speakers (which can make dialogue harder to understand or make the sound less distinct and clear or muddy the imaging and soundstage), the second line of defence are passive room treatments. GiK Acoustics and Acoustimac offer great passive room treatments and low prices. A GiK Room Kit gets you pretty much all the absorption you will need with 4 large bass traps for the corners and several panels for the front wall, side walls and directly behind the seats on the back wall. GiK also has great diffusion panels to better scatter the surround effects in the back of the room and break up reflections off of the ceiling while still keeping the room sounding "live" and not too deadened.

- After things have been measured, placement optimized, measured again, passive room treatments installed, and measured yet again - if any troublesome peaks still exist, a separate EQ can take care of anything that your Denon's Audyssey MultEQ XT programme doesn't catch automatically. A separate EQ is your last line of defence, and in all likelihood, probably not going to be necessary in your case if you place things optimally and possibly install some passive room treatments. Audyssey MultEQ XT is a fairly decent EQ already! But on the off chance that all of that still lets some troublesome peaks through - or simply can't knock down the deepest bass peaks that are caused by room gain - you can get yourself a unit like the Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer to take care of things. Connect the DSP1124P to your laptop with a USB-to-MIDI interface and REW can automatically set the parametric equalizers for you! Or you can do it manually, if you like ;)

You're starting with great gear, so you're already well ahead of the game! Protecting it with a battery backup only makes sense. Giving your twin subs good clearance and decoupling from the structure so they can perform to their maximum only makes sense. And being able to measure is vital, IMO. From there, you'll be able to see and hear whether passive room treatments and separate EQ above and beyond Audyssey MultEQ XT will be beneficial. Personally, if budget allows, I'd go for at least a basic Room Kit for maximum dialogue clarity, imaging and soundstage. My bet is that a separate EQ won't be necessary if you take that worthwhile step ;)

Nothing like a new, awesome system to get us all jazzed up! Man, that's a nice setup. I think you're REALLY going to enjoy it :D

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Um, hello!? This is the internet, what the heck is this mature sense of responsibility you are trying to convey to us?

You know the routine, post pretty pics for us to drool over!
Pics will most definitely be forthcoming. So far, all I have is the projector, receiver, Panamax and PS3, I should have everything else by mid next week.

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
FirstReflection, I would just like to personally thank you. You really helped get me off the fence without telling me what I should get. You spilled out the pros and cons of each setup I considered and it really did help me drill down to what I felt would be the best bang for the buck. My total budget minus seating was $8,000 and that cost me $3,500, so I only overspent by $500. :D

I am looking forward to getting everything setup, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit intimidated at setting up all of this gear, I will take it slow and easy, most likely taking me a whole weekend.

Thanks again!

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Wow - well done! Those dual Outlaws are going to rock that room. :D

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Nice going! That list has the makings of an enviable dedicated HT.

So what was the clincher on speaker choice?

S

Savage40

Junior Audioholic
Nice going! That list has the makings of an enviable dedicated HT.

So what was the clincher on speaker choice?
Well, to be honest the speakers is what held me up the longest. For the price points, everything else was an easy decision after a good bit of reading and scouring these boards. As far as the projector, it was between the Epson and and the new Panasonic AE7000. The fact that I am an Epson distributor made that choice easy.

Speakers were so hard, I think I almost had an aneurysm trying to decide. What finally did it for me was that I was able to get this EMP package with the sub and a pair of satellites for the rear speakers for less than $2000 after my 10% discount for liking them on Facebook. Once my Outlaws arrive, this dual 10" sub will be taking a short trip to my Master bedroom. :)

EMP E55TiR Tower System II

Honestly though, I was looking hard at EMP, Emotiva, Swan Diva's (still like what I see with these), Verus Grands. However, in the end, I think I got a heck of a deal on the EMP's. While you can always spend more money and get better speakers, I don't think I will be disappointed with speakers that are related to RBH.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis