If it were you......which would you choose

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
SVS SB12-NSD or Rythmik F12SE?

I am trying to decide between these 2 subs and seek any and all comments regarding them. I will match the sub with a complete set of Def Tech (7004,2500,350). All of the statements about clean accurate bass have me totally confused. I have only had 1 other sub, a Paradigm PDR12. What kind of difference will I hear/feel with these subs? Most of my use will be for home theater. I have a fairly large room, 23x12, if that factors into the decision.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In that room, I would get at least two of either, as I don't think it would make a difference which you choose since you might not be able to hear just one. If you are on a tight budget, go for a ported sub instead, it should be more audible than a single sealed 12". If you just have to have a sealed sub on a tight budget, look at duals of the sealed subs from Emotiva or Elemental Designs.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
are you space limited? why not choose a ported sub?

that said, i have the SB12NSD in a room about 33% bigger than yours and it can hold it's own. BUT of course, the ported subs are naturally better at low frequency output.

Last edited:
B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
What's the difference between a ported or sealed sub?

The wife wants a smaller sub, that is why I focued on these 2. I don't have the room and don't really want to spend the $$ for 2 subs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
23x12 isn't that large for either of those subs, unless it is open to other areas also, but they might be pushing the limit depending on how loud you are looking to go.

What's the difference between a ported or sealed sub?
Ported has a "vent" or "port(s)" that allows air movement between the box and the room. That port can be tuned and allow for greater output around the tuning point. Tuned low, you can go deeper without needing as much power. With a sealed sub, the internal volume of air is isolated from the rest of the room (sealed in the enclosure) and generally to get the same kind of output as a vented sub you need more power.

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Just my two cents if you don't have the floor space you could look into one of SVS's cylinder subs.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The F12 has deeper extension than the SB12 if that matters to you.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Just my two cents if you don't have the floor space you could look into one of SVS's cylinder subs.
Yeah...and let us know how the tall black tube works with the wife. :)

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
23x12 isn't that large for either of those subs, unless it is open to other areas also, but they might be pushing the limit depending on how loud you are looking to go.

Ported has a "vent" or "port(s)" that allows air movement between the box and the room. That port can be tuned and allow for greater output around the tuning point. Tuned low, you can go deeper without needing as much power. With a sealed sub, the internal volume of air is isolated from the rest of the room (sealed in the enclosure) and generally to get the same kind of output as a vented sub you need more power.
I'm not looking for anything to shake the bricks loose, just want good quality sound. Can't turn it up too much.........scares the dog.

No way the wife would accept the SVS cylinder sub

A

aus10

Audioholic Intern

This is kinda off topic sorry im really new lol but i just got a sub a energy sub and its not ported and i think it sounds fine to me plenty of power and it too me sounds good, do you think it makes a big deal between the two? Do you need a like a ton more power for the same output? Thanks

C

cantonguy

Junior Audioholic
I love the look of the piano black Rythmik with silver cone. That was one of the reasons I bought my F15SE. I think these are pretty similar performance wise. The F12 will most likely have less overhang than the SVS, but both will be good. Don't let them scare you away by saying that sealed isn't enough for the room. It's tough to fill anything other than tiny rooms with a single subwoofer. If the sub is placed near the listening position... everything is all fine. Trust me, mine is positioned near field.

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
Does your Rhtymik have the auto on/off feature? That still bothers me

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
The SB12nsd is a great sub with both music and movies. It is also able to dig deeper than rated based on room placement. I would suspect a slight output advantage for the SVS though I admit I havent heard both. The DSP and limiters keeps the driver and amp well behaved with all demanding material and It has taken everything that I have thrown at it so far. The wife will also appreciate that its $300 cheaper currently than the rythmik as well. Money that you can put towards something else like an amp or sub eq for example

Also have you considerd the Emotiva Ultra 12 at $429 shipped? You could get two of those stacked for less than the price of a single F12SE. Two Epik Legends will cost you about the same too but the wife may not like that too much.:(

The Rythmik is quite attractive though and with it's known performance, you may very well both be happy with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis